Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Want to help hockey and the NHL, introduce someone new to the game

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
KillerCarlson

Want to help hockey and the NHL, introduce someone new to the game Empty
PostSubject: Want to help hockey and the NHL, introduce someone new to the game   Want to help hockey and the NHL, introduce someone new to the game I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:50 am

Introduce someone new to the game

Want to help hockey and the NHL, introduce someone to the game

Written by Derek Felska
Monday, 26 July 2010 12:07

Do remember that time you first learned how to throw a baseball, ride a bike or how to cast a line in the water to go fishing? I would guess that in most of those situations, a parent was involved helping guide you at learning and mastering those skills. It certainly did not mean it was free of bumps and bruises. I know when I learned how to ride my bike that tough lesson learned meant I accrued a few scars as well as a few stitches in the process. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad parenting just when my parents let go of the bike I moved into some sand lost control and did a header to the curb. Painful yes, but I learned to avoid sand and through trial and error I eventually gained enough confidence to bike without the training wheels. Yet would the lesson been more painful if my mom and dad didn't help me? Most likely yes, especially after you watch movies like E.T. when I was young where apparently every kid is brazen and skilled enough to outrace police officers in cars and can turn a developing neighborhood into your own BMX supercross event. Sure as I gained more experience I began to trying some of those moves but on far smaller scale. Maybe a small jump off a few boards, perhaps a few off-the road trails but never to escape from a slew of police officers. Pretty tame stuff.

Yet without that help at the beginning who knows how it could've turned out for me. I may have chosen to avoid bike riding altogether. Instead it was valuable escape for a kid as I rode all over town to sports practices and just random kid errands. I never would've had that independence to just jump on my bike and ride off if I had never learned how to ride in the first place. So, what does this have to do with hockey? I think its a lot like riding a bike. Without too much concentration riding a bike seems pretty simple as perhaps does the game of hockey. Put a puck into a net, how tough is that? Whichever team puts the most pucks in the net wins the game. Simple right? Yet like riding a bike upon closer inspection, you begin to notice the variables that can cause you to question your understanding of the whole affair. You see the players performing a line change and suddenly you look around nervously and wonder why they chose to switch personnel at that particular time. That question could be answered rather easily by someone who watches the game regularly but did you ever fear of asking a "simple" question for fear of being teased for your lack of basic knowledge? Its a common fear, I know I didn't often ask questions in class for fear of looking "stupid" in front of my classmates. It seems silly to have been worried about that now, but when you're younger its a big deal yet that fear can still be there into adulthood. People usually tend to avoid things they are unfamiliar with; especially in sports where they don't want to be exposed for being aloof or unaware of basic rules and procedures. (click on the link for the rest of the article)

Enjoy! Just some hints how to help new fans embrace the game!
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

Want to help hockey and the NHL, introduce someone new to the game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want to help hockey and the NHL, introduce someone new to the game   Want to help hockey and the NHL, introduce someone new to the game I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:15 am

love teaching people about the game. on black friday last year a nice family from Nebraska was up visiting family and came to the game for something to do. by the end of the game, the mom was all into it.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com

Want to help hockey and the NHL, introduce someone new to the game
Page 1 of 1