Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sundin Retires

Go down 
+2
TaLoN
cehnehdeh
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 am

By Stephan Nasstrom

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

STOCKHOLM -- Former Toronto Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin is retiring from hockey after nearly two decades in the NHL.

"It was a tough decision," Sundin told reporters Wednesday at a news conference at Stockholm's Grand Hotel. "It's sad to tell you today that my career as a pro hockey player is over."

The 38-year-old Swede, who said he reached the decision this fall, played for the Vancouver Canucks last season after spending most of his NHL career with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He spent 13 seasons with Toronto, becoming the longest-serving European captain in NHL history, and he gave special thanks to the Maple Leafs organization.

"Toronto is and will always be my second home," Sundin said.

One of Sweden's key players in the 2006 Turin Olympics, where Sweden beat Finland in the final, he recently ruled out playing for his home country in next year's Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Sundin singled out winning Olympic gold along with playing in the NHL playoffs as the highlights of his career.

"It was a special experience," Sundin said. "The NHL? All playoff games and reaching the semifinals twice."

Sundin, an eight-time NHL all-star, is first among Swedish players with 564 goals, 785 assists and 1,349 points.

In 1990, Sundin became the first European to be the top pick in the NHL draft, but despite a long and stellar career he never won a Stanley Cup.

"It would have been fun, but I've experienced so much," he said.

Known as "Sudden" in Sweden, Sundin also won three IIHF World Championship titles with Sweden in 1991, '92 and '98.

After nine months on the sidelines, Sundin signed with Vancouver as a free agent in December last year and made his debut with the Canucks in January against the Edmonton Oilers. He recorded nine goals and 19 assists in 41 games, adding three goals and five assists in eight playoff games.

Toronto's career scoring leader, Sundin plans to return to Sweden with his wife later this year.

"I don't know if I'll be involved in hockey in the future," he said. "But I will always have a close relationship with hockey. My love for hockey will always be there."

Sundin also played in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City where he led in goals and points and made the tournament all-star team.

From Sportsnet.ca

My take? PHEW!
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:54 am

Is it for good this time?
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:57 am

Who knows TaL. Those damned Swedes certainly like to change their minds!
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Saw this story today in my ESPN NHL headlines, except it said "Canucks Sundin Retires" and I thought to myself, the guy signs a 1 year deal to play in Vancouver, after HOW many seasons in Toronto, yet it's "Canucks" Sundin retires... stupid ESPN.
Back to top Go down
Fargocase

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:44 pm

I don't think he ever got the respect he deserved from Toronto fans. It wasn't his fault he wasn't Wendell Clark.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Anyone think he's a first ballot HOFer? I'm not so sure...I think he'll get in eventually, though.

Last edited by MuckandGrind on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 1:55 pm

Lack of a SC works against him for sure but don't forget he spent all but one season playing in the centre of the hockey universe.
Back to top Go down
Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:18 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Anyone think he's a first ballot HOFer? I'm not so sure...I think he'll get in eventually, though.

He should be. Great player, but it seems with any HoF caliber player in any sport has the black mark if he isn't a champion. I call BS for that thinking. While whether it be hockey, hoops, football, etc I think HoF consideration is an individual honor, and should be judged accordingly. Not the players fault he was on a shitty team throughout his career. Would Walter Payton be nixed if he retired in '84? I think Sunny Day Real Estate should be an auto pick.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 12:29 am

Completely agree! A title is a team achievement, HoF induction is individual. Treat an individual achievement as exactly that and leave team accomplishments out of the discussion.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 am

I agree that the HOF SHOULD be an individual honor, but if that's TRULY the case, how can Dino Cicarelli and his 600+ goals not be in there? IMO, it's due (in part) to the lack of Cups on his resume.
Back to top Go down
Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 7:42 pm

While I have been vocal about my dislike of Dino as an individual in the past, his numbers speak for themself. He's beyond qualified to be a HoFer. I partially agree with you Muck as to why he is getting overlooked. I also believe that the salami incident in Edina has a lot to do with it as well. I don't have any proof of this, but I could see Dino's prickly personality may have made some enemies with the voting committee. Some voter with a tiny weiner may have a bit of an axe to grind with him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sundin Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sundin Retires   Sundin Retires I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sundin Retires
Page 1 of 1