Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard

Go down 
+10
mplspug
Quisp
lolwat
Wildforcup10
cehnehdeh
Jagged Ice
00Xtremeninja
Marlowe Syn
shmiddy
TaLoN
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard Empty
PostSubject: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 3:42 am

From the Strib...

The pressure's on for the third-year center to improve his game -- dramatically. He has no points and just 13 shots.

By MICHAEL RUSSO, Star Tribune
Last update: November 7, 2009 - 12:26 AM

Doug Risebrough used to say that James Sheppard was the only member of the Wild's five-player "core" who had yet to experience "crisis."

Whether it was being ridden by former coach Jacques Lemaire, or being a defenseman forced to play forward, or being small in stature, the former Wild general manager felt that "core" players Mikko Koivu, Brent Burns, Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Nick Schultz had overcome early-career adversity that made them stronger as players.

Sheppard, on the other hand, hadn't gotten that -- let's call it, privilege -- yet.

"He hasn't really been pushed yet, but believe me, he will be pushed," Risebrough said before last season. "I'm comfortable to say he's going to come through it, but his growing pains need to still occur."

Fast-forward exactly one year, and Sheppard is experiencing "crisis," and yes, as Risebrough predicted, it's been painful.

The third-year, 21-year-old center is under enormous pressure to improve his game. In 14 games, he has no points, 13 shots, has won only 39.6 percent of his faceoffs and isn't winning enough battles to keep coach Todd Richards satisfied.

Yet Richards continues to go with Sheppard while scratching Benoit Pouliot the past three games. Pouliot might get a chance tonight, especially if injured Eric Belanger can't play.

But every facet of Sheppard's game continues to be scrutinized by the fans, media, coaches and -- in last Sunday's Star Tribune -- even by Tommy Thompson, the assistant GM responsible for drafting him ninth overall in 2006.

This, naturally, is sinking Sheppard's confidence. Just look at how tight he's gripping his stick lately. He's missing the net by several feet.

"You're looking at your numbers and people are reminding you of your numbers, and that starts to build up," Richards said. "But the one thing you've got to focus on is, 'How are you going to score goals?' The formula's really pretty easy, pretty basic. If you want to score, go to the front of the net, because that's where the puck is coming."

Kyle Brodziak proved that during Thursday's loss to Vancouver. Both of Brodziak's goals came from being in the right place (in front of the net) at the right time (when a rebound came). Richards said Sheppard must be more committed to going to the tough areas. He can't just get in on the forecheck. He's got to compete once he gets there and win confrontations.

Sheppard says he's going to follow Brodziak's lead and "get my nose dirty." But he's also trying to repair his game, knowing full well he's being lambasted from the outside.

"There's always pressure, but right now, not that it's building up, but it's something I have to take and kind of deal with," Sheppard said. "But as long as I talk to the right people and get advice from lots of different sources, I can work through it. If I'm just sitting here and pouting, it's not going to help."

Who are those "right people" and "different sources" from whom Sheppard is seeking advice?

"I'm taking anything I can," Sheppard said, laughing. "Teammates, coaches, family, old coaches ..."

Richards said the coaching staff will try to help Sheppard overcome his declining confidence. But he also said that Sheppard must "invest" better in himself.

Using a golf analogy, Richards asked how much confidence would somebody have in their driver on the fourth tee if they botched drives on the first, second and third tees?

"So how do you get your confidence?" Richards said. "You go to the practice range, pull out your driver and you hit 50 balls until you figure it out. You invest in that area of the game. It's no different in hockey.

"If you're struggling with confidence, it's not just going to happen. You invest in yourself. It might be staying out [on the ice] and doing extra [work] ... it might be in the weight room, it might be sitting and watching video.

"You're investing in yourself so now when you come to the rink, you're feeling better about yourself knowing that you put in the extra work, knowing that when you're lining up on a faceoff against a guy, you know, 'I did this 100 times this week. I'm good at this now.' "
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 10:55 am

he should know how to deal with this, he's been playing since he was 2
Back to top Go down
Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 1:11 pm

I'm thinking I was pretty off base with him. I was gassed when we drafted him. Thought he would be a solid #2 center. I remember Thompson saying he was a high character type of kid. Invisible rookie season? Fine. He shouldn't have been in the NHL yet any way. I let last season slide because of the infamous "sophomore slump" But now he is in a more Shep friendly hockey system. The new coach and GM giving him a clean slate. All the words from him during camp that he is going to show he is ready to light it up. Blah blah. Different year; same results from him. He's now a third year professional, so no more treating him with the kid gloves. Richards has to bench him until Shep can get his game de-bugged. From what he has shown it could be a long benching.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 3:01 pm

would much rather have Pouls in there than Shep. he is so damn frustrating to watch (and so are many others on the team) but for how much he talks he doesn't do dick to back it up.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Word from Russo, Sheppard is a healthy scratch tonight and Pouls will be in and playing center! 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard 599144

From Russo:

It looks like James Sheppard will be a healthy scratch tonight. He stayed on the ice a long time this morning, and this wasn't "investing" in himself like coach Todd Richards suggested. This was a bag skate. Benoit Pouliot did not get bagged, so it appears as if he'll be in and will play center as opposed to wing. Richards and Sheppard did have a nice long chat on the ice after the normal part of the morning skate prior to the bag with assistant Dave Barr.

