Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Brent Burns Dilemma

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wild_State_of_Hockey

Wild_State_of_Hockey

The Brent Burns Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: The Brent Burns Dilemma   The Brent Burns Dilemma I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Quote :
Just curious... Does anyone really think that GM Chuck Fletcher has the courage to step up and trade this guy?

I for one am all for trading the guy. I just wonder what the reaction to the bandwagon and fair-weather Wild fans would be.

A lot of my family and a couple close friends of mine think that I am crazy for suggesting the Wild trade him.

Problem is, Burns has shown promise since day one (actually, really since 07-08) when he showed promise of being an elite defenseman in the league.

Since that point in time, I can't recall one Wild player (or any other NHL player for that matter) take more stupid risks, try and showboat his way from end to end or make the most stupid decision imaginable than the once "untouchable" Brent Burns.

He is obviously the only player on the Wild that would be able to get anything via the trade route since our talent and prospect pool is so shallow.

But when it comes down to it, do you think it will really happen if is is indeed possible?

I really don't think Fletcher will do it. I want him to do it, but I just don't think he can/will be able to.

The way I look at it (and I'm sure most die-hard Wild fans do as well), the Wild for once are stocked in an area fairly well (defensemen) in both the active roster and prospects. This is definitely one area that we can choose to take some risks with.

The one area we don't have talent in is obviously our forwards corps. If the Wild are to get into the post-season this coming year (or any year in the near future), we simply need to get more out of our forwards than what Fletcher has said by saying "we need more out of our forwards."

No, we can't squeeze the sponge anymore if it is already dry and expect for under-acheiving James Sheppard or Antti "Miss-the-net-again" to suddenly step-up and become a Bobby Ryan type player.

Speaking of Ryan, I've read on here and a few other hockey forums/blogs that the Ducks are indeed looking for a different direction (I'll find the links in a minute). If that's the case, think we can actually get him for Burns? That'd be awesome. Not saying that it is feasible or do-able, but certainly exciting to think about.

Other than Ryan, what other teams have forwards that they are looking to maybe get rid of that we can get? Unfortunately, looking at the Free Agent class this year is frustrating for a Wild fan because there is definitely not the type of talent out there that we can use to build our forwards up again with.

The one and only way this team gets into the post season is for Fletcher to pull some rabbits out of his hat with trades. One of the few, if only assets we have to trade is Mr. Burns.

So, I ask again. Can Fletcher trade him? Is it possible?

Russo had wrote that Leipold did give him permission to do what is necessary to make this team better, but can it actually happen?

I eagerly await the next week or so to see if Fletcher continues to do what he has done since day one; make a surprising but bold and clever move.

Here is to hoping.

See this article and other fan-opinionated articles at hockeyfanfaceoff.com.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hockeyfanfaceoff.com

The Brent Burns Dilemma
Page 1 of 1