Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System

Go down 
+4
forthewild
Fargocase
Jarick
TaLoN
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System Empty
PostSubject: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:12 am

From the Strib...

Johnsson right at home in Wild system

Wild defenseman Kim Johnsson, who never lets work interfere with his home life, should benefit from coach Todd Richards' game plan.

By MICHAEL RUSSO, Star Tribune
Last update: September 25, 2009 - 11:01 PM

CHICAGO - As a 30-something on a team full of 20-somethings, Kim Johnsson takes his share of abuse.

There's no denying the amount of work the Wild defenseman puts in. But when Johnsson, 33, leaves the ice or the gym, teammates don't need a stopwatch to time how long it takes him to be in his car.

Brent Burns: "He's already on 35E."

Nick Schultz: "Yeah, the wife's calling. He's got an appointment at the zoo right now with his kids."

Brent Burns: "No, spring cleaning's almost over, so he's still got to clean out the garage before it gets chilly. Plus, it's fall. The leaves are coming, so he's got to sweep the porch."

Nick Schultz: "No, he mowed the lawn and raked the leaves before he got here, right after he got the coffee ready and served the wife breakfast in bed and took the kids to school."

As Schultz says, laughing, "Yohnny comes across as Super Dad."

Johnsson's life consists of two different worlds, and he prefers them not colliding.

Johnsson and his wife, Jeanette, have two daughters, Filippa, 6, and Felicia, 3, and "when I'm not here, I'm with my kids," Johnsson says.

"When you get older, you realize why you play and you realize the career is very, very short. I go home to my kids, and there's no time to think about bad games and good games because you're just dad."

Johnsson, the last pick in the 1994 draft (286th overall by the New York Rangers), so quietly goes about his business, it's astonishing this is already his fourth season in Minnesota. In 2006, following four seasons with Philadelphia after being acquired in the Eric Lindros deal, Johnsson signed a four-year, $19.4 million contract with the Wild.

That price tag has created his share of critics. With a salary-cap hit of $4.85 million (he's the Wild's second-highest paid player behind Niklas Backstrom this season at $5.3 million), Johnsson was expected to generate oodles of points from the back end.

But after averaging 40.7 points from 2001 to '04 with the Flyers, Johnsson's numbers decreased in Jacques Lemaire's defensive system. He's averaged 24.3 points a season in three years in Minnesota.

New coach Todd Richards' system is a skating system that requires the defensemen to join the attack, which should suit Johnsson better.

"This is basically how we played in Philly," Johnsson said.

While Johnsson hasn't scored as much as expected, he still has immense value. Anybody who watched the Wild before Johnsson got here knows how hard it was for the Wild to get out of its defensive zone. The team has become a solid transition team, and that has a lot to do with Johnsson, one of the NHL's smoothest skaters.

Johnsson has led the Wild in ice time (23 minutes, 54 seconds a game) the past three seasons.

"The thing that's amazing is we barely see the guy before camp, and he comes on the ice and he's like the best skater for us," Schultz said. "He's just a natural, and so patient with the puck."

A native of Malmo, Sweden, Johnsson's ability to skate the puck out of trouble stems from twice-a-day practices as a kid.

"I had a coach in Sweden, Peo Larsson, who told me, 'When you get the puck, just take three quick strides and you'll be fine,'" Johnsson said. "I said, 'Oh yeah, I'll try that,' and it worked. It was that simple. It just takes one guy to tell you something like that, and it clicks."

Johnsson is one of nine Wild players, including Marek Zidlicky, Owen Nolan, Eric Belanger and Derek Boogaard, who can become unrestricted free agents next summer.

The Wild, under its previous management, had a history of allowing free agents to walk for no compensation.

GM Chuck Fletcher says his philosophy will be to lock up players early if they fit into the future, but because this is his first season, he first wants to evaluate the team.

"There will be a period of time in the early portion of everyone getting to know each other," Fletcher said. "Then, when there's a higher level of trust, it'll be a lot easier to talk about contracts. But Kim's a terrific player. He plays as many minutes as any defenseman in the league and is a guy who can be used in every situation."

Johnsson agreed it makes little sense to discuss an extension until both sides get to know each other.

"But this is a tremendous place to play," Johnsson said. "Everybody watches hockey. Everybody plays hockey."

For Johnsson to stay, however, he'll undoubtedly have to take a pay cut. Asked if he'd consider that, Johnsson said, "If it comes up, I'll think about it then. Like I said, I really like it here. My family loves it here.

