Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy Empty
PostSubject: For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy   For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 3:52 am

From the Strib...

For Wild's Burns, simplify will satisfy

By MICHAEL RUSSO, Star Tribune
Last update: October 22, 2009 - 6:06 PM

ST. LOUIS - It was as if the astute Wild faithful knew defenseman Brent Burns was going to hand the Colorado Avalanche a goal.

About 10 seconds before Kyle Quincey's go-ahead tally late in the second period Wednesday night, the "Team of 18,000" began to audibly voice its anxiety as Burns stick-handled the puck throughout his own zone.

Finally, as if on cue, Burns tried to single-handedly skate the puck out of the zone from behind the net.

One turnover later, and the crowd's ESP proved true. The Avalanche took the lead.

"It's never easy when a goal goes in like that because you really feel responsible. It's not easy to regroup," coach Todd Richards said.

Yet, somehow Burns did. Even though he had every reason to mope through the third period, Burns recovered and was one of the Wild's best defensemen in the final period of a comeback shootout victory.

Richards said Burns took it upon himself to "simplify his game."

Now Burns might want to consider that right from the opening faceoff until he rediscovers his game. Burns, 24, has had an erratic start to what was billed as a potential rebound season.

Last season was essentially a wash for Burns after a stint at forward, a shoulder injury and season-ending concussion. But he was expected to flourish under Richards' activate-your- defensemen system, yet eight games in, Burns is an NHL-worst minus-10 and has one goal and one assist.

"He's definitely not himself, but I don't want to say he's struggling," Richards said. "This is something that we have to help him through."

As former Wild coach Jacques Lemaire used to say, Burns is "like a kid who's got new toys. He wants to use them all at once."

Burns, who was unavailable for comment Thursday, has gotten himself into trouble this season because he seems to want to do everything. That often has resulted in being out of position. Richards wants Burns to simplify his game.

"He's going to be good. He's going to be really good for us," Richards said. "There's going to come a point where he's going to be one of our best players."

Sykora might be ready

Injured forwards Petr Sykora and Cal Clutterbuck participated in Thursday's optional practice, which for Sykora was his first with the team since straining a groin Oct. 10 in San Jose.

Sykora took part in all the physical aspects of practice, and Richards said he could "possibly" return tonight in St. Louis.

"We still have to be careful with Clutter," Richards said. "We don't want to push him too quickly."

Clutterbuck, who sustained a high ankle sprain Oct. 10 that was expected to sideline him at least until December, traveled with the Wild to St. Louis so he can skate this morning. He won't play this weekend.

"The doctors are telling you that you're not going to hurt it anymore, but the frustrating part for me is being able to get my head around fighting through the pain," Clutterbuck said. "I keep telling myself, 'Why can't you fight through the pain?' I want to play. It's tough to sit here and watch."

Clutterbuck said he'll have a better gauge of how quickly he can return once he starts battling in practice.

"I've had no contact yet," he said. "My skating was a lot better than yesterday, but it's important for me in my head to be confident that I can go into game action. We want to make sure we do it right the first time rather than fumbling with it, and me playing two, sitting three, playing three, sitting two."
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy   For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 12:23 pm

hope the two injured can bounce back for next week.

Burns, just settle down and play your game like you know how. His mind is a cluster with wanting to do everything and then trying it. Just settle the fuck down son, lol.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
mplspug

mplspug

PostSubject: Re: For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy   For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:55 pm

All the defensemen (and forward as far as support goes) need to learn how to break out of our zone. To me the biggest problem this team has had so far is supporting the their linemates.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy   For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Maybe the Wild just arent that good and this is being exposed now in a non-JL system?
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy   For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:06 pm

cehnehdeh wrote:
Maybe the Wild just arent that good and this is being exposed now in a non-JL system?
Uhhh... haven't some of us already made that statement? Razz
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy   For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:19 pm

TaLoN wrote:
cehnehdeh wrote:
Uhhh... haven't some of us already made that statement? For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy Icon_razz

Oh sure but I was just countering pugs assertion with an alternate suggestion.

BTW-Offtopic: How come none of you keeper league fuckers told me I could do up my lineups ahead of time pug? No wonder I'm 0-3!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy   For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For Burns, Simplify will Satisfy
Page 1 of 1