Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!

Go down 
+3
forthewild
Dee Oh Cee
TaLoN
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 pm

On grounds that it circumvents the Salary cap!

NHL REJECTS KOVALCHUK CONTRACT FOR SALARY CAP CIRCUMVENTION

The NHL has rejected Ilya Kovalchuk's 17-year, $102 million contract with the New Jersey Devils on the grounds that it circumvents the NHL's salary cap.

Kovalchuk was slated to earn $12 million over the first two seasons, $57.5 million in total for the following five seasons, $10.5 million in the 2017-18 season, $8.5 million for the 2018-19 season, $6.5 million in 2019-20, $3.5 million in 2020-21 and $3.5 million over the last six seasons of the deal.

The 27-year-old rejected a $101 million, 12-year extension from the Atlanta Thrashers before being dealt to the Devils in February.

Kovalchuk had 41 goals and 44 assists last season, including 10 goals and 17 assists with the Devils.

BEST NEWS ALL DAY!!!!! marioban celebrate beer NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! 599144 NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! 749226
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:07 pm

thankyousign
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Awwww, Pooor Lou is soooo upset he can't have his Kovalchuk!

NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! BooHoo-Nipple
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:30 pm

wow I just threw up thanks a lot Talon Razz
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:12 pm

Hey, anytime! Wink
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 3:18 am

this was one of the smartest moves NHL did, this contract was fucking stupid as shit.

i still think lou will sign him, watch this he signs a 16 year deal
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 5:25 am

WOW! Didnt see THAT coming! Can't believe the NHL showed some BALLS for a change! Good on them!
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 5:27 am

They should've started doing that much sooner than they did. Hossa, Zetterberg, Luongo... they all have contracts that do the same thing.

Just not to the same extreme.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 5:29 am

TaLoN wrote:
They should've started doing that much sooner than they did. Hossa, Zetterberg, Luongo... they all have contracts that do the same thing.

To be fair Luongo DOES make more than league minimum over the last 5 years of his contract.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 5:29 am

cehnehdeh wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

To be fair Luongo DOES make more than league minimum over the last 5 years of his contract.
Like I said, just not to the same extreme.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 5:33 am

TaLoN wrote:
cehnehdeh wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

Like I said, just not to the same extreme.

For sure. This contract is MUCH more blatant than the Luongo contract...even though similar in term. Luongo still looks like an attractive option 7-10 years from noww:

http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id=a49d5565-3e9e-4c39-ac85-6c328be5e1d1
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:18 am

Prediction:

1. NHLPA files grievance.

2. Arbitrator approves the contract. (Because even though the Devils had an airplane write out a message in the sky that exclaimed, "We're doing this to get around the cap!", it still isn't against the league rules.

3. NHL approves the contract due to arbitrator's decision, and Bettman says, "Hey. At least we tried."

I think it's a set-up. Will the NHL win the case if no rules were broken? Bettman has got to be feeling the heat from everyone else living outside of New Jersey. By stepping in and rejecting it (knowing that it'll be approved by "someone else" and not himself) he'll appear to be the "good guy trying to do the right thing." Even though we still know he's stupid and the league created the dang loophole, he probably thinks that doing this will get some people off his back. In simpler terms: DAMAGE CONTROL!

Make sense?
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 8:29 am

Actually, there is a grey area in the CBA that says contracts can be rejected if they circumvent the salary cap. I don't have a link to it, but the link was posted on the HFboards, so it does exist.

There is no way the NHLPA would win in the grievance as there is no way to argue that the last 6years of the deal are legit.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:27 am

TaLoN wrote:
Actually, there is a grey area in the CBA that says contracts can be rejected if they circumvent the salary cap. I don't have a link to it, but the link was posted on the HFboards, so it does exist.

There is no way the NHLPA would win in the grievance as there is no way to argue that the last 6years of the deal are legit.
In a courtroom, the NHL can't prove that kovy won't play until he is 44 and the devils will point to Chelios and players like him. NHL can't prove anything so they can't win this one. Precedence was set prior to this as well. 15 year DiPietro, Luongo, etc.

Their piss poor legal wording regarding circumventing the cap is worthless is court. Have you read it? It is so retarded and vague it probably almost counts for nothing IMO. NHL needs some new lawyers who put numbers in financial documents instead of vague words.

I don't feel this contract is right but, at least I like the Devils, unlike the Canucks or Flyers who should've been rejected in the same way.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 1:19 pm

I also don't think the NHLPA wants to get in on this. If New Jersey isn't going to fight the NHL's decision, and Kovalchuk doesn't pitch a fit...

/shrug
Back to top Go down
http://bozak911.blogspot.com/
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 1:54 pm

this deal is shit, and there is no way a guy who is asking for 10 fucking mil a year is going to play for 600k really? Chelli loved the game so much so he was willing to go to the AHL to earn a spot, Kovi loves money and 600k isn't going to make him care enough to jack off in the locer room much less strap some skates on.

the NHL and NHLPA need to avoid this coming to fruition, this deal will fuck over the NHL. if there is another lock out, do you think the fans will come back again? we've had so much good momentum this is going to undue all that.

This deal needs to die, Kovi needs to either take less money, there is no way in hell someone who won't play D and has had no playoff success should be getting anywhere near 10mil. Honestly in the next CBA add a max contract length of like 6-7 years and do away with this.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!   NHL REJECTS  Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NHL REJECTS Devil's Deal with Kovie!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1