Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6

Go down 
+10
lolwat
shmiddy
wukwinn
Wild Fan #1
forthewild
timotheuzi
Dee Oh Cee
OldTimeHockey
TaLoN
00Xtremeninja
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
forthewild

forthewild

Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 1:36 am

That 3rd period was amazing to watch, Marty Havlat was worth every penny, the dude was amazing his vision and hands are sick. Koivu is the captain i know Havlat is putting the points up but watching Koivu he just has the poise.

I don't know about you guys I know i've been on the Shepp band wagon lately but he is looking solid, strong with the puck, and is taking shots, i would like to see him on the 2nd line between Nolan and Sykora, Belanger was looking a bit lot at times and hesitant, tho loved his 3rd period goal Very Happy.

God i love the new Wild.
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 1:46 am

TaLoN wrote:
Now, if only we can clone that 3rd period and overtime and get them to show up in the first and 2nd period like that!
Twins' hangover. Wink
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:14 am

Havlat and Sykora work better than any other winger combination this team can have. Put them on the same line, whether it be Koivu, Pouliot, Sheppard, or hell Belanger if he has chemistry with him. Worry about the other lines after. I thought Sheppard and Belanger played strong games down the middle behind Koivu.
Burns jumps the play as Richards wants him, but the guy has to play better positionally back in the defensive zone. His rush up ice did not lead to the goal, it was his running around in the defensive zone after getting back into the play. You could see at times in the 3rd Zanon was trying to tell Burns what he was supposed to be doing.
Brodziak seems to get more ice-time than he actually is listed, but on the first goal, he gives Whitney way too much time with the puck, and it lead to the first goal. He did redeem himself somewhat by sneaking Wisniewski into a penalty in OT.
Powerplay scored 3 goals, but I still think they could tweak it a little. Put Havlat or Sykora at the point on the top unit with Koivu and Brunette, along with Zidlicky or Johnsson. Burns forces too many plays when he is out there with the first unit, so save him for the 2nd unit, which will lack scorers.
Props to Scott for dropping the gloves with one of the best and not only holding his own, but knocking Parros down. It was a momentum-changing fight IMO.

The replays shown on the Ducks broadcast didn't really show Pouliot's penalty, was it a legit call? 5 minutes of ice time isn't going to make him any better......

And last but not least, no Bouchard = win! It may be the winning formula for this team moving forward Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cool Slovak

Cool Slovak

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 4:23 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6BLLnkm1H4

The fight is here. Boogie is a history.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 9:13 am

LW, the BP penalty was bullshit. He bumped into Giggy and Giggy sold it by falling down.

This new style felt odd to watch. It was exciting. For some reason during the 3rd period and overtime, I didn't get that feeling of urgency where in the old system it was like "shit, we're only going to get like 4 shots on goal." after seeing the 3rd period, I knew we would be able to handle it.

This is giving promise for an exciting season.

No Butch, I was surprised. Maybe this is a message to him.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
mplspug

mplspug

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 12:03 pm

I didn't see that coming. The play so far seems pretty sloppy, especially when it comes to positioning, the first 5 periods of this season. But in the 3rd they were relentless with the pressure and it was almost like watching the old Wild, except the old Wild was the Ducks playing with a lead.

All the NHL games early in the year always seem slow and sloppy, probably because of the short camp. So I suspect the team will get better, especially when for most of the guys this is a completely new system. I believe that Jacques system was why we always had hot starts under him, because we were sound and discipline and it took a while for the rest of the league to catch up. Before the 3rd I was resolved to say it was a year where we would be more concerned with how high a draft pick we would be getting next year. That 3rd filled me with the promise that this team can do something and it is only a matter of how good they play, where they are at as a team, once they get a month under their belt. I am now back to guarded optimism.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 12:21 pm

I felt the exact same way Pug. When they start clicking like they did in the 3rd, you can tell some big things are going to happen.

Once again, Backstrom looks like he will be able to hold it down just fine.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:31 pm

Butch not playing was due to him having headaches, which might explain why he played like crap the other day, he's out with no time table for return.

I'd like to see Benny get some ice time, tho I think he's going to have to prove it in practice.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Wild Fan #1 wrote:
Havlat is a smooth customer. Deft plays he makes.

I prefer him as a player to Gaborik. He's not as explosive nor does he have the release, but all around he's the sort of player that I prefer. It's nice watching he and Koivu play together.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm

forthewild wrote:
Butch not playing was due to him having headaches, which might explain why he played like crap the other day, he's out with no time table for return.

I'd like to see Benny get some ice time, tho I think he's going to have to prove it in practice.

