Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread

Go down 
+14
Quisp
DougRiser
timotheuzi
wukwinn
OldTimeHockey
Wild_State_of_Hockey
BackStopBabe
Dee Oh Cee
CJayWild
Toewser
zamboni14
Kevin W
00Xtremeninja
TaLoN
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:15 am

zamboni14 wrote:
Toewser wrote:
I agree with their right to appeal, although it's tough to say for sure if they were trying to skirt the system. I'm tending to lean with them however, as I just kind of trust people, and I always question authority.

Funny though, as they just kind of danced around the iron hammer that Goodell has been dropping more or less.

well the way I understand it, they are appealing because there are other players who were also busted that aren't facing suspensions. If that's true, then by all means appeal till everyone gets fair treatment/punishment
Actually, they are appealing using Minnesota State Law that says they have the right to explain the situation, which the NFL did not allow.

IMO I think it's complete BS that the NFL knew for 2 years Star Caps had the banned substance but did not inform the players or list it on the banned substance list.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 12:22 am

From the Strib...

Gore ready for showdown with Peterson

By JANIE McCAULEY , Associated Press
Last update: September 23, 2009 - 4:59 PM

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Frank Gore got so much attention from his two long touchdown runs last week that even he grew sick of it.

Now he knows how Minnesota's Adrian Peterson must feel on Sundays and every day in between. Peterson even does commercials. His people call him "Purple Jesus" or "AD," short for all day.

Gore watched the highlights of his TD runs of 79 and 80 yards enough times that San Francisco's star running back finally turned the channel.

"I kinda got tired of watching the same thing over and over," he said.

Gore went untouched all the way to the end zone on long runs twice in a win against Seattle, setting a new career-high with the 79-yard run then later topping it to help the 49ers to a 2-0 start. The performance earned him NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors.

Gore called the recognition a "blessing," largely crediting his offensive line.

He didn't need to show off his improved strength by barreling through the defense. Did anybody even get a finger on him?

"None of 'em," Gore said with a grin.

For Peterson, it doesn't seem to matter how many would-be tacklers touch him, he still plows through with a vengeance.

Come Sunday, the two will be on the same field for a showdown of sorts to see who can pile up the most yards, game-breaking plays, touchdowns and, most of all, keep his team unbeaten.

"I know he's a great back but I really don't try to focus on that," Gore said. "I'm trying my best to go out there and be the best guy on the field, whatever it takes to get my team a win."

Same goes for Peterson, who says he's admired Gore since his college days at Miami but doesn't want to make this into a competition between the two.

"It's early, Week 3 we're going into. It's more than that to me," Peterson said Wednesday. "Frank Gore, he's dominating. I recognize talent and I recognize guys who run the ball hard. Frank Gore, that's what he does."

Gore's outstanding game in Week 2 and this upcoming trip to face the Vikings and Peterson — arguably the NFL's most dangerous and explosive running back — is generating all kinds of hype this week from Northern California to the Twin Cities.

A hot topic for so many reasons. They're Nos. 1 and 2 in the NFC in rushing: Peterson with 272 yards on 40 carries and Gore at 237 yards on 38 rushes after his sensational day against the Seahawks. He wound up with 207 yards on 16 carries. Peterson has four touchdowns, Gore three.

Gore bounced back from a poor season debut Sept. 13 at Arizona in which he had 30 yards on 22 carries and the 49ers finished with only 21 rushing yards, a franchise-worst in a win.

On Sunday, he sprained his right ankle and didn't even play most of the fourth quarter, needing only 5 yards to match the career best of 212 he set during his 2006 Pro Bowl season.

That's the year Gore is trying to duplicate, having spent a rigorous offseason back in familiar territory at the University of Miami under the direction of Hurricanes strength coach Andreu Swasey. He's been giving props to Swasey at every opportunity so far.

Gore called this the best training camp yet of his five-year NFL career. His intensity rubs off on others.

"I'm proud of him," tight end Vernon Davis said. "I really appreciate having him on the field."

Might Gore be in for a tough time against a stingy Minnesota defense?

"How can I say that, man?" he said.

The Vikings have been No. 1 in the NFL for rushing defense three years running, but have had their challenges the first two weeks.

"He's a top, elite back in the league and we're going to really have to be on our P's and Q's and watch a lot of film and make sure that we can get a lot of guys on him at all times," Vikings linebacker Ben Leber said.

The 49ers feel the same way about defending Peterson, whose size, speed, field vision and ability to change directions make him a threat to break a big play each time he touches the ball. San Francisco has missed its share of tackles in the first two weeks, too.

In 26 career starts, Peterson has 17 100-yard rushing games — giving him a career average of 105.4 yards, joining Jim Brown as the only players with 2,000-plus career yards to average more than 100 a game.

