Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Per Russo..What's his name

Go down 
+5
Marlowe Syn
shmiddy
Velmeran
MuckandGrind
BackStopBabe
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BackStopBabe

BackStopBabe

Per Russo..What's his name Empty
PostSubject: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Whatshisname has shot at sticking with Wild

Defenseman John Scott, with an imposing presence at 6 feet 8, is making a good impression in Wild camp as a defenseman.

By MICHAEL RUSSOmrusso@startribune.com

John Scott's game is all about keeping it simple, so it's only fitting that the defenseman has one simple goal this season: For Wild coach Todd Richards to learn his name.

There's a reason Scott's fantasy football team's name is "Hey You!" And there's a reason his Wild nickname is "You!"

"Jacques Lemaire never knew my name," Scott said, laughing. "I don't even think he knows it now. Whenever he saw me, he'd say, 'Hey, uh, you, how you doing?'"

Ten days into training camp, Scott's already ahead of the game. Not only does Richards know his name, but there's a chance he'll be calling it often.

It was revealed Wednesday that enforcer Derek Boogaard, already coming off shoulder surgery, is out indefinitely because of a concussion sustained in Friday's exhibition game against Columbus. That means the fighting in the early part of the season could fall onto the massive fists of the 6-8 Scott.

"We don't know the extent of [Boogaard's injury]," Richards said. "It could be a week, two weeks, could be a month, two months. We don't know."

Being so big, Scott has had to make pugilism a part of his game. This summer, he boxed with Boogaard and core strength coach Jeremy Clark at Minnesota Top Team in Eagan.

"It really helped me a lot with my punching and core power," Scott said. "I've gotten into two fights [in the preseason] already, and I think it shows."

Sunday against Chicago, Scott dropped Blackhawks minor leaguer Danny Bois with a clean right.

"It's part of my game. I know that," Scott said. "And if I'm called on to do it, I'll definitely do it. Anything I have to do to stay up here, I'll do it."

Richards has been impressed with Scott's game, especially the way he sticks up for teammates.

"There's been a couple situations where he's been the first guy in," Richards said. "He's basically the dad that comes in if two brothers are fighting, and it settles down pretty quickly."
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Not good news......I don't happen to be a really a big fan of big guys who can't skate.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:24 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Not good news......I don't happen to be a really a big fan of big guys who can't skate.
But apparently he's the only tough guy who can 'fight' we have left.
So therefore he by default (oh and that 1way deal Lynn gave him) looks like he'll make the team...
Back to top Go down
BackStopBabe

BackStopBabe

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:26 pm

I had a teacher once that just called me hey you or you until I got up and walked out of his class..LOL

He hasn't seem all that impressive to me..but, who knows? hockey3
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 pm

Velmeran wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:
So therefore he by default (oh and that 1way deal Lynn gave him) looks like he'll make the team...

Hey, I figure he plays better position than Boogaard so it's a philosophical improvement.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:58 pm

shmiddy wrote:
Velmeran wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

Hey, I figure he plays better position than Boogaard so it's a philosophical improvement.
You've got me there.... scratch
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Velmeran wrote:
shmiddy wrote:
Velmeran wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

I think he's saying that Scott is a slightly better overall hockey player than Boogaard is....and he's probably right.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:03 pm

Oh I know...
I'm just a lil scared and concerned about that thought.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Maybe if a guy is going to take a penalty by running a guy or roughing a guy, it's better the act be done to defend the crease at this point. Now if he goes charging into offensive scrums at the goal line then we've got a problem. But the D corps used to do it's business positionally and It's be nice to see some of it done with brutality.

Boogaard wasn't really allowed to go after guys anyway, just to piss them off and draw penalties and Clutz is better at it because guys will actually consider clobbering him. So what's lost? The mysterious effect Boogaard has from the bench and commercial break power turns? If I was an opposing pest I'd figure the odds were pretty good that he wouldn't get me in his three minutes of ice time. Or just pull a Lappy and laugh at him and skate away. At least Scott can conceivably get a jab off in the crease where the stripes will be inclined to let it go.

If they waste a spot on Weller, I think I'll cry. He's got nothing. Probably better off using old man Nolan.

My logic could be shot though. I;ve had a few.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:18 pm

Soooo......is Scott going to be used as a foward? I'd prefer that they use Sifers as the 7th defenseman.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Soooo......is Scott going to be used as a foward? I'd prefer that they use Sifers as the 7th defenseman.

