Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?

Go down 
+4
Beer
sqare
forthewild
00Xtremeninja
8 posters
AuthorMessage
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? Empty
PostSubject: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 7:52 pm

Wang is pretty pissed, will the team move next year?
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:37 pm

my guess is no, they drafted Tavares he had a goal and an assist he can make the franchise profitable again. There isn't too many places in the USA he could move tho, and i doubt the Canadia hating Bettman will let him move it to Canadia
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:46 pm

what about back to Hartford? (pipe dream)
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:54 pm

I just talked to a friend out in Seattle who is on several planning and zoning committees for the city. Granted, he might be talking out of his ass on this one, but they are pushing for a new sports franchise and the sport they are talking the most is hockey.

He said that there are two teams that have contacted them about their intention and viability of upgrading key arena for an NHL team.

He didn't think it was likely that key arena in particular could handle an NHL team. There would have to be a new arena built that could accommodate 20k and that just doesn't seem likely at this point.

For the near future, I wouldn't count on Portland or Seattle being viable locations unless an owner really puts their own money on the line and builds a new location.
Back to top Go down
http://bozak911.blogspot.com/
Beer

Beer

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 9:15 pm

The Islanders lease doesn't expire until 2015 and is apparently ironclad.

Islanders' Lease Prohibits Move

But when that time roles around if there's no new arena in sight, I wouldn't be opposed to a move, preferably just up the road to Hartford.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 4:44 pm

That would makes sense as to why Aaron was telling me "don't expect any news" until 2012. That would give Seattle three years to get an arena up and going from planning to open. Right now, they are simply investigating sites which would be able to handle the parking/arena with infrastructure around it without costing a lot.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:26 pm

is there enough of a demand out in Seattle for a pro team? I know a few guys out there who could give 2 shits about hockey.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Is there a demand in Atlanta, Phoenix, Tampa, Nashville... *grins* you get the idea.

There is a stronger youth hockey program in the pacific northwest than in Florida... Not as strong as canada or minnesota or michigan... but still.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:07 pm

lol i know what you are saying. it just seems like there could be better markets than the Pacific Northwest (I highly doubt Seattle is feeling pain still from the Sonics leaving) for hockey.

But knowing Bettman, he will put an expansion team in a market where it will be able to keep its head above water for a few years before the novelty wears off.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 7:18 pm

It really is time to move franchises to Canada, American markets are starting to be slim, maybe in the northeast like Hartford or Maine but there isn't too many places you can put a team in the USA.

Canada has a good number of options, they have Winnipeg, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Qebek, etc , what NHL needs to do is get teams in Canada and get owners who are willing to do what it takes to make the team a success not just, "hey look we're in Canada lets not care and we'll make money" mentality.
Back to top Go down
thespeckledkiwi

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 4:13 am

00Xtremeninja wrote:
what about back to Hartford? (pipe dream)

No. Rangers would be pissed.
Back to top Go down
Quisp

Quisp

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 4:51 pm

They are going to stay on the Island, they are just going to move countys.
Back to top Go down
Kevin W
Admin
Kevin W

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Bring back the SEALS!
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:33 pm

Seals! Atlanta Flames! Whalers! Jets! Nordiques!
Back to top Go down
Beer

Beer

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Barons! Rockies! Scouts!
Back to top Go down
Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:42 pm

00Xtremeninja wrote:
is there enough of a demand out in Seattle for a pro team? I know a few guys out there who could give 2 shits about hockey.

QTF. When I lived out there NO one gave two shits about puck. Of course that was in '90-'92 and it was all about Grunge, heroin and Red Hook beer. Them losing a franchise already in the inferior, but more popular sport of hoops, does not bode well for the city to land any other sport team for a while. I love that city, but I don't want them to land a team. I want hockey teams in hockey markets. I'm sick of this Bettman "If you build it, they will come" bullshit thinking. My theory is that the next relo within the NHL, whether it be NYI, Fla, PHX or Atl as the likeliest subjects, will be to Quebec City. Read somewhere the other day they are moving ahead with a $400M sports arena. That will go a long way in seeing NHL in QC again
Back to top Go down
Quisp

Quisp

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Well building a new arena doesn't is not what it's cracked up to be, while it is important it could be a disaster for the City.

Kansas City built the Sprint Center in hopes they would get The Pens or New Orleans Hornets. They got squat but a new arena for concerts and trade shows.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 3:44 pm

exactly, use KC's example of how new fancy stadium does not equal team coming there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?   Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will this be the Isle's last season in Long Island?
Page 1 of 1