Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fletcher Disappointed In Season

Go down 
+3
Jagged Ice
OldTimeHockey
TaLoN
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

Fletcher Disappointed In Season Empty
PostSubject: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 1:41 am

From the Strib...

Wild's Fletcher disappointed in season

Fletcher Disappointed In Season 1wild03291

The GM doesn't sugarcoat things, but he does see positive signs. Wild GM Chuck Fletcher wasn't happy his team missed the playoffs for a second straight year, but said he sees reasons for optimism on the horizon.

By MICHAEL RUSSO, Star Tribune
Last update: April 6, 2010 - 10:54 PM

CALGARY, ALBERTA -- Chuck Fletcher's first season as Wild general manager is coming to an end, and he doesn't sugarcoat how it went.

"This season was a disappointment. There's no other way of putting it," Fletcher said. "In the global sense, in the macro sense, it was a big disappointment."

During last year's non-playoff season, the Wild didn't know it was eliminated until it landed in Columbus for the season finale. This season? The Wild was never inside the top eight.

After starting 1-1, the Wild went on a five-game road trip, lost every one and never recovered from a 3-9 start, which included eight consecutive road losses that foreshadowed a season-long problem that led to the team's likely 13th-place Western Conference finish.

"We were way too inconsistent in all areas of our game to be a playoff team," Fletcher said. "We just weren't good enough to make the playoffs. It wasn't a fluke."

Still, Fletcher is optimistic about the future. He said he feels there are quality players to build around, starting with captain Mikko Koivu, defenseman Brent Burns and goalie Niklas Backstrom.

Fletcher is excited about acquisitions Guillaume Latendresse and Cam Barker, the recruiting of college free agents Casey Wellman and Nate Prosser, the development of youngsters Cody Almond, Justin Falk and Colton Gillies, the turning pro of Marco Scandella, Tyler Cuma and Matt Hackett next season and four draft picks in the top-70 this June.

"I'm very disappointed and expect the fans are very disappointed, but I'm not negative about the future at all," Fletcher said. "We did not accomplish what we wanted to accomplish. But I think the knee-jerk reaction is to assume the only way you're going to get better is by looking outside your organization.

"I strongly believe that a lot of the solutions of the problems we have are rooted within the organization."

Fletcher, a former assistant GM in Florida, Anaheim and Pittsburgh, looked back at some of the issues he confronted during his first year:

• On choosing Todd Richards as coach: "I remain as committed to him as I was last summer when I hired him. I believe in Todd. I know firsthand his intelligence, his passion for the game, his work ethic and his preparation. I think the experience of this season, both the things that went well and the things that didn't go well, will make Todd a better coach next season."

• On Pierre-Marc Bouchard's lost season to a concussion "There's no question in my mind Pierre-Marc Bouchard will return to the NHL as a healthy, happy and productive player at some point. Obviously, with the nature of his injury, it's impossible to predict when that will be. ... It was a huge loss this season, and we'll monitor his progress this summer. If he makes significant improvement, that may impact our decision making. If he doesn't, that may impact our decision making."

• On Martin Havlat (six years, $30 million), his first big signing: "I personally feel Marty can play better, but I can also say that about every player on the club. ... Marty Havlat in my opinion, when healthy, is a proven 60-plus point player [he's at 54 points]. When you look at the contract he signed relative to the market and the production he gives, I think you could argue it's a good contract and he's a player we expect to continue to perform well on an offensive basis for us going forward."

• On trading assets (the Wild dealt a second-round pick and Alexander Fallstrom for Chuck Kobasew and 2009 first-round pick Nick Leddy and Kim Johnsson for Barker): "We traded a 34-year-old defenseman [Johnsson] who indicated he would not re-sign with us and an 18-year old prospect [Leddy] who we think has a good chance to play in the NHL for a 22-year-old defenseman at the time who was playing in the NHL and will continue to. ... We fully expect he'll have a terrific career in front of him. We felt the return justified the assets given up and still do.

"As for Kobasew, we wouldn't have paid two assets if we didn't control him for two seasons. At the time [1-6 record], I was trying to shake up the room, add secondary scoring and as important, add speed, grit and courage. ... I wish Chuck would have scored a few more goals (eight in 40 games), but in fairness, injuries sapped him quite a bit and he helped create the identity that led to [a 13-4-1] turnaround [from Nov. 20-Dec. 28]."