He was playing with Sykora wasn't he? I'd call that ice time. The fact that he wasn't a factor was on him IMO.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 5:21 pm

shmiddy wrote:
forthewild wrote:

He was playing with Sykora wasn't he? I'd call that ice time. The fact that he wasn't a factor was on him IMO.

Benny was only listed as playing like 5-6 minutes, and that seemed right. 4th line time, with Scott and Brodziak. That being said, of the top-9 forwards last night there is really only one they could consider bumping to the 4th line, and that is Miettinen. I wouldn't be surprised to see Antti and his 2.3M bought out or buried in the minors next season if he continues to be an absolute non-factor, for now its not the end of the world keeping him up with the club.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 6:28 pm

I haven't re-watched the game from the television broadcast, but Miettinen earns his 2.3 million through his defensive play. There were times last night that he saved odd man rushes with the opportune poke-check or by taking the body or cutting off the angle. He looked more solid defensively than did Koivu, imo.

Miettinen *is* an over-paid third liner, though. That's what he excels at and should be relied upon to do that job. A 4th liner, he is not, but he is also not a second or first liner. That alone makes his salary a little hard to bear...
Back to top Go down
http://bozak911.blogspot.com/
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 8:44 pm

shmiddy wrote:
Wild Fan #1 wrote:

I prefer him as a player to Gaborik. He's not as explosive nor does he have the release, but all around he's the sort of player that I prefer. It's nice watching he and Koivu play together.
Except, Havlat is the type of player you need to compliment a player like Gaborik. Combined you can have absolute domination when they are on the ice.

That is why Risebrough failed.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 8:45 pm

shmiddy wrote:
forthewild wrote:

Bouchard being non-effective was purely due to Butch being pussy-assed Butch.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 11:00 pm

TaLoN wrote:
shmiddy wrote:
Wild Fan #1 wrote:

Except, Havlat is the type of player you need to compliment a player like Gaborik. Combined you can have absolute domination when they are on the ice.

The problem was you need a 3rd half-decent player on the line, because Demitra was a solid player with Gaboik, just not dynamic because Wes Walz and Todd Fedoruk saw significant time as the 3rd forward over the 2 years facepalm
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

The only comparisons one can make between Gabby and Havlat is the similar injury history.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 2:46 am

lolwat wrote:
The problem was you need a 3rd half-decent player on the line, because Demitra was a solid player with Gaboik, just not dynamic because Wes Walz and Todd Fedoruk saw significant time as the 3rd forward over the 2 years facepalm
Havlat is a MUCH better player than Demitra, and all you need then is Koivu centering and you have a GREAT line!
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 12:39 pm

TaLoN wrote:
lolwat wrote:
Havlat is a MUCH better player than Demitra, and all you need then is Koivu centering and you have a GREAT line!

Better? Yes. MUCH better? No. Demitra has yet to be put in a position to succeed since being traded by the Kings. If they both played 82 games and were in equal situations, the point difference would be less than 10. Then again neither can stay healthy and Demitra won't get the minutes Havlat will this year. Demo is still a 60+ point player, and Havlat has hit 70+ just once(last year).
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:05 pm

Actually Havlat isa better player he is younger and is around the age where he should start peaking.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:06 pm

What makes Havlat MUCH better than Demitra is his strength on the puck and his ultra fearlessness in the corners that allows him to make plays Demitra couldn't dream of.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:31 pm

lolwat wrote:
TaLoN wrote:
shmiddy wrote:
Wild Fan #1 wrote:

That is another area where Havlat more than a little better than Demitra, producing without star players. Demitra had Weight and Thackuk when he was at his best, didn't Havlat score 70+ last year on the second line with like sharp and ladd (I may be off here).
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:52 pm

timotheuzi wrote:
lolwat wrote:
TaLoN wrote:
shmiddy wrote:
Wild Fan #1 wrote:

That is another area where Havlat more than a little better than Demitra, producing without star players. Demitra had Weight and Thackuk when he was at his best, didn't Havlat score 70+ last year on the second line with like sharp and ladd (I may be off here).

Was Bolland and Ladd, but still, those are 2 young talented players. You look at Todd Fedoruk or Wes Walz and tell me you think they are anywhere close to a top-6 NHL forward. They were 4th line pluggers playing on the teams top line, which is why the team failed.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Demitra with Gaborik when they were at their best, take out Demitra and plug in Havlat and you double the production of the line guaranteed!

Demitra is only good in space, Havlat needs none to put up a crap load of points.
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 7:01 pm

TaLoN wrote:
Demitra with Gaborik when they were at their best, take out Demitra and plug in Havlat and you double the production of the line guaranteed!

Demitra is only good in space, Havlat needs none to put up a crap load of points.

Exactly...there really shouldn't be an argument here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6   Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Offical GDT For Opening Day Wild vs Ducks 10/6
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2