Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

*Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit

Go down 
+4
00Xtremeninja
mplspug
Toewser
cehnehdeh
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

*Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit Empty
PostSubject: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Sources tell TSN that Boston forward Marc Savard has agreed with the Bruins on a seven-year contract extension with an annual cap hit of around $4.2 million per year.

Savard, 32, recently returned from a broken foot and has four goals and six assists in 11 games this season. The two-time All-Star is coming off an 88-point campaign in which he led the Bruins in scoring.

Savard is in the final season of a four-year contract that pays him $5 million annually. He was eligible to become an unresticted free agent after this season.

He was drafted in the fourth round by the New York Rangers in the 1995 draft. Savard played parts of two seasons for the Rangers, and also skated for the Calgary Flames and Atlanta Thrashers before signing with the Bruins on July 1, 2006.

One of the top set-up men in the league, Savard has averaged 67 assists and almost 90 points per year over the last four seasons.

Good deal for both sides. I'd LOVE to know how front loaded it is though.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 3:10 pm

cehnehdeh wrote:

Good deal for both sides. I'd LOVE to know how front loaded it is though.

Absolute steal, especially in the short-term. Dude is legit as they come, and IMO is the number two playmaker in the league.

As far as the contract's loading of salary, I haven't looked that hard, but Bob McKenzie, when asked if it was front loaded, tweeted this:

Quote :
PUT IT THIS WAY, LUCIC WILL HAVE TO HELP SAVARD CARRY OUT THE $$$ IN THE FIRST FOUR YEARS :-) OR SO I HEAR
Back to top Go down
mplspug

mplspug

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Why did I think he was younger than 32?
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 3:20 pm

i thought that too, i didn't know he was that age.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
mplspug

mplspug

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 4:12 pm

I think it is because he looks like he is 12 years old.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 4:15 pm

The lockout probably helped people forget about him playing in Calgary and New York. And after that, he was in Atlanta, where the media coverage isn't so good. Just a guess though.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Toewser wrote:
The lockout probably helped people forget about him playing in Calgary and New York. And after that, he was in Atlanta, where the media coverage isn't so good. Just a guess though.

That or those 2 are just a couple of fairweather, "Wild only" fanboys!
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 4:41 pm

He played for Calgary, New York and Atlanta?!?

I had no idea....I think he's a great player though but I've only recently started following Boston....good signing.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 8:03 pm

Steal of a price. He could of got 30+ over 5 years from the Leafs and probably a couple other teams in the offseason.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 11:15 pm

Per McKenzie:

Quote :
$7M, $7M, $6.5M, $5M, $1.5M, $525K, $525K.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 12:27 am

Not a bad cap hit, i smell this type of deal is going to get fished out in the next cba.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 2:20 pm

forthewild wrote:
Not a bad cap hit, i smell this type of deal is going to get fished out in the next cba.

Why would it? It's beneficial to both the players and the GMs.
Back to top Go down
http://bozak911.blogspot.com/
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 2:26 pm

sqare wrote:
forthewild wrote:

Because it circumvents what the cap is intended for. Deals like Hossa and Lou allow teams to get elete players for a far smaller cap hit which isn't illegal now but is not what NHL wants. At least its what TSN has been saying at times.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 3:03 pm

forthewild wrote:
sqare wrote:
forthewild wrote:

Because it circumvents what the cap is intended for. Deals like Hossa and Lou allow teams to get elete players for a far smaller cap hit which isn't illegal now but is not what NHL wants. At least its what TSN has been saying at times.

Pretty much. While it is certainly beneficial to both parties, lowering the cap in such a manner (and making it so a player can be bought out easily when they retire) is against the spirit of the cap. One would have to imagine that the next CBA would try and fix it.

I pretty much parroted what forthewild said. Razz
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 5:45 pm

The NHL is one of three participants in the negotiations within the scope of the next CBA.

Players (via the Union)
Owners (GMs)
NHL

If two out of the three see benefits to these sorts of contracts, then they won't be going away.

I understand why the players and owners like them and I understand why the NHL doesn't. The NHL may want them to go away, but I am doubtful that the players or the owners will mirror that sentiment.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 5:56 pm

I don't agree sqare. At this rate the OWNERS will be losing nothing but money again in no time flat. It's esclating salaries that brought about the cap in the first place. The owners (once again) will need protection from themselves wen bargaining starts up again.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Maybe, but it allows the owners/gms the ability to sign these "stars" with the understanding that they can easily drop that number later via buyout or retirement.

*shrugs*
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 7:36 pm

ahhh wukwinn, what is going on with your PB?
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit   *Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

*Extension* Marc Savard: 7 Years, 4.2 Million Cap Hit
Page 1 of 1