The Wild is the worst offensive team in the NHL on the road (2.15 goals per game). Fletcher said there's a lot of different theories internally as to why, but "the bottom line is we don't win enough games on the road and we must figure out why this offseason."

"[Owner Craig Leipold's] very disappointed we didn't make the playoffs," Fletcher said. "He's a great competitor, and he's not owning this team to be a non-playoff team. He wants to be a quality NHL team that competes year in and year out, and that's also why I'm managing in this business. I like to win and I want to win.

"He's made his expectations very well known to me. I clearly know what the expectations of our fans are. I fully understand there's work we have to do. There's positives here and things to build around, and it's my job to get us to the playoffs and keep us there."
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 am

I read that yesterday, and you know the first thing that crossed the hamster wheel? At least he was honest and didn't feed us the "managing expectations" crap.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 1:47 am

It's such a nice change isn't it? Flat out saying the team sucks and they are not where they want to be, and they have to fix that... period. Wink
Back to top Go down
Jagged Ice

Jagged Ice

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 1:59 am

I read the article in bed yesterday on my blackberry when I woke up and thought it was refreshing with honesty. DR fed us with bullshit optimism for years. Thanks Fletcher for honest talk. You have my full support!
Back to top Go down
Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 am

Almost brutally honest, but a fair assessment. I do kind of wish he commented on the character of this team. Cuz there was rarely any quit in them. How many come from behind wins did we get this year? If we can just stay healthy and learn to win on the road I think we definitely have a mid tier playoff team next season. Although I do expect us to challenge Vancouver, and maybe Colorado, for the division.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:13 pm

i was thinking much of the same thing you all said when reading that. i would rather have him honestly say, "yeah, we fucked up some areas." but there were some positives for us too. really a mixed bag this year. Once our road woes get cleaned up we'll be more of a threat. like i stated a few times before, i am really excited to see what we do in the offseason (if anything trade/signing wise and the draft) and excited for next year. this team will have more of a chance to polish up on their new system this summer instead of starting from square one.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Few things they need to fix, 1 is the effort, yes i know we've battled back hard but you can't have a team on the road playing 1 period of hockey, we need our boys to step up and play all 3 periods, no more of the fucking 2 shots a period, or a shot ever 10 minutes, littelary the road wild fans are paying like 10 bucks a shot sometimes what the fuck.

The talent level, look i don't much like PMB as a player because of his womanly ways with the puck, but its not doubt that he can help us produce. Also if he does return next year and shows he has recovered, i think we could trade him to NJ, remember him and Rolston as a combo and Roslton has been struggling to match his output ever since he left here.

and yes there are a ton of bright spots, Wellman has looked amazing, some muscle on him and he could bloom into our legit number 2 center, also the Stiffmeister or Nate Prosser who too has looked great in a Wild uni, this guy keeps playing this way, was on the 5 on 3 PK last night thats how much he's earned in 2 games, he could make the team. So potentially next year we could have 2 college free agents make the team.

and i love the brutal honesty, this guy is great, yes he's done things i don't agree with, but i'm not going to second guess his moves now,
Back to top Go down
Gnarkill

Gnarkill

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Wellman and the Stiffmeiseter making the team next year would be great, they've been playing well and it would be 2 cheaper slots filled in the roster. I've been impressed by both thus far.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 3:14 pm

also, this honesty shows the team that the GM cares about what they are doing. yeah it might sting a bit when he speaks, but you would rather hear that then someone blowing smoke up your ass
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 3:28 pm

00Xtremeninja wrote:
also, this honesty shows the team that the GM cares about what they are doing. yeah it might sting a bit when he speaks, but you would rather hear that then someone blowing smoke up your ass

ass is finally starting to heal, don't need any more gerbils errr i mean smoke up there.

yes it does speaks volume to his character and to his vision, also getting Prosser and a home boy the Stiffmeister is awesome. btw if Prosser makes the team, i'm almost inclined of getting his jersey with Stiffmeister on the back of it.

even tho we blew cock this year, i'm still very excited for the draft, and the FA frenzy, i think we can make some moves to free up money and space to get a decent player in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fletcher Disappointed In Season   Fletcher Disappointed In Season I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fletcher Disappointed In Season
Page 1 of 1