Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NHLPA with egg on their face once again....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

NHLPA with egg on their face once again.... Empty
PostSubject: NHLPA with egg on their face once again....   NHLPA with egg on their face once again.... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 am

Seriously, is there a union out there that is run by bigger dunderheads than the NHL player's???

NHLPA UNDER FIRE FOR MCMURTRY'S CONFLICT OF INTEREST

Quote :
It appears as though the NHL Players' Association has made a major blunder in their attempt to prove they had just cause for the firing of former head of the PA Paul Kelly.

It has been revealed that former Ontario chief justice Roy McMurtry, who the PA had hired to write an opinion on whether Kelly's conduct provided cause for dismissal, was in conflict of interest for accepting the role.

According to sources, McMurtry failed to disclose to the Players' Association upon his hiring that he had a past relationship with former NHLPA boss Alan Eagleson during the time that Kelly, then a prosecutor, helped to get the first ever executive director of the PA jailed for corruption and embezzlement charges. Eagleson was sentenced to 18 months in prison after pleading guilty.

In a statement, the Players' Association acknowledged the conflict by coming clean with what many perceive to be an embarrassing mistake.

"The NHLPA retained the Honourable R. Roy McMurtry on the basis that he is one of the most highly regarded members of the legal community. The NHLPA and our outside counsel were unaware of his past interaction with Alan Eagleson. Accordingly, we will now seek the NHLPA Executive Board's direction regarding the preparation of a second legal opinion."

In his findings published in the Toronto Star Wednesday, McMurtry determined that the PA had just cause to dismiss Kelly over what he described as a "serious breach of trust" when Kelly improperly obtained a full transcript of a confidential board meeting that excluded him. Due to the conflict of interest, the Players' Association will be forced to dismiss these findings.

Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: NHLPA with egg on their face once again....   NHLPA with egg on their face once again.... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:52 am

I frankly don't care who runs the PA but i swear if there is another lockout i am going to be furious.
Back to top Go down
Quisp

Quisp

PostSubject: Re: NHLPA with egg on their face once again....   NHLPA with egg on their face once again.... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 11:01 am

Realistically speaking, they could hire and fire whoever the hell they want and for whatever reason. If you pissoff your boss or are an underperformer than you can be fired. Plain and simple, why even bother giving a reason.
Why complicate things by making statements about this and that and just say he was fired because we wanted to go in a different direction and he wasn't the man to do it. Done deal.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: NHLPA with egg on their face once again....   NHLPA with egg on their face once again.... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 12:09 pm

Quisp wrote:
Realistically speaking, they could hire and fire whoever the hell they want and for whatever reason. If you pissoff your boss or are an underperformer than you can be fired. Plain and simple, why even bother giving a reason.
Why complicate things by making statements about this and that and just say he was fired because we wanted to go in a different direction and he wasn't the man to do it. Done deal.

Not true. Unions have by-laws they must follow to remove someone...
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: NHLPA with egg on their face once again....   NHLPA with egg on their face once again.... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 12:10 pm

Sports unions have so outlived their usefulness it's crazy.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: NHLPA with egg on their face once again....   NHLPA with egg on their face once again.... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 12:28 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Seriously, is there a union out there that is run by bigger dunderheads than the NHL player's???

That question is rhetorical, right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NHLPA with egg on their face once again....   NHLPA with egg on their face once again.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NHLPA with egg on their face once again....
Page 1 of 1