Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers

Go down 
+4
cehnehdeh
MuckandGrind
Velmeran
TaLoN
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers Empty
PostSubject: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:25 pm

From Russo...

Posted on September 22nd, 2009 – 3:01 PM
By Michael Russo

OK, I’m back. The Wild trimmed its roster to 32 this morning by cutting seven players. The roster was at 38, then went back up to 39 with the recall of Jon DiSalvatore for last night’s game.

DiSalvatore, Tyler Cuma, Justin Falk, Petr Kalus, Anton Khudobin, Wade Dubielewicz and Duncan Milroy were let go, bringing it down to 32. Got it????????? Smile

Dubielewicz and Milroy are on 24-hour waivers and can be claimed or cleared by 11 a.m. Wednesday. DiSalvatore already cleared waivers last week, so he doesn’t have to be put on again. Cuma was sent back to junior. Kalus, Falk and Khudobin didn’t require waivers.

Roster is really at 31 because Cody Almond, who skated today in full gear, is rehabbing a sprained MCL. He’ll soon be sent to Houston.

A maximum NHL roster is 23 players (not including those on injured reserve).

Marco Scandella remains. He’s earned the right to stay (best D last night), but it would seem doubtful he makes the team. Right now, the last defenseman spot is between John Scott and Jaime Sifers, and if Shane Hnidy’s not healthy by Opening Night, maybe Scott and Sifers both stick temporarily.

Same goes with the forwards. Right now, dinged up are Koivu, Brunette, Sheppard, Bouchard, Boogaard, Weller and Pouliot (that we know of). The Wild so far has kept Danny Irmen, Matt Kassian, Nathan Smith, Andy Hilbert and Robbie Earl. If the regular’s are not healthy Opening Night, maybe one or two of those guys remain (Irmen being the clearcut frontrunner there).

Earl, by the way, has been cleared to finally play and will get in probably Thursday against St. Louis or Friday in Chicago.

But the Wild is keeping so many extra bodies because of the amount of injuries. The team needs guys to play the back-to-backs coming up. Afterward, you can bet many of the forwards listed above will be sent down.

As for Cuma, he’s going to be a good defenseman, but he barely played hockey last season and it showed in recent days. The Wild wants him to get back to Ottawa, be a regular, play for Canada in the world juniors and come back next camp ready to turn pro. He just wasn’t ready now.

Scandella has been impressive all camp, but at the end of the day, the Wild probably send him back to his junior team, Val-d’Or, as well. The trial period I mentioned for Cuma the other day could also be used for Scandella, but it still would seem unlikely. But like I said, he has had a very good camp and has impressed all the organization’s important people.

That’s it for now. A look ahead, a Cal Clutterbuck feature in Wednesday’s paper. I also had lunch with Kim Johnsson today for a big Johnsson story to appear likely Saturday. This is Johnsson’s fourth season in Minnesota, and he’s such a private, quiet guy, there’s never really been a good, meaty profile of him in the Twin Cities. I hope to do that (Brent Burns and Nick Schultz were gold today talking about Johnsson).

As for the injuries, even Todd Richards has no clue who will be on the ice tomorrow. Koivu should be. Brunette still looks like it’ll take some time. He wishes he pulled the chute a little earlier than he did. Basically, he compensated for the repaired right knee, and now his entire left side of the body is dinged up. He’ll be OK though. It’s Andrew Brunette.

Marian Gaborik looked like he had a fine debut for the Rangers last night. Boy, he looks odd in a different uniform than Minnesota’s. Also, bad news for Chicago, but Adam Burish tore his ACL during that collision Sunday with Benoit Pouliot. He’ll miss six months.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Interesting comments about Scandella, haven't heard much talk about him (and I've yet to listen to a pre-season game so..... can't comment on any mentions there), nice to see another player progressing nicely though.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:43 pm

He didn't play in the one game I saw, and haven't heard much about what he's done until this blog.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Quote :
ame goes with the forwards. Right now, dinged up are Koivu, Brunette, Sheppard, Bouchard, Boogaard, Weller and Pouliot (that we know of). The Wild so far has kept Danny Irmen, Matt Kassian, Nathan Smith, Andy Hilbert and Robbie Earl. If the regular’s are not healthy Opening Night, maybe one or two of those guys remain (Irmen being the clearcut frontrunner there).

