Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

12/28 Wild at Kings GDT

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

12/28 Wild at Kings GDT Empty
PostSubject: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 2:25 pm

12/28 Wild at Kings GDT Minnesota_Wild12/28 Wild at Kings GDT CreepyBurgerKing

Minnesota Wild (19-16-3: 39 points, 11th in Western Conference, 4th in Northwest Division)
at Los Angeles Kings (22-13-3: 47 points, T-5th in Western Conference, 3rd in Pacific Division)

From Wild.com:

**LAST GAME**
Game Recap: MIN 4, STL 3
The Minnesota Wild has played more road games than any other team in the NHL, and they’re about to add two more to their total tonight and tomorrow in California. Minnesota will be starting its two game trip in the Golden State with the Los Angeles Kings, and they’ll be doing so without the services of Chuck Kobasew. Kobasew stayed behind after suffering a leg injury in Saturday’s win, and the team is awaiting MRI results today. It’s expected he will miss at least a month.

Despite the loss of Kobasew, the Wild won its second straight game with a hard-fought 4-3 victory over the St. Louis Blues two nights ago. Guillaume Latendresse netted a pair of goals and Shane Hnidy and Kim Johnsson also chimed in with third period goals. Niklas Backstrom stopped 15 shots to help the Wild to its ninth win of the month establishing a franchise record for wins in December.

The Kings have been rolling all season long, but are looking to overcome a recent speed bump after losing three of their last four, all of which were on the road. On Saturday, L.A. lost the battle of the two surprise teams in the West by falling to Phoenix, 3-2. Michal Handzus notched a goal and an assist, and Dustin Brown also scored.

Broadcast Information

Wild at Kings will be broadcast locally in high definition on Fox Sports North at 9:30 PM. The game can be heard on WCCO 830 AM, or online at Wild.com.

Click here to receive Minnesota Wild broadcast alerts/game day previews each Wild Game day

If you would like to receive broadcast alerts (time and channel) by cell phone, simply text TV to 83281

If You’re Going

There aren’t a lot of outdoor rinks in the greater Los Angeles area, but if you’re a Minnesota transplant and looking to log some ice time, bring your skates tonight. There is a new outdoor rink across the street from STAPLES Center inside the Nokia Plaza.

Meet The Royalty

The Wild kicked off a five-game road trip against the Kings back on October 8, and got spanked 6-3 in a game that wasn’t as close as the score indicated. The Wild limped out of that game and dropped four more contests on the road, while the Kings rolled from there and have threatened on several occasions to steal the Pacific Division from the San Jose Sharks.

The Wild didn’t have an answer that night for the top line of Anze Kopitar, Ryan Smyth and Justin Williams. With Kopitar's emerging as a superstar this season, and Smyth providing much needed veteran leadership, the trio looked unstoppable. However, they suffered a devastating loss on Saturday when Williams suffered a broken leg. The Kings will hope that youngster Teddy Purcell, playing in his first full NHL season, can step up and fill the void.

Who’s Hot?

This looked like a misprint at first glance, but the Wild is 11-2-0 in games that Latendresse has played with the club. Additionally, Minnesota is 5-0-0 in games in which he’s scored. With his two goals on Saturday, Latendresse has popped in four goals in four games since missing two with the flu.

Tonight’s Storyline

When you think of the toughest Wild foes, you normally think of Detroit, Calgary and Dallas. Not recently. The team that has been toughest for Minnesota to solve in the last two years is Los Angeles. The Kings have won the last five games against the Wild, and have won four of the last five played at STAPLES Center. The last time the Wild won in L.A. was more than two years ago, on December 15, 2007.

Keep An Eye On

Prior to the season starting, there was some worry that a new offensive system and more freedom for defensemen would yield a lot more scoring chances against. That may have been the case early in the season, but since, the Wild’s blueliners have activated lockdown mode. Gone are the days of ill-advised pinches or missed assignments. All six of the current defensemen appear to be working together like clockwork, and they’re also starting to contribute offensively. Hnidy is now one goal from equaling his total of three from last year. Johnsson now has three goals on the year, which is one shy of his highest total as a Wild player.

Probable Wild Line Combos

Derek Boogaard missed Saturday’s game with an undisclosed injury. He is expected to play tonight, as is James Sheppard, who will be playing a lot more with the loss of Kobasew:

Brunette-Koivu-Miettinen
Nolan-Belanger-Clutterbuck
Latendresse-Ebbett-Havlat
Sheppard-Brodziak-Boogaard

Probable Defensive Pairings

Minnesota gave up three goals on Saturday, but it didn’t give up a lot of scoring chances. Todd Richards is unlikely to shake things up here so long as things continue to go well:

Zanon-Zidlicky
Stoner-Johnsson
Hnidy-Schultz

Between The Pipes

Josh Harding got the start against the Kings in October, but Backstrom is the likely starter tonight.

View From The Press Box

John Scott will most likely be the only healthy scratch tonight.

The Infirmary

Petr Sykora is with the team in California and has been cleared for contact drills, but won’t play tonight. Kobasew is expecting MRI results today on his lower body injury. Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Brent Burns remain out indefinitely with concussions.

Richards’ Quote of the Day

"It can be someone else for us any night.”

-- Todd Richards on his team’s depth and how it’s getting contributions from everybody.

Honorary State of Hockey Residents

D Jack Johnson spent some time with Shattuck St. Mary’s before joining the United States Development program. D Sean O’Donnell was the first captain in the Minnesota Wild’s history. D Davis Drewiske is a native of Hudson, Wisconsin.

Worthless Stat

The Wild gave up three power play goals when it fell to the Vancouver Canucks on December 12. Since then, it hasn’t allowed a power play goal, fighting off the last 18 man advantage situations.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 3:14 pm

Kobasew is out 4-6 weeks sprained MCL some tear on the ACL but the swelling has to go down to determine the extent, so it could be more then 6 weeks, if Sykora can return soon maybe no call ups but otherwise someone will get a crack at the roster.

I think if Nik Backstrom is in net we can win this game, 4-2, harding can also win it but he has to play the game he had vs Washington., i think its going to be Backs tonight, Harding tomorrow, Backs vs LA at home again.
Back to top Go down
Quisp

Quisp

PostSubject: Re: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Ryan Smyth causes more shit against the Wild than any other player because he is always causing a screen or getting in the goalies way. If he doesn't get muscled around he will camp there all night. Someone needs to play him physical so he doesn't spend so much time in front of the net.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 11:52 pm

holy hell, Boogies hit on Smyth might make him not want to be in the crease a lot.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 1:57 am

Belanger's trade value is going up up up Very Happy me likey, I can't wait for Mar 3 my bday and trade deadline maybe the Wild will give me a good present.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 2:28 am

forthewild wrote:
Belanger's trade value is going up up up Very Happy me likey, I can't wait for Mar 3 my bday and trade deadline maybe the Wild will give me a good present.
This post sounds like the work of a total fewl
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 2:51 am

timotheuzi wrote:
forthewild wrote:
This post sounds like the work of a total fewl

i have no idea what you mean so i'm going to imagine that its a good thing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 4:02 pm

I just don't want to trade a bunch of players because I think we can playoffs the way we are right now... Losing Belanger would really hurt our PK and checking line.

At least the wild won, god the vikes have me so depressed.... I should have planned on this happening though.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Thats what the problem is tho, we are good enough to make the playoffs and even upset a team or two, but this isn't our year, i just don't want to take a bunch of UFA's with some value into the playoffs then lose them, we need to set our selves up for the next few years where we can win the cup.

Wild are doing great, making up for the lack luster Vikes, but the loss last night was due to Peterson not being able to hold onto the ball, they will be fine in the playoffs, i prefer them playing an extra game just for momentum sake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 12/28 Wild at Kings GDT   12/28 Wild at Kings GDT I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

12/28 Wild at Kings GDT
Page 1 of 1