"It is a tremendous opportunity for us defensively to see where we are," 49ers coach Mike Singletary said. "He's a guy that you have to contain him every play. We're going to have our hands full. ... Stopping Peterson is not about one guy, it's about everybody doing their job."

And Peterson is beyond eager for a big day. The only time he faced the Niners previously, as a rookie in 2007, he was held to just 3 yards on 14 carries at San Francisco — the worst day of his career.

In particular, he remembers relentless 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis.

"I felt like I was getting attacked by bees in that game," Peterson said. "That's a game that sticks in my mind constantly. That was the worst game in my career. I'm not taking it lightly. ... I love Patrick Willis. I love the way he plays the game. He plays the game like me."

Last week, Peterson tossed his shoes into the stands during the Vikings' 27-13 victory at Detroit in which they rallied from an early 10-0 deficit, getting the go-ahead touchdown on Peterson's 27-yard run midway through he third quarter.

"I like showing fans love," Peterson said. "They show me a lot of respect, not all of them. Some of them don't like me but there are some Detroit fans out there that really like my game and how I play."

Gore, meanwhile, was so frustrated about his inability to run in Week 1 against the Cardinals that he called new offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, waking him up at 2 a.m. afterward to talk things over.

During a joint practice with the Raiders last month at Oakland's wine country training site, Gore had to be reined in by running backs coach Tom Rathman for going too hard in a hitting drill.

In the past, Raye said, he's received similar calls from stars like Marcus Allen, Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson.

"All the great ones that I've had, they have so much pride in their performance," Raye said. "They've had restless nights. Basically his call was more reassuring him we're going the right direction."

With Gore leading the way, the 49ers sure believe that's the case after a franchise-worst six straight losing seasons. In Minnesota, the Vikings know success will continue if they keep riding Peterson week after week.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 12:36 am

From the Strib...

Jim Souhan: Air Childress takes page from Burnsie's playbook

Short passes to control the ball worked for the Vikings before, and it's effective again.

The Vikings rank last in the NFL in passing yards. Brett Favre ranks first in the NFL in completion percentage.

Those statistics wouldn't be contradictory except that rumor has it -- and I'm not sure if this is true, or if it is true, how I could have missed it -- that Favre now plays for the Vikings.

How could Favre be simultaneously accurate and unproductive?

It's simple: His passes are shorter than a tweet.

Which doesn't bother Jerry Burns.

Burns lives a short drive from the Vikings' compound in Eden Prairie. He shows up at most home Vikings games, and is friendly with current head coach Brad Childress.

Burns swears he and Childress have never discussed the intricacies of offensive football. That's strange, because Childress' version of the West Coast offense is starting to resemble Burns' West Coast precursor, which spawned imitators if not a catchy nickname.

Burns might have been the first NFL coach, as Bud Grant's offensive coordinator with the Vikings, to emphasize the short passing game as a means of ball control. "You had to get a guy like Chuck Foreman coming out of that backfield," Burns said this week from his home. "I'd like to see them run that option route with this kid [Adrian] Peterson. I liked to get Foreman in the flat, get him the ball, and see what happens."

The genealogy of football ideas is often nebulous. With the 49ers, who visit the Metrodome on Sunday, Bill Walsh became famous for inventing the West Coast offense, which emphasized quick, short, safe passes and athletes who could run after the catch.

Burns already had applied many of the same principles with quarterback Fran Tarkenton, Foreman and running back Rickey Young.

Friends of Burns say he once chafed at all the attention paid to Walsh's genius, considering that Burns had success with a similar scheme before Walsh became an NFL head coach.

This week, Burns was magnanimous. "Well, I guess all short passing games are pretty much the same," he said. "I was happy to see the Vikings getting the ball out there to the running backs, though, and that new kid they have from Florida [Percy Harvin] is a helluva receiver.

"These days, defenses play so much of that double zone, to take away the vertical pass, that there's a ton of room underneath, and they can do a lot with the ball after catches.

"We used to do the same thing with Rickey Young and Foreman, give it to them short and let them run."

Walsh's West Coast offense became famous because of the talent of his players and the profoundness of their success. Quarterback Joe Montana and receiver Jerry Rice became two of the best players in football history, and Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Brent Jones and John Taylor were perfectly suited to the finesse offense.

Walsh's West Coast led indirectly to the East Coast/West Coast offense of Eagles coach Andy Reid, who employed Childress as his offensive coordinator.

Childress brought a more muscular, run-oriented version of that offense to Minnesota, and in the first two weeks of this season we have seen something close to his ideal: Power running and a diverse, efficient, short passing game.

Childress isn't against downfield passes -- last year those became a staple when Gus Frerotte and Bernard Berrian developed a rapport -- but he won't apologize for the kind of swing pass Burnsie made famous.

