Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib

Go down 
+3
TaLoN
Jarick
Cool Slovak
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cool Slovak

Cool Slovak

Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib Empty
PostSubject: Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib   Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 9:42 am

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/61941317.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUBP7hUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Quote :

Martin Havlat, known for being injury-prone early in his career, has had a healthy first training camp with the Wild.

By MICHAEL RUSSO, Star Tribune

So far in training camp, the Wild has been hit by a pandemic.

The dreaded groin injury seems to be circulating from player to player, with defenseman Kim Johnsson appearing as if he was the latest to be struck by the contagious ailment Friday in Chicago.

But one player who has avoided the injury thus far is Martin Havlat.

As Havlat says, "Knock on wood."

After problems earlier in Havlat's career, he seems to have solved the issue. Chicago Blackhawks assistant coach John Torchetti said he thinks he knows why.

"Nobody prepares before a game or a practice more than 'Grizzly,'" Torchetti said of Havlat. "His prepractice and pregame stretch is one of the most intense things I've ever seen. Forty minutes, and it's more rigorous than most people's workouts."

While some players do some quick stretching and then hop on the ice, Havlat commits himself to showing up well before practices and games. In an attempt to survive practices or games injury-free, Havlat then puts himself through his sweat-filled regimen.

"It's a warmup, to make sure I'm warm," Havlat said. "Basically, I'm doing everything I can not to get hurt. Some injuries are unfortunate. The impact injuries, you can't avoid. But I believe the small ones, you can avoid if you're warm."

After warming up, though, Havlat said it's important he hits the ice right away. For that reason, Wild coach Todd Richards likely will hold most meetings well before practices or games, or after practices.

"If you cool down, you can get hurt, so if possible, I like to practice or play right away," Havlat said. "I just do a lot of movement exercises. My body has to do some stuff to get ready for the ice. Everybody's different. I have my routine. Others have other routines. Everybody knows what they need to do to get ready."

Asked if Torchetti's claim of 40 minutes of the toughest pregame routine imaginable is accurate, Havlat said, "Noooooooooo."

He then smiled: "Twenty-five minutes."

Back to top Go down
Jarick

Jarick

PostSubject: Re: Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib   Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:43 pm

I need the details on his stretching routing, I've been pretty banged up from hockey lately.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib   Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 pm

We heard stuff like this on Gabby, such as his groin masseuse... Laughing
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib   Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Use the Ovechkin routine it loosens you up and helps you play better.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib   Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:47 pm

TaLoN wrote:

Notice when his masseuse err i mean Demetra is gone he gets injured.
Back to top Go down
KillerCarlson

PostSubject: Re: Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib   Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:43 pm

I don't know why this is such a big deal. Stretching helps prevent injury? OMG, what a shocker!?!?
Back to top Go down
wukwinn

wukwinn

PostSubject: Re: Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib   Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:54 pm

TaLoN wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM5aRWUtPZw
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib   Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:42 pm

KillerCarlson wrote:
I don't know why this is such a big deal. Stretching helps prevent injury? OMG, what a shocker!?!?

From what I got from that he takes it to a whole nother level just to be on par (injury resistant-wise) with the rest of the players. Not a big deal but perhaps a good reason as to why he has remained relatively healthy over the last 18 months
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib   Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stretching routine helps keep Havlat from injury bug_StarTrib
Page 1 of 1