Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? Empty
PostSubject: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 2:41 am

According to Russo, that may be the case!

Before we go, here's Adam Burish on Chris Pronger, and he doesn't mince words. Couldn't agree more with Burish on the terrible part. Two biggest games of the year, and Pronger was "terrible." He couldn't slash and cross-check the Flyers to the Cup. Of course, at least Pronger played. Incidentally, since it's looking like the Wild won't have an enforcer next year (Boogaard likely can get more money and longer deal than the Wild can give on the open market), it will likely go the team toughness route. Burish, a free agent, might be a good affordable way to start.

I say GOOD MOVE if the Wild go enforcerless!
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 2:51 am

We don't need no stinkin' enforcer if Butch re-joins the lineup. Who wants to go up against a guy named "Butch." NOBODY!! Fear him!!! Laughing

On a separate note, it appears as though Walz is going to be used a lot this season now that he's moved back to his second home. He's going on the road tour and will be at the draft party. Looks like the Wild are going to use him as the mascot this year in order to celebrate the 10-year anniversary. Why not just give the guy a job somewhere in the front office already? Team him up with Bomber. Then when Greenlay and Terhaar get canned, give Bomber's job to Walz....and Bomber and Bruno can take over tv duties. Sound like a plan? cheers
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:23 am

Hey, maybe someone will do us a favor in the first game of the season and knock Butch out for another 81 games! Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? Shifty_smiley
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:49 am

TaLoN wrote:
Hey, maybe someone will do us a favor in the first game of the season and knock Butch out for another 81 games! Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? Shifty_smiley
Shocked Shocked Shocked

You are sooooo going to hell for that one. Wanna carpool?
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 am

I'd love to... let's drive a Hummer though. I mean, we do have so much oil in this nation that we feel we can freely let 2mil gallons daily flow directly out of a well and into the Gulf... It's not gas that we need to save by carpooling... Wink
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 4:46 am

TaLoN wrote:
I'd love to... let's drive a Hummer though. I mean, we do have so much oil in this nation that we feel we can freely let 2mil gallons daily flow directly out of a well and into the Gulf... It's not gas that we need to save by carpooling... Wink
Those responsible for that incident will also be going to hell. We might want to skip the Hummer and rent a bus.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 4:54 am

Naw... can't pick up everyone along the way. Gotta leave some to fend for themselves.

Someone should find out if the guy Tonya Harding hired takes checks... and if so, does he hit people above the neck, or does he only target the knee?
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 5:27 am

TaLoN wrote:
Naw... can't pick up everyone along the way. Gotta leave some to fend for themselves.

Someone should find out if the guy Tonya Harding hired takes checks... and if so, does he hit people above the neck, or does he only target the knee?
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well good golly miss molly, TaL....why not e-mail Bertuzzi. Shocked
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:24 am

or Ohlund, he has experience swinging sticks at our players.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 7:36 pm

We don't play Tampa enough... with our luck Ohlund would be injured in the one game they play.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 1:46 pm

TaLoN knee injuries can keep you out for a year too

what we need is a guy of physical ilk who can SKATE, Booger is too damn slow to be effective, guys like Ott and Cooke do shit and run away from him, we need some big mean mother fucking pipe beating ape to catch them and beat their ass. as long as the guy is under say 800k i'll be ok with it
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 am

Boogaard's Future Still Uncertain

Boogaard's future with Wild still uncertain

Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? 3wild031410

By MICHAEL RUSSO, Star Tribune
Last update: June 16, 2010 - 7:45 PM

The next time the Boogeyman uses a hockey player's face as a punching bag, he might be doing so wearing a different uniform.

Derek Boogaard, the Wild's 6-8 enforcer, remains unsigned two weeks prior to free agency. And, although General Manager Chuck Fletcher says he's had "regular conversations going back three months" with Boogaard's agent, Ron Salcer, Fletcher has indicated that he's unlikely to re-sign Boogaard prior to July 1.

"We haven't closed the book either, and maybe we revisit it July 1 or 2 if we don't [re-sign him before]," Fletcher said. "But we have several areas we're looking to improve. It comes down to, 'How much cap space can you allocate to a certain area without compromising other areas?'"

Fletcher has been entrenched in trade talks heading into next weekend's draft in Los Angeles. He wants to maintain salary-cap flexibility so it doesn't inhibit any roster moves via trade or free agency.

"I respect Derek Boogaard and think he's probably the most feared enforcer in the game," Fletcher said. "But once you allocate those cap dollars, you don't have them anymore. So if it doesn't work out, it's not because we don't value him. There's a finite amount of money we can spend to improve our team."

Boogaard, 27, a fan favorite who's had 54 NHL fights and amassed 544 penalty minutes in five seasons, wants to return. But the reality is he can probably make more money over a longer term elsewhere.

"I'd love to come back and both sides are trying to work at getting something done," Boogaard said. "This is not about looking for a big buck. When I sign, they know what they're getting and I really believe I can be a better player.

"I started out here as a 19-year-old and worked my way up from the East Coast [Hockey League]. I don't know how many guys that have been with the organization have been down in the East Coast and worked their way up to the top. That means a lot to me."

The big debate about Boogaard is putting a price on his limited ice time and role. Coach Todd Richards values the intimidation Boogaard provides, but he hasn't scored since 2006.

Asked if it's a necessity to possess an "enforcer" in today's game, Fletcher said, "It's a necessity in today's game to have grit and toughness in your lineup. Philosophically, if we can get to a team that could be a little bit more of a four-line team and be a team that had more depth and speed and grit throughout the lineup, that's where we'd like to get to eventually."

That could conceivably cost Boogaard his Wild job. Fletcher noted "there are several gritty players available" in free agency.

If the Wild goes the team toughness route over traditional enforcers such as Boogaard and fellow free agent John Scott, some gritty free agents include Manny Malhotra, Ryan Johnson, Arron Asham, Adam Burish, Colby Armstrong and Jamal Mayers.

Fletcher said he'll likely meet with Salcer during next weekend's draft in Los Angeles.

"Maybe we'll make a trade, maybe we won't, which could impact what holes we need to fill and how much cap space we have," Fletcher said. "So your reality can change between now and July 1."

Sheppard re-signs
The Wild re-signed center James Sheppard to a one-year, $803,250 deal Wednesday. It was a question this offseason whether the Wild would even tender Sheppard a qualifying offer after the 22-year-old floundered instead of flourished (two goals, six points, 64 games) in Richards' up-tempo system last year.

"I'm looking for James to come back with more urgency and to make a bigger investment in his career," Fletcher said. "He's a young player. It's easy to write off young players, but in our situation, why would we? ... He's not going to be given anything. But by the same token, we're not going to walk away from him at this stage. The organization's put four years into him and why not put a fifth?"

The Wild tendered qualifying offers to restricted free agents Guillaume Latendresse, Josh Harding, Anton Khudobin, Nate Prosser and Matt Kassian. Morten Madsen and Jamie Fraser were let go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?   Wild Without an Enforcer This Season? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wild Without an Enforcer This Season?
Page 1 of 1