Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

computer gurus..........

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

computer gurus.......... Empty
PostSubject: computer gurus..........   computer gurus.......... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 1:46 am

so i think my trusty, dusty, and rusty Dell is on it's last leg. So, time to replace the ol desktop. I am tossing around the idea of building one, or at least getting the components for it and having a coworkers husband put it together as he is good with all of that shit. I could do it, but I could see myself not being grounded properly or some stupid shit and ruining something.

So, what do you run/recommend? I have been looking at AMD processors, but nothing wrong with trusty Intel.

I want to be able to run Windows 7, movies, etc. Not much of a computer gamer, but would like the option of doing a HDMI to a TV for movies and shit at some point.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: computer gurus..........   computer gurus.......... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 2:45 pm

I'm NOT a computer guru either but I'm pretty sure that if you know someone who can build em' you'll most certainly get more bang for your buck.

Just make sure all the components you buy are compatible. I once bought a video card at Future Shop that wasnt compatible with my motherboard. I had those "experts" sell it to me and install it....
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: computer gurus..........   computer gurus.......... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 4:16 pm

yeah i know a few different guys who could get it done for me. i am surprised with how long our desktop held up.
Back to top Go down
Havoc

PostSubject: Re: computer gurus..........   computer gurus.......... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 10:50 am

Only problem with having one built is that you'll have no support. Don't know if that's a problem for you or not.

You can get factory made computers so cheap anymore, you might want to compare.

Just my pov.

If I had one built, I might consider running Linux btw. Factory made, they'll ding you for Windows. One being built, you have choices. All the Linux software is great and you can go free.

Of course, my computer is now a mac, although I'm now a volunteer for the Fish and Wildlife Service, so it sits next to my old laptop and 24" monitor. A Dell that's a bit of a lemon from their line of lightweight laptop lemons. Point is, I've had the motherboard replaced on it under warranty.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: computer gurus..........   computer gurus.......... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 12:57 pm

I can live with having no customer support. never once called Dell for anything. I guess the only nice thing about a company manufactured computer is having all of the drivers on one disk.

Linux is something I have considered, BUT because my fiance is also using the computer, she wouldn't want to take the time to learn a different OS. Windows XP has treated me well, I know people with Vista and that seems ok. But with what I have played around with on 7 makes it seem like Microsoft got that OS down alot better than Vista.

Might check into another Dell. I think they have the option online to kinda create your own computer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: computer gurus..........   computer gurus.......... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

computer gurus..........
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Minnesota Hockey Forums :: Off Topic-
Jump to: