Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"

Go down 
+8
vorosiraptor
forthewild
lolwat
TaLoN
Wild Fan #1
Kevin W
timotheuzi
MuckandGrind
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" Empty
PostSubject: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 pm

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/60459837.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUBP7hUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Quote :
The prolific-hitting Wild forward is up for another year of throwing bodies around -- including his own. His coaches believe he's also game to have a real impact as a goal-scorer.

By MICHAEL RUSSO, Star Tribune

Cal Clutterbuck, making trouble.

Last training camp, Clutterbuck was such a blip on the Wild's radar, then-coach Jacques Lemaire barely knew who he was.

But one Marian Gaborik injury later, and Clutterbuck burst onto the scene and refused to leave.

He became a revelation, somebody who would ultimately lead the league with 356 hits. The consistency of his physical play was extraordinary for a 5-10, 209-pound player. He routinely rattled opposing bodies seven, eight, nine times a night.

He gained notoriety when famed "Hockey Night in Canada" personality Don Cherry called him "Buttercup," for fighting while wearing a visor. He talks smack better than most 10-year vets, once asking Vancouver's Ryan Kesler how it felt "to have your nose resting against your visor the whole game" and asking Colorado's Darcy Tucker to brush his teeth before speaking to him again.

Wild fans fell for him. There was even a half-kidding, grassroots movement to gain Clutterbuck Rookie of the Year votes with a "Ya can't spell Calder without Cal" campaign.

"I don't plan on changing much at all this year," said Clutterbuck, 21. "With the year that went by last year, and the confidence I gained, I think it's going to allow me to maybe score some more while maintaining the same kind of physical play."

That's what the Wild is hoping. Last season, Clutterbuck became the fourth Wild rookie to score at least 10 goals in a season (11), but team officials believe he can take an even bigger step this season.

Playing in Oshawa of the Ontario Hockey League from 2005-07, Clutterbuck played bodyguard to John Tavares, the No. 1 overall pick in June's draft by the New York Islanders.

But Clutterbuck also registered back-to-back 35-goal seasons, scoring a career-high 89 points in 2006-07.

Coming down the wing, Clutterbuck has one of the best shots on the Wild. And since he's willing to drive the net and plant himself in front of it, the Wild is hoping the 2006 third-round pick can score goals the way he scored twice in last week's preseason game against Columbus.

"I was scouting amateur full time during Cal's draft year, so I've seen his scoring ability," Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher said. "He's a relentless, tenacious worker and physical presence, but the part of Cal's game we feel will emerge is his offense."

Clutterbuck, who said he feels more comfortable this training camp, knows it's important to balance out his game, especially because he can become a restricted free agent next summer.

"It'll be great if it happened this year because I've got a lot of things going on and there's an opportunity for me to maybe sign a one-way contract next summer," Clutterbuck said. "I just want to help this year. This year we might need a guy like me to come up with a big night."

But Clutterbuck's focus on offense doesn't mean he'll get away from what got him to the NHL. He has gained a reputation as a superpest, both because of his motor mouth and if opponents don't keep their heads up when he's on the ice, it won't be pretty.

And speaking of those heads, Clutterbuck adores getting into them, like Sunday when an angry Chicago defenseman threw Clutterbuck's stick at him after being checked.

"It makes it fun for me. It's kind of like I've got this following," Clutterbuck said. "I'm skating around and they're looking at me, worried about me. If they're thinking about me and I'm not even touching the puck, then that's one more thing they've got to think about.

"And in this league, if you're thinking about too many things at one time, you're going to make mistakes."

Because of his reputation, Clutterbuck knows he might become a marked man during his sophomore season.

"Am I worried? No," he said. "It's been that way in every single jump that I've made. ... In the AHL, you play certain teams so many times that come January, I was pretty much a marked guy already. Juniors same thing, so it's something I'm used to. I'll keep them out of my kitchen and I don't care if they hate me.

"Really, I just want my teammates to respect me and for the fans to appreciate that I'm always working hard. I want to be able to look myself in the mirror when I come off the ice and be able to tell myself, 'I gave it all I had tonight.'"

Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:33 pm

I love Chuck Fletcher's insight being that he is from the scouting departments of other successful teams.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:35 pm

god, I need to remember not to press the back button on my browser

facepalm

Last edited by timotheuzi on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kevin W
Admin
Kevin W

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:36 pm

I remember last year being able to catch a game on FSN North and seeing him for the first time and being amazed by the man I would start calling "Clusterfuck".

Love that dude.
Back to top Go down
Wild Fan #1

Wild Fan #1

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:41 pm

He's that later round pick we'd been looking for. He can do it all.

Last edited by Wild Fan #1 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:43 pm

I've felt for quite some time now that Clutterbuck's offensive potential was there and that he should be considered for a top 2 line spot. We've seen him play alongside 3rd and 4th liners, let's see what he can do with some better talent.

Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat
Sykora - Koivu - Clutterbuck???

What I like about those two lines is that each has a forechecker/physical presence (Nolan, Clutterbuck), a distributor (Pouliot, Koivu) and a finisher (Sykora, Havlat)

That's two very balanced lines, IMO.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:57 pm

One thing Cal will need to work on if he's going to score more goals, is that shot accuracy.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 am

From the article:

Quote :
Coming down the wing, Clutterbuck has one of the best shots on the Wild. And since he's willing to drive the net and plant himself in front of it, the Wild is hoping the 2006 third-round pick can score goals the way he scored twice in last week's preseason game against Columbus.

I really wasn't aware that his shot wasn't accurate...not something that I noticed, because I didn't see him shoot the puck all that much.

What I WILL say is that I watched him scrimmage a few weeks ago at SLP and he was making some pretty sick moves with the puck and managed to find the back of the net on multiple occasions. I know that you can't put too much into a non-contact scrimmage, but I didn't expect to see him to what he did.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:05 am

Cal had a LOT more chances to score last year, many of which were within 5ft, and he shot wide or high. Reminded me a bit like Dupuis in that regard, though I don't think QUITE that inaccurate.

Not saying he can't improve, just saying that's what he has to improve on.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 3:23 am

MuckandGrind wrote:
I've felt for quite some time now that Clutterbuck's offensive potential was there and that he should be considered for a top 2 line spot. We've seen him play alongside 3rd and 4th liners, let's see what he can do with some better talent.

Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat

What I like about those two lines is that each has a forechecker/physical presence (Nolan, Clutterbuck), a distributor (Pouliot, Koivu) and a finisher (Sykora, Havlat)

In that case, I'd prefer Brunette on that 2nd line to Sykora. I think Cal and Brunette could have some chemistry together, as Cal is willing to go to the net. Then also Bouchard would have a finisher on the 3rd line with him and Sheppard.
Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat
Brunette - Koivu - Clutterbuck
Sykora - Sheppard - Bouchard
Belanger - Brodziak - Miettinen

Really, if Pouliot and Belanger both stay, our healthy top-12 will allow us to roll 4 lines and several PKers. And if Sykora/Nolan aren't clicking on their lines, there is the opportunity to swap them.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 4:09 am

lolwat wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat

In that case, I'd prefer Brunette on that 2nd line to Sykora. I think Cal and Brunette could have some chemistry together, as Cal is willing to go to the net. Then also Bouchard would have a finisher on the 3rd line with him and Sheppard.
Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat

Really, if Pouliot and Belanger both stay, our healthy top-12 will allow us to roll 4 lines and several PKers. And if Sykora/Nolan aren't clicking on their lines, there is the opportunity to swap them.

This could be a good setup to run with, the other thing i like is that the Koivu Clutterbuck line would be good on the backchek they both work hard. The season cannot come soon enough the suspense is killing me.
Back to top Go down
Wild Fan #1

Wild Fan #1

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 6:07 am

I think one reason he appears inaccurate is because he's trying to make the perfect shot. He needs to learn that top corner isn't always needed. Now he isn't a sharpshooter anyway, but his can improve just with the mental game.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:16 am

lolwat wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat

Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat

I'm not feeling the love for Brunette as many others are.....He's a good guy and all, but I just don't see him bringing enough to the table to warrant a spot on the top 2 lines. Sure, he's good down low with the puck...but that's about it...I'd prefer to see him as a 3rd or 4th liner and on the PP.
Back to top Go down
vorosiraptor

vorosiraptor

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:16 am

MuckandGrind wrote:
I'm not feeling the love for Brunette as many others are.....He's a good guy and all, but I just don't see him bringing enough to the table to warrant a spot on the top 2 lines. Sure, he's good down low with the puck...but that's about it...I'd prefer to see him as a 3rd or 4th liner and on the PP.

Bruno isn't the most talented top 6 forward in the league and he sure as hell isn't the fastest, but he has a high hockey IQ. His ability to shield the puck down low, read the play, and feed more talented player is what makes him effective playing with skill guys like Koivu and Sakic. He also has a willingness to take punishment in front of the net which opens up space for his linemates and nets him a few garbage goals.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:11 am

MuckandGrind wrote:
lolwat wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat

Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat

Unfortunately we don't have many options at this point, we could move Butch up or hope that Gillies really shines, the problem with this year is going to be the lack of players for the system, still trying to get over Riser and his damage.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:13 am

forthewild wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:
lolwat wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat

Nolan - Pouliot - Havlat

Unfortunately we don't have many options at this point, we could move Butch up or hope that Gillies really shines, the problem with this year is going to be the lack of players for the system, still trying to get over Riser and his damage.

I think you interchange Nolan or Skylora at one wing, and put Clutterbuck on the 2nd line wing, and you are all set....I like that option much better than Brunette.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:28 am

vorosiraptor wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

Bruno isn't the most talented top 6 forward in the league and he sure as hell isn't the fastest, but he has a high hockey IQ. His ability to shield the puck down low, read the play, and feed more talented player is what makes him effective playing with skill guys like Koivu and Sakic. He also has a willingness to take punishment in front of the net which opens up space for his linemates and nets him a few garbage goals.
NM what I said previously, read it wrong... why would we have one of the best shooters on the team NOT in the top 6? Bruno's only offensive asset is along the boards, Sykora has a lethal shot, you have to put Sykora in position to use it more IMO.
Back to top Go down
vorosiraptor

vorosiraptor

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:58 am

TaLoN wrote:
vorosiraptor wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

NM what I said previously, read it wrong... why would we have one of the best shooters on the team NOT in the top 6? Bruno's only offensive asset is along the boards, Sykora has a lethal shot, you have to put Sykora in position to use it more IMO.

I agree, Sykora no doubt needs to be in the top 6. I'm not sure where you got the impression that I wanted Sykora out of the top 6 from my post.

I don't think that Clutterbuck should take Bruno's top 6 role, at least not right off the bat. He'll get his shot when the inevitable injuries happen. Clutterbuck is still a valuable player whether he's playing on the checking line or the 4th line or a scoring line. Bruno is worthless anywhere but in the top 6 and on the powerplay. He's just not fast enough or good enough defensively to be effective on those lines.

Put him on a line with Koivu and Havlat and he'll be do alright. He has enough hockey sense and ability to get the puck on their sticks. He knows what his role is.

I see the lines like this:

Bruno-Koivu-Havlat
Sykora-Pouliot-Butch
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 pm

IMO, the only thing keeping Brunette on this team is his contract (thanks DR!).
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:02 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
IMO, the only thing keeping Brunette on this team is his contract (thanks DR!).
But... but... so many fans were upset that DR let him walk; and then he went to the Avs where he put up decent numbers and all those fans went "SEE! He can play in the 'new NHL'" and got all moody and moopy about him being gone.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:13 pm

vorosiraptor wrote:
I agree, Sykora no doubt needs to be in the top 6. I'm not sure where you got the impression that I wanted Sykora out of the top 6 from my post.

I don't think that Clutterbuck should take Bruno's top 6 role, at least not right off the bat. He'll get his shot when the inevitable injuries happen. Clutterbuck is still a valuable player whether he's playing on the checking line or the 4th line or a scoring line. Bruno is worthless anywhere but in the top 6 and on the powerplay. He's just not fast enough or good enough defensively to be effective on those lines.

Put him on a line with Koivu and Havlat and he'll be do alright. He has enough hockey sense and ability to get the puck on their sticks. He knows what his role is.

I see the lines like this:

Bruno-Koivu-Havlat
Sykora-Pouliot-Butch
So, you're going to take our leading goalscorer from last season off the top 6 in favor of Bruno? Nolan EASILY plays in the top 6 before Bruno does!

Velmeran wrote:
But... but... so many fans were upset that DR let him walk; and then he went to the Avs where he put up decent numbers and all those fans went "SEE! He can play in the 'new NHL'" and got all moody and moopy about him being gone.
Letting Bruno walk the first time was a GOOD decision... even DR's good decisions he couldn't get them right, since he felt for the fans he had to bring him back... ugh! facepalm
Back to top Go down
vorosiraptor

vorosiraptor

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:52 pm

TaLoN wrote:

So, you're going to take our leading goalscorer from last season off the top 6 in favor of Bruno? Nolan EASILY plays in the top 6 before Bruno does!

Nolan is also 37 years old and only played in 59 games last year. With his style of play I'm not sure he can hold up for an entire season playing top minutes on a nightly basis.

Nolan gives us a consistent goal scorer and a leader in our bottom 6. It also gives us a little more scoring depth for when the injury bug hits.

Bruno, on the other hand, is worthless in the bottom 6. He needs scorers on his line to be effective. Nolan plays a much more complete game and can anchor a team's 3rd line while mentoring younger players like Shep, Clutterbuck, or Brodziak.

For the record, I think Nolan is a much better player than Bruno is.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:59 pm

vorosiraptor wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

Nolan is also 37 years old and only played in 59 games last year. With his style of play I'm not sure he can hold up for an entire season playing top minutes on a nightly basis.
Given the injuries he had last year, I think it's safe to say that is a very legit concern with Nolan.

He put up good numbers considering the time he missed for injuries, but what reason or logic do we have to suggest that he won't face the same injury issues this year?
Back to top Go down
Fargocase

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:19 pm

I'm going to have to get used to that multiple quote thing...

I think i posted after Muck's comments about Cluts that I think he has a good enough shot that he might be a good support guy on a top line. I love Cluts game, but it does kind of pain me all the talk about his million Hits. He's a Frequent Hitter, but don't let that ever be confused with being a Big Hitter. I love how he finishes his Checks, but don't confuse him for a Scott Stevens-like Hitter.

I think this is one of the most interesting preseasons ever becasue there are so many line combo possiblities!

And finally, I'm sure we're going to find out if Pouliot really should be called Princess!

For the record - that's another probelm I had with Lemaire - IMO he could have done a much better job with Pouliot.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:53 pm

there isn't any chance that Bruno has some form of a veteran trade value that some teams will want?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"   Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Tribune - "Cal Clutterbuck, Act II"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next