Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NFL and the lost art of Tackling

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

NFL and the lost art of Tackling Empty
PostSubject: NFL and the lost art of Tackling   NFL and the lost art of Tackling I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 7:35 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?page=hotread13/Tackling

it is a long, but very good read. For years when watching football with my old man, we would be blown away at how so many guys miss tackles. I agree it is worse today than it has ever been. This guys hits the nail on the head with what he has to say.

From Pee Wees through High School we learned the mechanics and fundamentals of how to properly tackle a guy. Break down- Legs moving- Face mask in the guys chest- Wrap up- Drive to the ground. Soooo many guys just throwing chicken wings or diving at feet to try and make a play.

AP is right about lots of corners essentially being pussies when laying a hit on a guy. Watch a game, those guys are always the ones diving for shoe laces. A WR/TE/RB keeps their legs moving and high steps, good bye, 6 points in the house. Even watching the Packer/Raven game, there was a chance for a DL to sack Flacco and he had the worst angle and craziest arm grab attempt I have ever seen.

I do have a hard time believing the NFL teams and even college teams couldn't spend time doing tackling drills or pursuit drills. Those are two bare bone basics of the game and should always be refreshed. I know offensive styles have changed, but damn, long gone are the days of intimidating linebackers. Outside of Urlacher, who can give a name of a linebacker who is known for lighting people up in todays NFL? And even he couldn't hold Lawrence Taylor or Sam Huff's jock.

"But what about the risk of injury?" You go through contact other ways in practice, why not finish it up with some drills with the practice squad? I am sure some of those guys would love to show how hungry they are to make the roster and get to play that they would love the chance at doing some hitting drills. Besides, get your players ready for being popped in practice, too often we see someone laying down in a daze when a ball carrier gets low and blasts through a guy.

What do ya'll think?
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
Kevin W
Admin
Kevin W

PostSubject: Re: NFL and the lost art of Tackling   NFL and the lost art of Tackling I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:53 pm

They've all been playing too much Madden and just wanna unleash the hit stick.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: NFL and the lost art of Tackling   NFL and the lost art of Tackling I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:57 pm

and even on madden it doesn't work all the time, lol
Back to top Go down
Kevin W
Admin
Kevin W

PostSubject: Re: NFL and the lost art of Tackling   NFL and the lost art of Tackling I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 11:12 pm

God I know, I do it on the Wii and it's always saying "Power move late"...

...what gives.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: NFL and the lost art of Tackling   NFL and the lost art of Tackling I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 11:28 pm

you should try upper cutting with the nunchuck, maybe that will sucker punch a guy, or punch out style super uppercut, lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NFL and the lost art of Tackling   NFL and the lost art of Tackling I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NFL and the lost art of Tackling
Page 1 of 1