Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday

Go down 
+4
Marlowe Syn
Quisp
lolwat
Velmeran
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Velmeran

Velmeran

Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday Empty
PostSubject: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 2:28 pm

From TSN:

Quote :
The verdict is in. After a much-publicized attempt at an NHL comeback, Theoren Fleury has been released by the Calgary
Flames.

The team released a statement Friday afternoon confirming the decision.

"I believe Theoren did a great job and should be proud, especially considering all the factors including age, time away from the game and lifestyle change," said general manager Darryl Sutter in the statement. "This is not a hockey story; it's a life story. Our agreement with Theoren was that he had to be one of our top six wingers and there were never any intentions of assigning him to the American Hockey League."

Fleury was gracious in his response.

"I am very thankful to Darryl and the Flames organization for following through on the commitment to provide me with this opportunity," Fleury said in a statement. "I said in the beginning that no matter what the outcome, this would be a success story. I intend to take the next few days to review this experience and make decisions with my family regarding next steps in my life."

Fleury said he will have a press conference on Monday but would not commit on whether or not he was retiring from the game.

"I need a couple of days," Fleury told TSN.

The 41-year-old had generated a buzz league-wide with his spirited effort in the pre-season, putting up four points in an attempt to crack the Flames' final roster.

The 5'6 sniper was drafted by the team 166th overall in the eighth round of the 1987 NHL Entry Draft.

He brought home the franchise's last Stanley Cup back in 1989. In 1990-91, Fleury had 51 goals and 53 assists for a career-high 104 points. He had NHL seven seasons with more than 70 points and was a seven-time All-Star. He had over 1000 games of NHL experience with four teams.

Thoughts? Think he'll hang 'em up again, or try to latch on with another team? Would any other teams be interested?
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 2:46 pm

I'm sure someone would toss him an AHL offer, the question would be whether he wants it or not.
Back to top Go down
Quisp

Quisp

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 3:01 pm

I was reading a Calgary blog and he was outperforming many of the young guys and was showing a damn good shooting touch in practice. He even had more gas in the tank than some of the youngsters. If you ask me, expecting to him to crack the top six forwards was unfair. You do what makes your team better for the current year and if that is keeping a 41 year old then you do it. Kipper is not getting any younger and witheir current roster they got a legit shot at a cup run. Keeping a fringe NHL player to get experience is iffy if Fleury is a better option now.
I don't know if he would have cracked the roster on talent but from everything I have read he had a great tryout and after being away for six years he would have only gotten better, at least a little bit.
Plus he would create more jersey sales than whoever would be in that spot. Oh well, I give him mad ups for trying and doing well.
Back to top Go down
Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 8:40 pm

I was never a fan of the runt back in the day, but I gotta admit I was rooting for him. You gotta respect the effort he put out there. You know even if Theo couldn't crack the top six, I still think he would bring leadership presence, veteran knowledge, just general intangibles. He wouldn't be getting big money. Play him 3rd line and top PP. 60 or so games a year. Might help the Flames in the playoffs as well. Myopic choice by Sutter here I think. One of Calgary's bottom eight must be waivable.

If Wolverine was a hockey player, he'd be Theo Fleury.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Well said MS. It sounds really wacky for Sutter to say he had to be top 6 or nothing. That's crazy and pretty much unreasonable.

Look at the Wild....who do you want up front- a guy like Scott or a guy like Fleury? Every team has examples like this.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:24 pm

No surprise here....I was pulling for him, but I think even he knew how long the odds were of him making the roster.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Yea but from what I saw of him in the preseason he's very capable of adding a little scoring depth while playing minimal minutes each night.

He still has a lot of the tools that can't be taught IMO

Either way, I'm surprised they didnt just assign him to Abbotsford. He said previously he'd play there and in case any of you don't know it, the Flames farm team is smack dab in the middle of Canuck country. (An hour from Vancouver). This is their inaugral season and Fleury would've been a GREAT pr move to get bums in seats!
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:41 pm

You think he'll sign on for a minor league team?
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:28 am

TaLoN wrote:
You think he'll sign on for a minor league team?

I read an article the other day where Fleury said he'd have no problem reporting to the minors. He said Abbotsford has to be better than where he played last year. (Some real small town back East, can't remember where). So yea, I think he would've played in the AHL
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:36 am

I'm not asking if he would've, I'm asking if he WILL, to prove he can still play and maybe get picked up by someone else later.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:40 am

I definately think he'll sign on with a minor league team. I'm actually VERY bummed it wasnt with the Abbotsford Heat. Sad
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:52 pm

Quote :
THE CANADIAN PRESS

CALGARY -- Theoren Fleury's career is ending in the same place it began.

The 41-year-old has decided not to try and pursue a comeback with another NHL team, choosing instead to retire as a member of the Calgary Flames.

"I could not sign with another team," he said. "I retire a Calgary Flame."

The Flames released him from a tryout last week.

Fleury was attempting to return to the NHL after a six-year absence and managed to record four points in four pre-season games with Calgary.

But with 14 forwards on one-way contracts, securing a spot as one of the team's top-six forwards proved too much.

Fleury is second on the Flames' all-time scoring list with 830 points in 791 games. Current captain Jarome Iginla leads with 851 points.

Fleury broke into the NHL in the 1988-89 season and won a Stanley Cup with the Flames.

He later cracked the Canadian men's Olympic squad that won a gold medal in Salt Lake City in 2002.

The native of Oxbow, Sask., also had NHL stints with the Colorado, the New York Rangers and Chicago.

I'm quite surprised. See ya Fleury!
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Too bad what they should have done is signed him to a 1 game deal let him play the home oppener then he could retire. I gotta say i'd rather have Fleury then Weller
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Welp... oh well for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday   Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snuffed Out: Fleury released by Flames; Will address future on Monday
Page 1 of 1