If they did that he's no better than Boogaard probably. Between Sifers and Scott it's marginal enough that I could live with Scott. Size could be the excuse. Sifers lost to Hall. At this point I figure you have to have someone half way menacing available. Scott logged a few minutes last season. It's wouldn't really be a ridiculous decision.
Back to top Go down
Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Velmeran wrote:
shmiddy wrote:
Velmeran wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

I think he's saying that Scott is a slightly better overall hockey player than Boogaard is....and he's probably right.

I'm a slightly better overall player than Boogaard, and I haven't laced up the skates in almost 20 years. My first thought when Russo twitted that Boogs was out indefinitely, that leaves the door open for Scott. My second thought was, Oooh Muck will not be happy if that is the case.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:30 pm

Why do we need to keep Scott if Boogaard can't play? We don't need Boogaard int he first place! Get rid of both of'em! hockey3
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:19 am

TaLoN wrote:
Why do we need to keep Scott if Boogaard can't play? We don't need Boogaard int he first place! Get rid of both of'em! hockey3

I'm with you.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 am

I'm not a big, "we'll have no legit heavyweight" or "who's gonna be the enforcer" guy, but I confess, I think this squad gets run without some form of pugilist. I don't think they have enough grit built into the roster and I don't think they have the talent to make teams pay on the scoreboard when they get chippy.

Besides, I don't think that Scott is as completely worthless as everybody else seems to. I wanted to hug him last year for being the first D man in recent memory to toss a punk out of the crease. I guess with this roster, small things impress. I havn't seen Hnidy or Zanon in action though, so maybe I'm all wrong about the brutality level. I do think this team needs some brutality. At least for now. In my one game of observation I thought any difference between Scott and Sifers was marginal.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:36 am

shmiddy wrote:
I'm not a big, "we'll have no legit heavyweight" or "who's gonna be the enforcer" guy, but I confess, I think this squad gets run without some form of pugilist. I don't think they have enough grit built into the roster and I don't think they have the talent to make teams pay on the scoreboard when they get chippy.

Besides, I don't think that Scott is as completely worthless as everybody else seems to. I wanted to hug him last year for being the first D man in recent memory to toss a punk out of the crease. I guess with this roster, small things impress. I havn't seen Hnidy or Zanon in action though, so maybe I'm all wrong about the brutality level. I do think this team needs some brutality. At least for now. In my one game of observation I thought any difference between Scott and Sifers was marginal.

I should clarify. NOT at the cost of any significant talent. Which I don't really see between Scott and Sifers... and I don't think this squad would be the only one using size/role criteria to choose between to competing players.
Back to top Go down
Jarick

Jarick

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 10:35 am

If Scott can play the odd shift at wing in addition to defense as well as dropping gloves, he'll have a very good chance to make the roster.

The downside to Scott is that he isn't the fighter and hitter than Boogaard was. Remember a couple years ago, Boogey was the most feared guy in the NHL. He was destroying players with body checks, getting under their skin, and winning fights. Scott said last year he doesn't like fighting but he had to do it to make teams. That doesn't bode well for his ability to be a bona fide enforcer.
Back to top Go down
Fargocase

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 11:30 am

I am not a fan of John Scott at all; IMO he's nowhere near NHL caliber. T. Rex Enforcers are getting close to extinction IMO. We don't really need Booger or Scott. But if the team must have an Enforcer, and Booger's hurt... I guess that leaves Weller and Scott. I don't think Weller getting the snot beat out of him will benefit the team, so by default I guess Scott is in.
Back to top Go down
Quisp

Quisp

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Last year Scott look like a very large deer in the headlights everytime he got the puck.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 7:27 pm

Quisp wrote:
Last year Scott look like a very large deer in the headlights everytime he got the puck.
I wouldn't expext that to change.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 4:37 pm

I didn't last night's game, but I did read about Scott having his kitchen camped in by a guy who "is like 5' 10'" so yeah, I guess I retract.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Fargocase wrote:
I am not a fan of John Scott at all; IMO he's nowhere near NHL caliber. T. Rex Enforcers are getting close to extinction IMO. We don't really need Booger or Scott. But if the team must have an Enforcer, and Booger's hurt... I guess that leaves Weller and Scott. I don't think Weller getting the snot beat out of him will benefit the team, so by default I guess Scott is in.

Yeah, Weller is really worthless. Hey maybe they can get by with this sort of thing:

Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Think we can count on some of that spin from our guys calling the game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Per Russo..What's his name   Per Russo..What's his name I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Per Russo..What's his name
Page 1 of 1