Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wild vs. Stars - 1-9-2011 Official GDT

Go down 
AuthorMessage
KillerCarlson

Wild vs. Stars - 1-9-2011 Official GDT Empty
PostSubject: Wild vs. Stars - 1-9-2011 Official GDT   Wild vs. Stars - 1-9-2011 Official GDT I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Wild vs. Stars post-game and much more

Dallas halts the Wild's winning streak at 4 games despite valiant effort by the Wild

Written by Derek Felska | 09 January 2011

As the NFL Playoffs begin, for the fans of Minnesota they find themselves out in the cold and in the land of uncertainty. Brett Favre is effectively finished and I think even Minnesota fans would be shocked if he returned for another season with the Vikings let alone anyone else in the NFL. Now for the uncertainty, first is at quarterback where many doubt Tavaris Jackson, the man once thought to be the future starting QB for the Vikings and he is a free agent this upcoming offseason. So who will be the Vikings quarterback? Joe Webb, the fantastic athlete from the University of Alabama-Birmingham who dazzled with his running ability and surprised many with his throwing skill. However, is he really the kind of quarterback that new head coach Leslie Frazier wants to start next season with or should the Vikings be looking at drafting a quarterback in the 1st round? However the biggest uncertainty surrounds whether the Vikings will be playing after next season and I'm not talking about their road schedule. The Vikings have just one more year on their lease at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, and for over a decade have been pining for a new stadium where they have insisted is necessary in order to make money. State and County lawmakers have hemmed and hawed and still no resolution is in sight. In the meantime the Metropolitan Sports Commission is going ahead with the plan to fix the Metrodome's deflated roof, but could next year be the last year for the Vikings in Minnesota. The NFL has stated several times it wants a team in Los Angeles, and while I've heard Vikings fans say "it will never happen" all I'd ask them to take a look at is the Wild's opponent today, the Dallas Stars.

Back in the early 1990's many were indignant about the possibility of the Minnesota North Stars leaving but in 1993 it happened. Then North Stars owner Norm Green became an instant pariah and hasn't returned to the State of Hockey since. Any professional sports team can move and while I am not saying that fans must always lobby for wealthy owners to get whatever they want, they should at least understand that these people are in business to make money and they'll do whatever they can to keep making money even if it means ripping out the hearts of long-time fans in the process. Will Zygi Wilf do that to Minnesota fans, I doubt its something he wants to do but if it protects his investment I think he'll do whatever it takes even if it means becoming the Los Angeles Vikings. If NHL hockey can be ripped from us, football certainly can as well. The Wild are not in any kind of danger of that taking place but they too are battling a level of uncertainty as they are trying to ride a wave of success that it hasn't had all season that has gotten it near the precipice of the playoff picture in the Western Conference. Will the Wild take another step forward or a step back after a great road trip? (click on the link for the rest of the article)

Good effort, fun game to watch even if their hard work wasn't rewarded with a win. There is a complete post-game report, a Houston Aeros update, and a complete rundown of the weekend in the WCHA Men's Hockey. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down

Wild vs. Stars - 1-9-2011 Official GDT
Page 1 of 1