Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Penn State gets hockey

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

Penn State gets hockey Empty
PostSubject: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 7:14 pm

it would make sense for the rodents to go to a Big 10 hockey division financially but damn do i wish they would stay in the WCHA just something magical about fighting SCSU,UND and Wisconsin don't think the big 10 would be the same
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Well, Wisconsin would likely move to the big 10 as well, so that's not an issue. Also, there's enough games available where they could play the big rivals from the WCHA in the non-conference schedule if it were to happen.

The money available if a Big 10 hockey league existed would make the move a no-brainer.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Here's more speculation...

Quote :
Gopher men’s hockey coach Don Lucia told the Duluth News Tribune on Tuesday that he did not think Penn State would add a men’s division-one team without the assurance that it would be playing other Big Ten schools.

In an interview with the Daily, Wisconsin men’s coach Mike Eaves said, “My understanding [is that] the gentleman giving the money is only giving the money if there’s a Big Ten league coming together.”

Possibly in preparation for the shake up, the WCHA added Bemidji State and Denver to the conference this year.

Obviously an error at the end of that one, as Denver has been there for quite some time, but Nebraska-Omaha is the other to join...

Quote :
Various sources, including WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod, have said the Big Ten could start playing games in four years. At that time, Minnesota and Wisconsin would cut ties with the WCHA and Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State would leave the CCHA.

Penn State's plunge into Division I hockey is the key to this scenario. With the Nittany Lions, the Big Ten would start with at least six teams, the minimum needed to have a viable conference schedule, to play for a conference title and to secure an automatic bid for its playoff champion to the NCAA tournament.

Last edited by TaLoN on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:38 pm

that dude needs to know Denver has been in the conference for a while, think he meant omaha-nebraska

also i know that they can play but its just not as magical seeing UND and UofM and Wisconsin trying to fight for the top spot. what about the frozen 5 we have in the WCHA, while i know that the money will be there and UofM is leaving i just don't like it
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:41 pm

The FINAL 5 will still be there, don't see why it wouldn't. Only Minnesota and Wisconsin would be leaving the WCHA.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:56 pm

i know it will still be there but with out two strong programs its not the same, there is less magic, and doesn't feel the same. I am speaking from my point of view here the WCHA won't be nearly as interesting.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:06 pm

But the quality of competition on a week to week basis for the Gophers would increase exponentially, which makes recruiting easier.

Who do you think a young incoming D-1 player wants to face off against... Nebraska-Omaha and Michigan Tech or Michigan and Michigan State?

The Gophers would get the tougher Big Ten schdule, while also being able to play UND and SCSU each year, without having to fly off to Alaska to play the dregs of College hockey.

Also, ok... the Final 5 wouldn't be as interesting to you, as you care more for the Gophers etc... but the Big Ten title would mean much much more! I guarantee you'd find that extremely interesting whether you are able to be there each year or not. You don't get to the Stanley Cup playoffs each year, but it's still extremely interesting right? That's because of the quality of play! The Big Ten title would have that going for it more so than any other conference in College Hockey until the National Tournament of course.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:27 pm

true, i'm just saying its going to take a while to adjust not being part of WCHA any more.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Also, the Gophers would benefit greatly in terms of the Big Ten Network as well! More exposure!
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:44 pm

i dunno how i feel about it, i am torn really.

I love the history of the WCHA, but it would be fun to play and watch other Big 10 schools build up their own rivalries. Would for sure crossover to Michigan a lot more.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:51 pm

But there's the real beauty of it. With a small 6 team conference... say each team plays a total of 4 times each, that leaves a whopping 14 non-conference games! EASY to maintain the historical rivalries established.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 10:21 pm

the only problem with the new big 10 is going to be Penn State they will suck dick for like 10 years.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Someone has to suck in every conference right? Ohio St. isn't exactly a great team either. Would you rather have a MASSIVE school that can bring money backing it being the cellar dweller or would you rather that be a tiny school that brings absolutely nothing to the table of the conference?

I for one would rather have the Gophers in a conference where all teams can pull their weight.

Even with Penn St. sucking, the Gophers strength of schedule would shoot through the roof adding more games vs Michigan and Michigan St., keeping the games vs Wisconsin, and being able to pick their rivals for the 14 non-conference games.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 10:28 pm

Badgers take...

Penn State entry paves way for Big Ten hockey conference

The Big Ten Conference is about to become an organized force in the world of men’s college hockey.

Officials at Penn State have scheduled a press conference Friday to announce the addition of men’s hockey and a comparable women’s program, presumably hockey, to the school’s 27-sport manifest.