"My kids," he added, chuckling, "they think they were born here."
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:30 am

From Russo...

Chicago Blackhawks 4, Wild 3; Havlat great in return; Johnsson leaves with injury
Posted on September 25th, 2009 – 10:55 PM
By Michael Russo

It’s 10:56 at night, and the Blackhawks are on their way to the airport for their flight to Zurich. I am envious. They’re due in at 2:45 p.m. local time Saturday, and have practice scheduled for 5:30 p.m. They’ll play an exhibition game, then open the regular season with two games against the storied Florida Panthers.

Well, maybe not storied. But I used to write a lot of stories about ‘em.

Onto tonight. If you glanced at my live blog tonight, you probably are aware the Wild showed the best signs of mastering Todd Richards’ system in a well-played first period. And then the Wild came out for the second period, and played its worst period of the preseason. The way Richards saw it, the Wild took unnecessary risks, got too cute (especially the defensemen) and spent the entire period in its own end.

The Wild barely sniffed the offensive zone in the second. Ironically, after its only two good shifts of the period, the team gave up the go-ahead goal on the ensuing shift. But Marty Havlat, playing in Chicago for the first time since leaving as a free agent, scored the tying goal when his wrister deflected off Duncan Keith’s stick and in.

The Havlat goal was nothing compared to a series of great plays Havlat made en route to James Sheppard’s first goal. I don’t want to take anything away from Sheppard because it was a great goal by him. But Havlat made a perfect dump for Antti Miettinen, and then was awesome behind the net to set up Sheppard. Shep by the way won 9 of 16 draws after winning 9 of 14 against St. Louis. Maybe the tutoring with “Cowboy” is working.

The Wild played an OK third, and wound up succombing.

Richards said he’s using St. Louis and Chicago as a measuring stick, and the Wild has a lot of work to do. He wants the Wild to take a page out of the Blackhawks’ book. Chicago’s forwards pursue the puck relentlessly, Richards said, while the Wild continues to have one forward go and two hang back — a staple of yesteryear, he says.

He said he will work on this bigtime the next three days before Tuesday’s preseason finale in Philadelphia, a game in which the Wild hopes to have a lot of injured guys back, including Mikko Koivu and maybe Andrew Brunette.

Proving the Michael Russo jinx yet again, I did a Kim Johnsson feature for Saturday’s paper, and he left the third period early tonight with what looked like the same contagious leg problem the others have. Richards thought it wasn’t serious — just a product of Johnsson playing back-to-back for the first time. So maybe it was a cramp and not a groiner.

Rosters have to be set by 2 p.m. Wednesday.

The final cuts will be interesting. The Wild is $797,000 of the $56.8 million cap with 24 players, one more than they’re allowed. But Derek Boogaard probably starts the season on IR to get to 23, but that doesn’t solve the cap problems.

So…

Do you send Craig Weller to the minors? I think that’s a possibility. He’d still make his 600K in the minors, but that comes off the cap. Do you send Colton Gillies to the minors? I’ve liked his camp, but that $1 million-plus cap hit could make him a casualty, plus the fact if you send him down to develop some more, he’d get big minutes and responsibilities in Houston — something that won’t happen here.

That could create two spots. Do they sign Andy Hilbert, an experienced NHLer who had a couple hiccups tonight but absolutely worked his tail off? Do they put John Scott at wing (where he didn’t look comfortable tonight) and keep Jaime Sifers? Or do they send Scott down and keep Sifers?

I just have this feeling Sifers stays. His cap hit is only $650,000 and he would be a waiver risk.

It should be an interesting couple days because cuts are coming. So far Nathan Smith is still here, and he’s got some NHL experience. Danny Irmen and Robbie Earl are on waivers, so they could be goners. Matt Kassian didn’t make the trip, which might say something, and he doesn’t require waivers to send him down. I’d assume Marco Scandella’s got a flight to Quebec on the horizon. But he should be a good one.

Also, Fletcher’s making calls again asking other GM’s, OK, camp’s almost over, what do you need, what do you have to give up?

OK, talk to you after practice Saturday. I’ll also post a Johnsson Extra on Saturday — unless I ended his season with that article.

