Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...

Go down 
+5
forthewild
TaLoN
00Xtremeninja
OldTimeHockey
KillerCarlson
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KillerCarlson

The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... Empty
PostSubject: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:08 pm

Just say No to Mike Modano

The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano
Written by Derek Felska
Tuesday, 13 July 2010 17:44

I have to admit, if there was a TV show that I must admit gave me a lot of good laughs as well as an opportunity to reminisce about my childhood it was VH1's I Love the 80's. I loved the commentary from the various comedians and stars as they examined all the parts of history, pop culture and music that made the 1980's year by year. Whether it was making fun of the fashion trends of those days, like Members Only jackets (which I've seen are coming back, yikes) or the great distraction that was the Rubik's Cube, or a hilarious re-examination of the cartoon series He-Man. It was a great show and at the time it was obvious it connected with Generation X'ers like myself as they made an additional version of I Love the 80's. What resonated with viewers like myself was how it captured the feelings of these events, people, music and fads and then added a little bit of current opinion as the viewers have a little more experience to look at these experiences with an enhanced perspective. I still remember hearing all the hype about the possible discovery some stash of loot from Chicago-based crime boss Al Capone, in his TV special The Mystery of Al Capone's Vault by famous investigative reporter Geraldo Rivera back in 1986. After a huge ad campaign hyping the event, and all the discussion about what possible treasures could be found a brick wall was knocked down revealing a dusy room with a broken chair and a few empty bottles. It was a hilarious let down, but not all wishes come true as Geraldo Rivera no doubt was hoping for.

People remember the past often with a level of nostalgia that usually softens the rough edges of the people they may at one time looked up to and at times even makes people overlook the questionable or offensive events. I think that is really what has happened with all the talk in Minnesota media circles regarding a possible return of former North Stars stud, Mike Modano. At 40 years old, the Livonia, Michigan native is not the spry, dynamic young mulleted wunderkind he was when the North Stars drafted him 1st Overall in 1988. (click on the link for the rest of the article)

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Hell no! Don't want Mo! Hell no! Don't want Mo! Hell no! Don't want Mo!

Kidding.

Wow...did that Modano thread on the official boards go down the tubes in record time or what?! Good grief! People are getting bent out of shape over nothing.

Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 pm

lol, hows that different from any other thread over there?
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:40 am

OldTimeHockey wrote:
Hell no! Don't want Mo! Hell no! Don't want Mo! Hell no! Don't want Mo!

Kidding.

Wow...did that Modano thread on the official boards go down the tubes in record time or what?! Good grief! People are getting bent out of shape over nothing.

We don't want Willie Mitchell back either please! I had more than enough of his panicked puck dumping around the boards than I will ever know what to do with! He will not help our D, as we will find ourselves trapped in our own zone more than ever!
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:41 am

I'd be willing to sign the petition to keep Willie off the roster.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:56 am

The Willie suggestion also feels like pure PR to try to fill the stands.... UGH! I sense CL is whispering ideas to Fletcher...
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 am

Who would run out to get tickets to see Willie? How would he fill seats? Boogie would fill seats before Willie.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 2:07 am

Because there are those who love nostalgia more than anything. Remember all those saying when Park was let go from Vancouver that the Wild should sign him?

It'd be those types of people.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:02 pm

i don't think Willie is a nostalgia, he does have toughenss*

* provided he's not scrambled beyond fucking repair. and he is willing to sign a decent 1 year deal.

I'm not saying Willie is the solution, but he does have some value on our team as a vet dman who can add some character and toughness. no i'm not the one holding a sign saying Bring WillieMo, just saying i'd like our D a ton more if we could ship Shultz and ink Willie* for something cheap like 2mil.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 5:44 pm

I would like our D a lot less with Willie in the fold. We have enough problems trying to get out of our own zone. Willie being here would just make that situation worse.
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:07 am

I can recall a few Canucks' fans planning the parade route when Willie was signed. Of course they did the same thing for Demitra. And this one time...in band camp....someone predicted Chouinard would score 30 goals in a Vancouver sweater.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:11 am

bring skoula back..............
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:23 am

Screw it! Let's get Darby back...Ronning back....Manny, Backstrom, Walzie, Park, Dupuis, Kuba, Johnson......the whole band.....and party like it was 2003. Then after we lose in the WCF's, Fletcher can actually build off of it rather than taking ten steps back by sitting on his hands like DR did.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:28 am

We're better off now than we were coming off the '03 conference finals run... even with Butch and Backstrom's albatross contracts.
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 am

TaLoN wrote:
We're better off now than we were coming off the '03 conference finals run... even with Butch and Backstrom's albatross contracts.
Just think of how pretty we'd be sitting if Butch could actually look at a puck without getting dizzy. Wink
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:37 am

Or even better we'd be sitting if he actually looked at the slot without getting dizzy. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 am

Lol I like the sig OTH!
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 7:43 pm

Mike Babcock predicted that it will be "inevitable" that Modano will be a Red Wing this year! YAY! I have a reason to hate the Red Wings!

Obviously, hate is easy to dish out to any team that has that puke in their lineup... Wink

Babcock's prediction...

Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock is optimistic that veteran centre Mike Modano will sign with his hockey team.

Modano is an unrestricted free agent after spending his entire 20-year career in the Dallas Stars organization (he was originally drafted as a Minnesota North Star) and is reportedly being courted by the Red Wings, Minnesota and San Jose.

Babcock met with Modano earlier this week and said he has a good feeling about the 40-year-old.

“This is a no brainer for Mike Modano — the highest scoring American player of all time to come back to your hometown, play in Hockeytown," Babcock told NHL.com Friday.

Modano is a native of nearby Lovonia, Mich.

"It’s not about the cash, it’s about the legacy and the fit,” Babcock said. “He’ll fit and he’ll be excited to play. I look forward to him signing. I think that’s inevitable. I think that’s what is going to happen."
Back to top Go down
Kevin W
Admin
Kevin W

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 9:40 am

And he officially signs with Detroit as expected.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nhl/news/story?id=5432900
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 10:20 am

sweet, by the all star break half og detroits roster will be on the DL due to broken hips.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Good, a reason to hate Detroit!
Back to top Go down
Kevin W
Admin
Kevin W

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:49 pm

It took signing Modano to finally hate Detroit? Am I missing the sarcasm there? please tell me yeah...
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:13 pm

i would assume with Talon that there is some big sarcasm there.
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 12:29 am

Found this on the HFBoards.

Quote :
"I think it was more so on my wife’s radar than anything,'' Modano said. "She wanted me to go play, and especially in Detroit to kind of shove it up everybody’s ... you know.

"That was her precise words and she felt it was a great opportunity to do that in Detroit and loved the Red Wings and knew it was one of our rivals. She felt going in there and having the chance to play with good players was a real good opportunity.’’

Well.......that'll piss off a lot of Stars fans. His wife has gotten him in trouble before. Apparently she's a ho with a very low IQ. Yep, they're made for eachother. Wink But he STILL hasn't learned to keep his mouth shut. She's guilty for saying it, but he's a moron for repeating it to the media. How dumb can a person be? Fans who gave him that long ovation and cried will LOVE hearing these latest comments. When Detroit heads to Dallas, heads are gonna roll.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 am

who cares, Det is really the only option they have a chance to win and he doesn't have to be the guy.

whats our last home game of the season? is it Det?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...   The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Wild should "just say no" to Mike Modano...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next