"The West Coast offense, if you could describe it, would be high completion percentage, low interception percentage," Childress said.

Burns likes to hear that. "I would say for a period of time there, that our offense was very similar to the 49ers' offense when Bill Walsh was there," Burns said. "Everybody in football copies each other."

Let it be known that Burns had been running the Western Suburbs offense long before Walsh started running the West Coast offense. So it wasn't Burns doing the copying.
Back to top Go down
CJayWild

CJayWild

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 11:10 am

I heard on the radio that AP has a sore back and is listed on the injury report- Hope he's alright
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:24 pm

CJayWild wrote:
I heard on the radio that AP has a sore back and is listed on the injury report- Hope he's alright
All indications are it hasn't slowed him down in practice, he'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
CJayWild

CJayWild

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 pm

TaLoN wrote:
CJayWild wrote:
All indications are it hasn't slowed him down in practice, he'll be fine.

What about E J??
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:26 pm

He's missed some practice, but it may be precautionary.
Back to top Go down
zamboni14

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:40 pm

ahhhhh, nothing like the "over reaction" news during football season. I wouldn't worry about AP missing games yet.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 3:42 am

From the Strib...

Peterson's back 'not a big deal,' but matchup is

The Vikings star will try to erase the memories of his worst NFL game as he faces the 49ers and talented Frank Gore.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune
Last update: September 25, 2009 - 12:29 AM

Adrian Peterson stepped onto the podium for his weekly news conference Thursday armed with a joke. Questions about his back, which landed him on the injury report this week, were inevitable, so he came prepared.

He opened by saying he had a "weak back." Asked if that was the result of one particular collision, Peterson said, "It happened like a week back. But it's all behind me now."

Rim shot.

"You liked that, huh?" he said, smiling.

Peterson later called his back injury "not a big deal at all," but he probably won't be in a joking mood on Sunday when he gets another crack at the team that handed him the worst performance of his career. The San Francisco 49ers used a creative scheme to hold Peterson to only 3 yards rushing on 14 carries in 2007, his rookie season.

It didn't help that Peterson was playing in his second game after returning from a knee injury and seemed bothered by his knee brace. But Peterson took full responsibility for his subpar performance that day.

"When we left San Fran, I was trying to look ahead on the schedule and see when we played these guys again," he said. "I learned a lot from that game. It was the worst game of my career, so it sticks on my head. I'm looking forward to playing these guys this week."

Fans will be treated to a marquee matchup between two of the NFL's top running backs. Peterson (272 yards) and San Francisco's Frank Gore (237) enter the game ranked first and second in the NFC in rushing.

Gore -- who has been limited in practice this week because of an ankle injury but is expected to play -- rushed for 207 yards against Seattle on Sunday, a performance that included touchdowns runs of 79 and 80 yards. He joined Barry Sanders as the only players in NFL history to record two touchdown runs of 75-plus yards in the same game.

Gore earned a trip to the Pro Bowl in 2006 after setting team records in rushing yards (1,695), carries (312) and 100-yard performances (nine). He has rushed for more than 1,000 yards three consecutive seasons, a team record.

Peterson said he became a fan of Gore's hard-charging running style -- sound familiar? -- when Gore played for the University of Miami.

"I love the way he runs the ball," Peterson said. "He's a guy if I'm clicking through the channels and I see the 49ers playing, I'm going to stop and see how he's running the ball. He's a great downhill runner [and] good moving side to side. Just a complete back."

Given what happened the last time he faced the 49ers, Peterson left little doubt that he has extra motivation to play well this time. The Vikings were quick to credit the 49ers for their scheme two years ago -- specifically, they used a number of corner blitzes -- but Peterson said his lack of patience that day was the bigger issue. He said that "disrupted" the running game.

"[After] watching film, I wasn't being patient enough, rushing my plays, not giving the offensive line time to do their job," he said. "That really is what disappointed me the most when I watched the film."

The Vikings defense wasn't all that pleased when it reviewed film of Sunday's performance against the Detroit Lions. The Vikings gave up 94 yards rushing in the first half alone against an offense not nearly as physical as the one they will face Sunday.

"We've got to shore it up because that running game of San Francisco is humming," defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said.

In particular, Frazier said he saw players "who wanted to get a little nosy and try and make some plays that weren't necessarily theirs." Frazier said it's imperative that guys stay in their gaps and trust their teammates.

"You saw it this past weekend in Seattle when Frank Gore broke those long runs," he said. "One guy getting out of his gap can create some major issues. When you have back the caliber of Gore, instead of it being 7- or 8-yard gain, it can be an 80-yard explosion."