UPDATE: 11:30 pm update. Just informed Richards will give team a day off Saturday, so I’ll update blog sometime in the afternoon or if there’s news.
Back to top Go down
Jarick

Jarick

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:29 am

Makes me wish we could sign him to a 5 year deal.
Back to top Go down
Fargocase

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 1:19 pm

I hope they keep him.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Jarick wrote:
Makes me wish we could sign him to a 5 year deal.

a 4 year deal at the right price 3.5-4 cap hit would be amazing, assuming that he does play well and improves. That would give younger guys like Cuma and Leddy time to develop further and not be rushed, also if we dont get him we could always hope Martin doesn't sign with NJ and we snag him with a hommer discount.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 4:47 pm

I think he'll get right around $4.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 4:57 pm

TaLoN wrote:

4 years, 16M would be great for the Wild. But as it says, CF needs to evaluate the players before handing out deals, I expect him to lock-up Johnsson fairly quick if he continues to play at the level he has been(and likely will put up more points with a more aggressive approach).
Back to top Go down
Quisp

Quisp

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:18 pm

What did all these guys do in the off season? Play fucking video games? You can't play in professional sports anymore without making it a full time job! Workout and stay in shape for petes sake.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:23 pm

TaLoN wrote:

$4 seems a little low, IMO...I'm thinking somewhere around $4 million sounds about right. Razz
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 7:49 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

$4 seems a little low, IMO...I'm thinking somewhere around $4 million sounds about right. Razz
Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System Smartass-4686
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:55 pm

lolwat wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

4 years, 16M would be great for the Wild. But as it says, CF needs to evaluate the players before handing out deals, I expect him to lock-up Johnsson fairly quick if he continues to play at the level he has been(and likely will put up more points with a more aggressive approach).
I agree here. If Johnsson continues to play as he has (and as you said, hopefully better), I would not object whatsoever to a 4yr/$16M deal. It would provide great stability to the D corps which will be going through changes again next season.

I fully expect Zidlicky to be gone after the season. He provides much of the attacking mentality that Richards seems to want, but defensively he leaves a lot to be desired, so unless he turns that around (highly unlikely IMO) he's gone.

Therefore, if we re-signed Johnsson, we'd have Johnsson, Schultz, Burns, and Zanon as the core already locked up. This opens a spot for Cuma to step in and a spot for a free agent pickup to further solidify the slot, unless one of the other prospects dramatically steps up and can fill the void.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:14 pm

There are a few issues i see with Johnsson's deal, and mind you i've been on trade him bandwagon but i would not object to a good deal for the wild.
1) has a family would most likely want a longer deal he'll be 34 he can go till he's 40 might be seeking 6ish year deal which is too much for the Wild to take on.
2) if he steps up in his numbers he might want more money if we are trying to offer him a 4 year deal,

with Fletcher taking time to evaluate before signing Jphnsson might get great numbers and have more bargaining position on his side. To me if he's not signed by the deadline he's shipped, i don't want to wait till after the season for him to decide because then someone might flash him some cash, I don't mind keeping him i'll be all for it if he plays well but it has to be good year/money wise.
Back to top Go down
Jarick

Jarick

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Hey if he wants a 5-year front loaded deal I'm cool with that. He's not 35 yet, so he can "retire" early if he wants.

I do think Fletcher will give all the players until Jan 1 to see how they fit in with the future, but I would imagine Johnsson plays very well and hopefully he's extended.
Back to top Go down
Fargocase

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:45 pm

The Wild can sign Johnsson long term and still have plenty of room for the kids:

1. Burns
2. Johnsson
3. Schultz
4. Zanon (I'm on a realy chitty, slow computer, how many years is his contract?)

That still leaves two spots for Cuma and Liddy, and Liddy is probably at least two years away.

Zidlicky is a waste of money. His good PP numbers do not make up for his large price tag and horrible D IMO - let him go!
Back to top Go down
Jarick

Jarick

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:48 pm

I agree Fargo, those top four would do nicely. Bring in Cuma and Leddy slowly when they're ready, no rush to start the UFA clock.

Zanon is UFA in 2013.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:03 am

By all accounts....Johnsson didn't look AT ALL at home last night...in fact, he looked lost.
Back to top Go down
Jarick

Jarick

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:49 am

Russo was speculating he might be injured or ill...
Back to top Go down
Fargocase

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 1:04 pm

I agree with what Richards said in the paper - he's not worried, Johnsson will do fine. One so-so preseason game - meh, who cares?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System   Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Johnsson Right at Home in Wild System
Page 1 of 1