Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both Empty
PostSubject: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:47 am

Pouls has been on fire for the Habs since he came back, has 2 game winning goals, and 6 goals in his last 9 games.

Of course I don't need to spell out how well Latendresse has done in a Wild uni as well... but for a comparative time frame, Lats has 7 goals in his last 9 games. He also has 2 game winners since the trade.

Glad to see both sides being happy with the results. It's a rare thing in sports that a trade like this happens and it works out great for both.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:07 pm

This looks to be the case of the guys finally having line mates that can help them devlop and get confidence. Its too bad because i think the team didn't really give pouls the chance, but i'm quite happy with Lats now if we can only ink him to a nice longer deal that would be good.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:37 pm

forthewild wrote:
This looks to be the case of the guys finally having line mates that can help them devlop and get confidence. Its too bad because i think the team didn't really give pouls the chance, but i'm quite happy with Lats now if we can only ink him to a nice longer deal that would be good.

Lats is under team control for quite some time, I'd only like to see him signed for next season to see where he is at before committing significant money to him.

Pouliot, well he finally got a chance to play with skilled linemates for more than 1 period. Doesn't surprise me at all to see him having success. The talent was always there, but for whatever reason 2 coaches felt that scrubs like Antti Missthenetagain were better suited to top-6 roles.
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Especially this year I've noticed that Miettinen doesn't belong on the first or even the second line...I am not sure what he's doing on the first line...

Then I wonder where he should be instead....and I get confused..because I'm not really sure what he is good at.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Dee Oh Cee wrote:
Especially this year I've noticed that Miettinen doesn't belong on the first or even the second line...I am not sure what he's doing on the first line...

Then I wonder where he should be instead....and I get confused..because I'm not really sure what he is good at.

He's good at missing the net Very Happy

Antti is a solid defensive forward, but has below average offensive abilities. His shot is terrible and inaccurate, he does not play physical, yet for whatever reason he continues to get top-line minutes on a line which NEEDS a SHOOTER. Put him on the 3rd line at ~1M and I wouldn't say a bad thing about the guy. Veilleux was a comparable player, though Antti does have better puck skills but Veilleux made up for that in physical play. Dime a dozen player, but he's in the wrong role for the wrong price.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:13 pm

lolwat wrote:
Dee Oh Cee wrote:

He's good at missing the net Very Happy

Antti is a solid defensive forward, but has below average offensive abilities. His shot is terrible and inaccurate, he does not play physical, yet for whatever reason he continues to get top-line minutes on a line which NEEDS a SHOOTER. Put him on the 3rd line at ~1M and I wouldn't say a bad thing about the guy. Veilleux was a comparable player, though Antti does have better puck skills but Veilleux made up for that in physical play. Dime a dozen player, but he's in the wrong role for the wrong price.

As to why Earl who has a better shot and hustle and physical play or even Shep ( i know he's terribad but still putting him with two leaders who could use him to just shoot the puck might spark his game) or even Sykora he does have a shot better then Antti. as many have said Mittens is suited for a bottom line role where he can play defensive game not on the top line when he can't put the puck on the net 90% of the time.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 5:39 pm

You work with what tools you have or you go out and buy new tools.

For the beginning of the season, the coaches were trying to find the chemistry for Havlat. They found that in Lats - Brodz - Havlat.

Miettinen is a third line shut down type of player. I will agree with that. However, in a team full of shut down, third line type players, Miettinen is more skilled than a Kobasew or Clutterbuck and he's faster than Nolan. You can't put Sykora on that line because Brunette's already slow enough. Sykora is soft in the corners as well and most of that line's offense is generated by digging the puck out of corners.

I think it's a recipe for disaster to put Sykora in Miettinen's place. I may be wrong and Brunette and Koivu will absorb most of the work on that line and simply continually feed Sykora the puck, but prepare for a lot odd man rushes the other way. Unless you have Johnsson/Schultz constantly covering the points and not pinching in...

*shrugs*

I'm still amazed that Brodziak is a "second" line center.
Back to top Go down
http://bozak911.blogspot.com/
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:03 pm

sqare wrote:
You work with what tools you have or you go out and buy new tools.

