Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wild vs. Rangers - 3/3/2011

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
KillerCarlson

Wild vs. Rangers - 3/3/2011 Empty
PostSubject: Wild vs. Rangers - 3/3/2011   Wild vs. Rangers - 3/3/2011 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:29 am

Wild vs. Rangers post-game and Aeros update

Wellman helps Wild bounce back in 3-1 win over the New York Rangers

Written by Derek Felska | 03 March 2011

Do you remember watching Wile E. Coyote cartoons as a kid? Where he comes up with all of these elaborate schemes and spends an untold amount of money and resources in various "ACME" produced machines to try to finally capture the Roadrunner? Wile E. Coyote just can't seem to catch him and more often than not ends up stepping off the cliff himself to being reduced to little more than that ambiguous white puff of dust once he hits the ground. So what is the point? Futility. The Roadrunner was simply too fast and too intelligent to be caught, no matter what Wile E. Coyote devised. He could chase him all he wants and he'd never get there, the Roadrunner just had him beat time after time. In many ways the picture you see here is a personification of the Minnesota Wild's season at this point. Chasing in order to defend the other player, chasing but always arriving a little too late, or being just a little to slow to make a difference. Instead of being a step behind a player like what you see in the picture the Wild are 2-3 strides behind arriving near that threshold of "not being close." Minnesota looked horrible in its most recent loss, 4-1 to the New York Islanders. To the Islanders credit, they outworked, outhustled, outskated and just plain dominated the Wild at both ends of the ice. Minnesota's passing was sloppy, their anticipation suspect and their goaltending was questionable at best. Three straight losses and the Wild find themselves in 11th place in the Western Conference. Starting to see where I'm coming from now in regards to my use of the word futility? Or how the Wild have been chasing all season long, getting closer and closer and even clawing their way into the playoff picture only to let go and now be in free fall. (cue the ambiguous puff of dust)

It will not get any easier tonight as the Wild travel to Madison Square Garden to take on the New York Rangers who are also attempting to position themselves better for the post-season. Earlier this season, on November 10th, the Rangers spanked the Wild 5-2 in the friendly confines of Xcel Energy Center. Minnesota is now again chasing the rest of the Western Conference if it wants to qualify for the post-season. In order for that to happen, a lot of players have to step up their game. Most notably, Andrew Brunette, Antti Miettinen, and Marek Zidlicky. Brunette and Miettinen have been very lost without Mikko Koivu, and both have just a few assists since he was knocked out of the lineup with a broken finger. Meanwhile Marek Zidlicky has been a trainwreck on skates. He has more or less abandoned playing defense and has been joining the rush far too often leaving his defensive partners out to dry. No matter what, the Wild have to turn it around now or its chances of making the playoffs are as good as Wile E. Coyote's chances of finally catching the Roadrunner. So will the Wild stop the slide or will they keep falling in the standings with a 4th straight loss tonight? (click on the link for the rest of the article)

Great bounce back, I really thought we were screwed after we got down 1-0 early. Still, we can't expect to win too many games being outshot 41-19. That has to change. Theodore to me has earned another start for Sunday IMO. There is a full Aeros update as well. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

Wild vs. Rangers - 3/3/2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wild vs. Rangers - 3/3/2011   Wild vs. Rangers - 3/3/2011 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:49 am

the first period looked incredibly sluggish and unispired like the Isles game, thank God they came alive again and were able to win it. but the shot count is big time scary. the Rags were ALL OVER us and Jose stood on his head.

I dunno if it was lack of motivation or East Coast hockey, but it was insane.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com

Wild vs. Rangers - 3/3/2011
Page 1 of 1