That means there will be six Big Ten schools sponsoring men’s hockey — the minimum needed to be sanctioned by the NCAA — giving way to the formation of a league that will have seismic impact on the college landscape.

Penn State will soon join Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin — currently members of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association — as well as Michigan, Michigan and Ohio State — now members of the Central College Hockey Association — in creating an alliance of the largest, wealthiest and most marketable programs in NCAA Division I.

It seems that a Big Ten men’s hockey league is inevitable.

“I don’t know the logistics — how long it takes to get out of a league, all of that — but I sense that we will move in that direction,” UW athletic director Barry Alvarez said Thursday.

Carefully measuring his words, Alvarez said more will be known Friday when Penn State officials make a “significant gift and facility announcement” and next month when he said the matter will be on the agenda at the Big Ten meetings.

“There’s going to be Big Ten hockey,” assured a source with intimate knowledge of the process, adding that 2014-15 is the target point for introducing the new league although he said “it could happen sooner than that.”

Billionaire Terry Pegula, a Penn State alumnus and lead donor for the initiative, apparently was adamant about the formation of a Big Ten league once the Nittany Lions fully upgraded their men’s hockey program from the club level.

Pergula reportedly plans to underwrite a major portion of the hockey project in Happy Valley, including a $75 million campus arena and scholarships for the two new programs.

Another source said Penn State could make its Division I debut as early as 2012-13. The arena, which is expected to seat 6,000 to 8,000, is targeted for completion in September of 2013.

When the 2010-11 season begins next month, there will be five Division I leagues in operation. In addition to the WCHA and CCHA, there is Atlantic Hockey, the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference and the Hockey East Association.

The WCHA, currently a 12-team league that stretches from Michigan to Alaska, and the CCHA, which has 11 members, would be affected most by the advent of a Big Ten men’s hockey league.

Minnesota is seen as a flagship entity of the WCHA in part because its link to four other state schools in the league: Bemidji State, Minnesota-Duluth, Minnesota State-Mankato and St. Cloud State.

UW, meanwhile, has led the NCAA in attendance every season since the 15,237-seat Kohl Center opened for hockey in 1998.

When news of Penn State’s initiative broke earlier this month, CCHA commissioner Tom Anastos made it known that his Midwest-based league would love to accommodate the Nittany Lions. Instead, the CCHA figures to soon lose three of its most well-known programs.

During WCHA meetings held last week in Minneapolis, UW men’s coach Mike Eaves said there was “some angst” among his peers regarding the topic of a Big Ten presence in college hockey.

Eaves declined to get into specifics of what WCHA officials discussed about future developments. League commissioner Bruce McLeod said he’s aware of the situation at Penn State, but is waiting to hear more details Friday before offering his thoughts.

“There are a whole bunch of possibilities,” Eaves said. “I think we’re going to find out together what’s going to happen.”

With Penn State soon to be on board as the 59th Division I program, Alvarez was asked what road blocks stood in the way of the Big Ten creating a new college hockey brand.

“I don’t know,” he said. “You need six teams in the league. We will have six. They do govern us, the Big Ten. I don’t anticipate much of a hurdle other than getting out of your respective conferences.”

Alvarez said Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has spoken in the past of making men’s hockey a programming staple on the Big Ten Network. That notion will take a huge step forward Friday.

“We’ve talked about a Big Ten Conference for hockey,” Alvarez said. “I think that would be very appealing.”
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 11:17 pm

its happening no way its going to be stopped with all that money on the table i wonder if any other schools will get their programs updated, you have to think with recent success of the Black Hawks either Illinois or NW try to get on board in D1.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Well, what happens when the Big Ten decides to expand again and Notre Dame joins? They already have a D-1 team... Most people think that ND joining the Big Ten within the next 5yrs is also inevitible.

I know Iowa and Illinois are the closest of the current Big Ten schools to having a club team make the transition. Indiana also has a club team on the verge themselves, but financially can't afford to build a bigger facility needed to make the jump.

It's possible in a decade or so there could be 10 Big Ten D-1 teams. Wink
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 5:08 pm

lol, so then we could dub ourselves The Original 6 of Big 10 hockey
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 6:59 pm

00Xtremeninja wrote:
lol, so then we could dub ourselves The Original 6 of Big 10 hockey
Penn State gets hockey Win_button
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:15 pm

marioban
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penn State gets hockey   Penn State gets hockey I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Penn State gets hockey
Page 1 of 1