For the beginning of the season, the coaches were trying to find the chemistry for Havlat. They found that in Lats - Brodz - Havlat.

Miettinen is a third line shut down type of player. I will agree with that. However, in a team full of shut down, third line type players, Miettinen is more skilled than a Kobasew or Clutterbuck and he's faster than Nolan. You can't put Sykora on that line because Brunette's already slow enough. Sykora is soft in the corners as well and most of that line's offense is generated by digging the puck out of corners.

I think it's a recipe for disaster to put Sykora in Miettinen's place. I may be wrong and Brunette and Koivu will absorb most of the work on that line and simply continually feed Sykora the puck, but prepare for a lot odd man rushes the other way. Unless you have Johnsson/Schultz constantly covering the points and not pinching in...

*shrugs*

I'm still amazed that Brodziak is a "second" line center.

I feel Kobasew or Clutterbuck would be a better fit. Both are far more willing fore-checkers, and have better shots. Neither should be top-line players either though.

Brodziak has played well lately, but I doubt it lasts. By the offseason it will be clear we need a true #2 center, just IMO the top-line winger should be a higher priority, especially considering next year could be Bruno's last year, and he is the better of Koivu's wingers.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:55 pm

Kobasew, yes. Clutterbuck, no. Don't over-value Clutterbuck's skills. He has one shot, from the wing above the face-off dot.

I doubt it's Bruno's last year here. I would imagine he will be re-signed for at least another two.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:02 pm

sqare wrote:
Kobasew, yes. Clutterbuck, no. Don't over-value Clutterbuck's skills. He has one shot, from the wing above the face-off dot.

I doubt it's Bruno's last year here. I would imagine he will be re-signed for at least another two.

If Haula keeps playing the way he does, that could be a great line Bruno Koivu Haula
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 pm

sqare wrote:

Its more about the forecheck. Antti Miettinen is arguably the softest forward we have(Bouchard/Sykora aren't playing so they don't count), Clutterbuck is willing to hit and his shot is better than Antti's(I'm not sure Antti's shot is better than mine, and I played goalie in youth hockey). Bruno will play next year, but thats the last year of his deal, and with his skating/age hard to see them bring him back for any more.

forthewild wrote:

If Haula keeps playing the way he does, that could be a great line Bruno Koivu Haula

Haula is playing in a mediocre league, likely followed by FOUR years in college hockey. Brunette ain't going to play 5 more years, and Haula won't immediately join the first line on the Wild.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:14 pm

lolwat wrote:
Antti Miettinen is arguably the softest forward we have(Bouchard/Sykora aren't playing so they don't count), Clutterbuck is willing to hit and his shot is better than Antti's(I'm not sure Antti's shot is better than mine, and I played goalie in youth hockey).

You need to watch more Wild hockey then because your statements are founded somewhere in dreamland. Miettinen's shots are a helluvalot more varied that Clutterbuck's. Hell, Miettinen *has* a backhand shot. Clutterbuck has ONE shot. From the wing, at the dots, top shelf. That's it.

Miettinen our softest forward? Puh-lease. Again, watch him play. Brodziak, Earl, Havlat, Belanger, Ebbett, and to a certain degree, even KOIVU are softer than Mittens. Most of the time, if it's not Koivu carrying the puck into the zone, it's Miettinen digging it out of the corners to feed it to either Bruno behind the net or Koivu closer to the point or the middle.

I know you are biased against Miettinen for some reason, therefore arguing with you about him is completely pointless. I do it anyway, though... Cool

It's gotten to the point where I have to wonder if Miettinen ran over your cat or something.
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:32 pm

I agree with everything lol said about Mittens
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:05 pm

sqare wrote:
lolwat wrote:
Antti Miettinen is arguably the softest forward we have(Bouchard/Sykora aren't playing so they don't count), Clutterbuck is willing to hit and his shot is better than Antti's(I'm not sure Antti's shot is better than mine, and I played goalie in youth hockey).

You need to watch more Wild hockey then because your statements are founded somewhere in dreamland. Miettinen's shots are a helluvalot more varied that Clutterbuck's. Hell, Miettinen *has* a backhand shot. Clutterbuck has ONE shot. From the wing, at the dots, top shelf. That's it.

