Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Wild vs. Flames - 12/20/2010 - Official GDT

Go down 
AuthorMessage
KillerCarlson

PostSubject: Wild vs. Flames - 12/20/2010 - Official GDT   Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:02 am

Wild vs. Flames post-game and much more

Wild's power play helps douse the Flames in 4-1 home victory

Written by Derek Felska
Monday, 20 December 2010 07:00

Major League baseball player and perhaps one of the most quotable sports personalities ever Yogi Berra once said, "This is like deja vu all over again!" This could be an accurate way to describe tonight's rematch between the Minnesota Wild and the Calgary Flames. The Wild will certainly have some good feelings after their 3-1 win on Hockey Night in Canada, but it must do its best to pretend it never happened. Why? Unlike deja vu, when the next time rolls around the Wild often stumble, trip and fall flat on its face as it can't replicate the formula that worked so well for it the first time. I don't mean to stomp on the Wild's good mood too much, wins are very welcome and warmly received but this team has a tendency to take one step forward and two steps back the last few seasons. Consider it a fan invoking his right to be cautiously pessimistic. In many ways, the Wild's challenge is very similar to what it used to be in its early years. If the team can manage to score 3 goals it has a very good chance to win the game. If it can't reach that magic threshold then its chances at victory go down precipitously. So if you won a game two nights ago against the same team, what would you do if you were Wild Head Coach Todd Richards? Would you change up your goaltending just to give Calgary a different look, or would you just go with what worked the last time? Not to sound too much like a lesson in quantum mechanics but do you try not to mess around with the variables to avoid some sort of cataclysmic collapse? If I was Richards my alterations would be as minimal as I could possibly make it. The team had one of its best efforts all season on Saturday night and that has been such a rare feat the Wild dare not to tweak it at all if they can help it.

For Calgary and the Wild its like being two marathon runners trailing the pack by a fairly long distance elbowing one another as they hope to make a miracle-like comeback. Before Saturday's game, the Flames were in 13th and the Wild were in 14th, but after Minnesota's victory their positions in the standings switched but both still trail 8th place Los Angeles by 6 points. That may not seem like much, but with so many 3-point hockey games it is a pretty fair distance to overcome barring that the Kings don't suffer any sort of Washington Capitals or New York Islanders' type of drought. Hope is not lost on qualifying for the post-season just yet, but the odds are certainly not in the Wild's favor. So will the Wild get that feeling of deja vu this evening or will it find itself dealing with diminishing returns? (click on the link for the rest of the article)

There is a complete post-game report, a Team USA (WJC) update, and High School Hockey report that focuses on Eden Prairie and Roseau. Nice little surge at the end and I'm really liking the assertiveness Havlat is showing. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wild vs. Flames - 12/20/2010 - Official GDT   Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:44 am

go figure i didn't dvr the game because i wanted to watch the madness in the snow of TCF. ah well, glad to see there is some positives. PLUS, beating the Flames is always fun seeing as how they always have had our number.

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be the one sitting next to you saying "That was fucking awesome!"
Back to top Go down
http://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild vs. Flames - 12/20/2010 - Official GDT   Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:22 pm

They suck worse than we do now... it was a fun game to be at though!
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Wild vs. Flames - 12/20/2010 - Official GDT   Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 pm

erps
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild vs. Flames - 12/20/2010 - Official GDT   

Back to top Go down

Wild vs. Flames - 12/20/2010 - Official GDT
Page 1 of 1