Eric Belanger skated and declared himself ready to go. He said he's been given the green light from the medical staff. Kim Johnsson skated. He won't play tonight, but Richards said they're aiming for potentially Tuesday in Toronto, but if not there, definitely Thursday at Tampa Bay.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 4:45 pm

lol, ask a ye shall receive.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
Jagged Ice

Jagged Ice

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Awesome. Send the prick to Houston.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Jagged Ice wrote:
Awesome. Send the prick to Houston.

I've been hearing snippets like this since I was 3.
Back to top Go down
Jagged Ice

Jagged Ice

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 8:43 pm

And please don't educate me on the fact that he needs to clear waivers. I'm aware of that. Not directed at you Ceh. Just saying. It's like when I watch the Coyotes on local television and during tv time outs they have a segment called "Coyotes Hockey University" where they explain basic shit like what a two line pass is.
Back to top Go down
Wildforcup10

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 3:33 am

Bout time he gets scratched, and looky we win the game tonight!

Get rid of him, tell him to go learn the game in Houston. if he does not find his game there then dump him.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 4:10 am

Jagged Ice wrote:
And please don't educate me on the fact that he needs to clear waivers. I'm aware of that. Not directed at you Ceh. Just saying. It's like when I watch the Coyotes on local television and during tv time outs they have a segment called "Coyotes Hockey University" where they explain basic shit like what a two line pass is.

Well, placing him on waivers is only an option if they are willing to trade him for peanuts. You put him on waivers, and who has one of the top claims? The Leafs. Guaranteed they put a claim in for him, so you need to workout a deal with someone else or convince the Leafs someone else wants him, and get an asset from them. They aren't happy with their own 1st from that draft(Tlusty), but they won't deal him straight up because of how bad Sheppard has been.
Back to top Go down
Quisp

Quisp

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Trade Shep and BP for a cock ring.
Back to top Go down
mplspug

mplspug

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 9:49 am

Quisp wrote:
Trade Shep and BP for a cock ring.
Trade them for your belt?
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 3:32 pm

It sucks big time that DR kept Shepp up at such a young age, we can't send him down without him going through waivers and some other team would probably take him. He could be good someday, he is soooo young still. Some people aren't mature enough to handle something like the NHL at his age.

That said, he is quite unimpressive. Looks like another potential first round bust and the architect of our drafts is still employed 40oz
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 8:30 pm

timotheuzi wrote:
It sucks big time that DR kept Shepp up at such a young age, we can't send him down without him going through waivers and some other team would probably take him. He could be good someday, he is soooo young still. Some people aren't mature enough to handle something like the NHL at his age.

That said, he is quite unimpressive. Looks like another potential first round bust and the architect of our drafts is still employed 40oz
It's amazing... but Shep looks even more lost at Wing than he did at Center... ugh, there's no place to hide this guy unless it's the pressbox!
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 8:50 pm

The thing about shepp is he was rushed and now is just being put with shit on his lines and told to produce. Show me a guy other then the elete super stars like Ovie who can produce with Boogard on the line with em. The limited time i've seen with shepp is he doesn't get enough support around him to produce, i'm not saying this is true all the time but from the 10ish games i've seen he's trid to do too much alone.

With both Shepp and Pouls i wish Richards tried them with more talent around them, like for example do put Pouls on Koivu's line and given him at least 5 games, and shepp tried to have him center the 2 line with Havlat and Sykora when he was healthy for like 2 or 3 games. I have a feeling that we'd have seen more from both of those guys.

In any case shepp has 2A in last 2 games so lets hope thats a sign of him at least starting to figure shit out.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Sorry, I'm not going to buy that Shep isn't performing because he was pair up with crap... for 2 years he's been gifted talent on his lines for no reason, and for 2 years he never showed he ever deserved to stay there... yet he did.

Now this year, half the time he's had Nolan and Cal on his wings, and is finally off the center position because Ebbet is clearly better at it, yet still Kobasew and Koivu spent time on his other wing several shifts lastnight.

The problem is, Shep just has never belonged in the NHL yet in the first place. We can thank DR for that moronic call, as Fletch really has no choice in the matter due to waiver rules. I think ultimately Shep will fail here. He's got no confidence AT ALL, and all I see is someone who has looked over his head since day one.

Hopefully Fletch can find someone willing to take a flyer on Shep the way he found someone to take a flyer on Pouls.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 2:42 am

There is no reason why Shepp can't turn it around, i'm hopeful mostly because i just can't stomach we have that many 1st rounders that fail :/
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 2:46 am

That's why DR has been fired.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 2:55 am

Yeah, i'm hoping he at least can contribute points at wing, help build up his confidence and get him playing better, just a damn shame he's 21 so young and full of potential.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 3:08 am

Potential that he's not even remotely close to learning to crack yet either. Sounds like a journeyman in the making at best.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 3:37 am

I just hope that Leddy doesn't end up being a bust, he better keep his head up, when is he due back anyways?
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 4:16 am

forthewild wrote:
I just hope that Leddy doesn't end up being a bust, he better keep his head up, when is he due back anyways?
He's expected to miss a total of 6 weeks.
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:15 am

Guess who got an autographed mini-helmet from Shep today? bag
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:17 am

Was it the actual helmet he wore when he was 3? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard   'Crisis' time for Wild's Sheppard I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next