Miettinen our softest forward? Puh-lease. Again, watch him play. Brodziak, Earl, Havlat, Belanger, Ebbett, and to a certain degree, even KOIVU are softer than Mittens. Most of the time, if it's not Koivu carrying the puck into the zone, it's Miettinen digging it out of the corners to feed it to either Bruno behind the net or Koivu closer to the point or the middle.

I know you are biased against Miettinen for some reason, therefore arguing with you about him is completely pointless. I do it anyway, though... Cool

It's gotten to the point where I have to wonder if Miettinen ran over your cat or something.

Varied? Sure, he has a terrible wrister and a terrible backhand. Brodziak/Koivu are at worst on-par with Miettinen, and they are centers, which IMO regardless of system, should not be the initial fore-checker. Havlat is a finesse player with NHL top-line skill, whereas Miettinen is a finesse player with AHL/FNL top-line skill. Earl was far more physical on the fore-check when he was in(Miettinen is a better player than career minor leaguer Earl though).

Theres nothing completely wrong with the player that the Wild should put him on waivers at this point in time, its his salary and role. The Wild won't be a playoff team with him in the top-6(then again they aren't with Clutterbuck/Kobasew either).
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:52 pm

lolwat wrote:
The Wild won't be a playoff team with him in the top-6(then again they aren't with Clutterbuck/Kobasew either).

Agree fully. Miettinen should be on the third line consisting of: Miettinen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck.

If that was our third line, I would be happy with that.

I don't think we will be a contending team until after next season, either. Unless Bouchard comes back and absolutely KILLS at center...Rolling Eyes

We're pretty much left with the same forward situation as we have this year...
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 5:18 pm

sqare wrote:
lolwat wrote:
The Wild won't be a playoff team with him in the top-6(then again they aren't with Clutterbuck/Kobasew either).

Agree fully. Miettinen should be on the third line consisting of: Miettinen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck.

I don't think we will be a contending team until after next season, either. Unless Bouchard comes back and absolutely KILLS at center...Rolling Eyes

Bruno Koivu Shooter with speed (if shepp can unfuck him self or a trade) or even Petr if he works out here

Havlat Butch Lats (butch is the soft player but lats and havlat are dangerous enough and competitive enough to off set that

Mittens Brodz and Clutterbuck as the 3rd line would be very good.

that would give us a good line into the playoffs as long as the effort is there we could do very well and even pull off an upset.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 6:45 pm

The thing when watching Lats and Pouls is they are doing things they didn't with their respective teams, i mean yesterday Pouls dropped the gloves fought and won, has he ever shown that bite in MN? he's also doing things like crashing the net didn't do that here.

The only question i want answered is on Lats and his contract.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 pm

sqare wrote:
lolwat wrote:

We could contend next year if GMCF aggressively pursues top-6 options, which would weaken the defense. The only significant raises GMCF has to account for over the next 2 seasons are for Latendresse and Koivu, both of which should be kicking in for 2011/12(I wouldn't be happy giving Latendresse a long-term deal unless it was for an extremely cheap price after just this season, needs to prove himself next year as well. Qualifying offer or a mediocre raise on a 1-year deal.).

The Bouchard contract is going to hurt this team for some time, unless he decides to retire. If there was any way to get his albatross off the books in the offseason or at any point next season I'd do it. Waivers, expiring contracts, done. I wouldn't be opposed to swapping him for Jeff Finger and then buying the Finger out.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 7:00 pm

lolwat wrote:
sqare wrote:
lolwat wrote:

We could contend next year if GMCF aggressively pursues top-6 options, which would weaken the defense. The only significant raises GMCF has to account for over the next 2 seasons are for Latendresse and Koivu, both of which should be kicking in for 2011/12(I wouldn't be happy giving Latendresse a long-term deal unless it was for an extremely cheap price after just this season, needs to prove himself next year as well. Qualifying offer or a mediocre raise on a 1-year deal.).

The Bouchard contract is going to hurt this team for some time, unless he decides to retire. If there was any way to get his albatross off the books in the offseason or at any point next season I'd do it. Waivers, expiring contracts, done. I wouldn't be opposed to swapping him for Jeff Finger and then buying the Finger out.