The guy on the other sideline is pretty good at that, too. And he has extra motivation after being held to 3 yards the last time he faced the 49ers defense.

"I think Adrian champs at the bit to play any game," offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "He plays with great intensity, with great power, great strength, great speed. I don't think he really cares who the opponent is."
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:33 am

From the Strib...

2 Vikings' lawyers, judge meet to discuss trial date on banned substance

While trial dates are mulled in state court, the NFL must decide whether to appeal a related federal appeals court ruling.

Star Tribune
Last update: September 25, 2009 - 10:58 AM

Lawyers for the National Football League and Minnesota Vikings defensive tackles Kevin and Pat Williams met briefly today with a Hennepin County judge to start considering trial dates for their banned-substance case involving the supplement "StarCaps."

After the closed meeting in chambers, Judge Gary Larson said the trial will likely occur in February or March. A likely date will be chosen next week.

Earlier this summer, Larson said he would allow the two stars to play out the season before conducting a trial in part because he is busy, too.

The league suspended the players for four games each late last year for taking bumetanide, a diuretic that can be used as a masking agent for steroids. It was an unlisted ingredient in StarCaps, an over-the-counter weight-loss supplement.

StarCaps was pulled off the market earlier this year after the Food and Drug Administration learned it contained bumetanide. The Williamses, who are not related, both said they didn't know StarCaps contained the banned substance. Neither player tested positive for steroids.

Meanwhile, the NFL is deciding whether to appeal an Eighth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that allowed the case to go forward in state court. Even if they do appeal, it's a long shot. The full appellate panel and the U.S. Supreme Court agree to hear only a small portion of the cases sent their way.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Good way to start the game. Very Happy

Edit: SF does just as well defensively on the Vikes first possession. :/

Edit: Gore looks to be out.

Good drive there. AP doing what he does, and Favre caps it off with a beautiful pass to Rice for the TD.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:18 pm

I have not been a fan of the officiating thus far. SF has been jobbed a couple of times (as has Minnesota once I believe) by some pretty poor and weak calls. Just this drive, the call on Justin Smith and the taunting call on Spencer were pretty weak.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:37 pm

Wow... What a shift... Blocked field goals be damned!
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 pm

and now a pick. dunn dunnnn dunnnnnnnnnnn
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 3:16 pm

WOOOO HOOOOO! Harvin strikes quickly!
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:17 pm

FUCKING EPIC! Hell of a pass and catch. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Toewser on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:21 pm

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE

greatest play ive seen
Back to top Go down
BackStopBabe

BackStopBabe

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:26 pm

OMG! Even I could appreciate that that play was unbelievable! cheers
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Just got back to the tailgate lot... UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!
Back to top Go down
BackStopBabe

BackStopBabe

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm jealous Talon Razz
Back to top Go down
CJayWild

CJayWild

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:53 pm

WOW!!
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:44 pm

BackStopBabe wrote:
I'm jealous Talon Razz
Season ticket holder... Wink
Back to top Go down
BackStopBabe

BackStopBabe

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Thinks we need to suck up 2 Talon..LOL J/K!
Back to top Go down
zamboni14

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 9:22 pm

that... was so weird today.

So here I sit in the recliner, watching as the Vikings punt the ball yet again. 2-1 thoughts go through my head. How AP didn't do much in the 2nd half, the way our defense no longer dominated, etc. What was I going to talk about tomorrow to co-workers, should I go mow the lawn?

"Hon... we still have a chance. We've got Favre now."

With that one phrase... the sun broke through the gray clouds. I got a warm fuzzy feeling inside that made me feel something I have not felt in years... HOPE! Who cares if we actually do pull it off in the end... we actually do have a shot at winning this time! Past years, I've turned the game off at halftime because the game would usually fall apart and I'd get things done... but not this year! This year... I can actually watch a whole game... all 60 game minutes... kickoff to final gun... and know... that we actually have a shot at winning a game in the final minutes.

So here we go, we get the ball back... optimism is winning the internal battle against my past pessimism that had a mighty grip over my body from years of failure in the final moments of games. We inch closer and closer... pass here... pass there... first down... first down... marching... moving... joy filling my heart as not one pessimistic thought entered into my mind... then... the snap... Favre moving around in the pocket... he steps up... TOUCHDOWN!!!! Screw you Green Bay... it was MY turn to feel the joy of watching a QB win the game for us just as you all had done for years (and taken for granted.) Yes... yes... there IS joy in Muddville today... the Mighty Casey just knocked the ball into the next time zone across the world!

Or a shorter way of saying it all... I was Randy Quaid in "Major League 2"
Back to top Go down
Wild_State_of_Hockey

Wild_State_of_Hockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 9:25 pm

Well stated zamboni. Truly an amazing finish.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hockeyfanfaceoff.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next