The best part of Butch is we don't know what he will bring with new coach, he may have decent play/numbers to where a team will take him and we can trade him, he may even surprise everyone and play well we need to see him play but yeah if he does retie then we get a huge bonus to our cap.

I hope we don't over pay a guy like Frolov i know people love him here but i hate his lack of effort, i just don't want a guy who'll show up like 65game a year or something like that, Ottawa is fucked with Kovalev and i don't want to be in that situation. If we can score a t6 player, either for johnnson or zits and a pick, or even trade for a prospect who's ready to step in or Sharp (drool).
The one place we have depth is D. this year will be interesting, i'm still hoping we can trade our assets and stock up on picks or prospects.
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Depth in D? I'm not sure I understand...unless you mean later on and not at present..I mean right now one of our top 6 guys is John Scott and that is a problem (even if he's our 7th guy...which means there isn't a WHOLE lot of depth)

Either way, Burns is a question mark, Zidlicky plays terrible defense...I don't like Hnidy....

So I suppose our best top 6 with all of them healthy might be:

Schultz - Johnsson
Zidlicky - Burns
Zanon - Stoner

Which isn't terrible but its not great either...like we see when we lose one or two guys (Burns/Stoner) we have to play guys like Hnidy and Scott...so there isn't a terrible amount of depth...but it will hopefully get better when/if Cuma, Leddy, and Scandella become NHL ready.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Dee Oh Cee wrote:
Depth in D? I'm not sure I understand...unless you mean later on and not at present..I mean right now one of our top 6 guys is John Scott and that is a problem (even if he's our 7th guy...which means there isn't a WHOLE lot of depth)

Either way, Burns is a question mark, Zidlicky plays terrible defense...I don't like Hnidy....

So I suppose our best top 6 with all of them healthy might be:

Schultz - Johnsson
Zidlicky - Burns
Zanon - Stoner

Which isn't terrible but its not great either...like we see when we lose one or two guys (Burns/Stoner) we have to play guys like Hnidy and Scott...so there isn't a terrible amount of depth...but it will hopefully get better when/if Cuma, Leddy, and Scandella become NHL ready.

What i meant was if we had to cap flexibility and roster space Stoner and Sifers would be here, not sure what the scouting report on Noreau is but he is putting up mad points in AHL and we have some prospects for years down the road. Yes our D isn't the strongest, but the defensive pool this summer is stronger.

Idealy we'd ink Boogard or Scott as a forward for fighting, trade the other, and then have the defensive core be for this year anyways Johnnson Zits Burns Shultz Zanon Stoner with Hnidy being the odd man out.
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 pm

At least Mittens is good at deflections I guess
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 3:51 am

Pouls with 7 goals in the last 8 games.... why did the Wild never give him this kind of chance?!

Get this... Sheppard... in his entire career has 11g 37a in 200 games played...

Pouls has 18g 10a in 79 games played.

Ugh... Shep is worthless!
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:54 am

TaLoN wrote:
Pouls with 7 goals in the last 8 games.... why did the Wild never give him this kind of chance?!

Get this... Sheppard... in his entire career has 11g 37a in 200 games played...

Pouls has 18g 10a in 79 games played.

Ugh... Shep is worthless!

I watched tsn tonight Pouls scored his goal when he won the battle to get in front of the net got a great feed and just put it behind Marty, thats why he is doing so well, he's going places and winning battles. Darby needs to show these tapes to Shepp, get him to do the same, crash the net, and fight for that space, copy what Pouls and even Lats are doing, he needs to get his ass in the high payoff area, if he can and show the coaches he can win battles and has a shot better then Mittens, he could be on a line with Bruno Koivu and be the trigger man.

He needs to change his play what he's doing isn't working. Also as you said why Pouls was never put on the line with Koivu and Bruno is beyond me, hell he'd have fit the role perfectly crash the net and fight for the space to shoot, bruno is great in the corners and Koivu is just a smart aware play maker. I'm not complaining about lats, just saying Pouls was stuck on the scrub line and was expected to just light it up,
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 7:30 am

Yeah, Pouls couldn't even get with Koivu and Bruno... yet Shep was given a shot with Gaborik!!! Fucked up I tell you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both   Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Habs/Wild Trade Working for Both
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next