I don't see Gillie's name mentioned....did I miss the news that he has been sent down?
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:15 pm

There's no way Nathan Smith stays up...
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:23 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Quote :
ame goes with the forwards. Right now, dinged up are Koivu, Brunette, Sheppard, Bouchard, Boogaard, Weller and Pouliot (that we know of). The Wild so far has kept Danny Irmen, Matt Kassian, Nathan Smith, Andy Hilbert and Robbie Earl. If the regular’s are not healthy Opening Night, maybe one or two of those guys remain (Irmen being the clearcut frontrunner there).

I don't see Gillie's name mentioned....did I miss the news that he has been sent down?
Good catch, you'd think Gillies would at least be a front runner over Irmen....
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:26 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Quote :

Perhaps I'm assuming too much, but I think Russo only listed players that were damn close to 100% going to be sent down. Gillies, whom which most of us would probably agree should be sent down, doesn't qualify into that group I suppose, since there is a much better chance that he actually makes the team, as opposed to the AHL regulars. I think it was more or less saying that a couple of the normally stamped Houston guys could be up here longer due to injuries.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Velmeran wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:
Quote :

I think Gillies chances went straight to Houston the day Sykora signed.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:41 pm

cehnehdeh wrote:
There's no way Nathan Smith stays up...

I wouldn't be surprised to see him dress a few games should injuries strike, but he isn't making the team out of camp.
Back to top Go down
Wild Fan #1

Wild Fan #1

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:45 pm

No surprises so far I guess. Good to see Cuma go back to junior.

MuckandGrind wrote:

My guess is that he's not on the bubble yet. If he is cut, he'd probably be one of the very last.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Wild Fan #1 wrote:
No surprises so far I guess. Good to see Cuma go back to junior.

MuckandGrind wrote:

My guess is that he's not on the bubble yet. If he is cut, he'd probably be one of the very last.
Glad you made it over! Always nice to have contrary opinions! Wink

I'm sure he'd be one of the last cuts as well, but I think with his salary, and his need to progress... I think it's almost automatic that he goes down to Houston. Injuries may make it take longer than training camp, but once everyone is healthy, I think he's an Aero.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:47 pm

TaLoN wrote:
Velmeran wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:
Quote :

I think Gillies chances went straight to Houston the day Sykora signed.
But Irmen over Gillies?
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:49 pm

[quote="Velmeran"]
TaLoN wrote:
But Irmen over Gillies?
I think with a healthy roster, neither is with the big club.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:53 pm

Goalies are obvious...

Backstrom
Harding

D-men are mostly obvious, only the 7th man is in question.

Burns
Schultz
Johnsson
Zidlicky
Zanon
Hnidy
Sifers or Scott

Forwards are less clear...

Koivu
Havlat
Sykora
Nolan
Bouchard
Clutterbuck
Miettinen
Sheppard
Brodziak
Belanger
Boogaard
Brunette
Pouliot - should make it and should play in the top 6
Weller - hard time seeing him not make it

That's what I think a healthy Wild roster looks like.
Back to top Go down
Hagendas

Hagendas

Location : In the land of 10,000 rinks but among those who don't believe so

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Gillies is still with the club. Of those who were sent down today Irmen has the best chance of actually getting a call up this year if/when the injury bug strikes. Gillies is likely going down to Houston but he has been pretty impressive in camp so far IMO. He will probably get the first call if/when needed, unless he stinks it up in Hou.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 pm

Hagendas wrote:
Gillies is still with the club. Of those who were sent down today Irmen has the best chance of actually getting a call up this year if/when the injury bug strikes. Gillies is likely going down to Houston but he has been pretty impressive in camp so far IMO. He will probably get the first call if/when needed, unless he stinks it up in Hou.
Agreed. Gillies had a great camp last year too, which is why he made the club initially, but they should've sent him back to Juniors once they saw his performance drop immediately when the regular season started.

I'm not going to be sold on Gillies in pre-season again, need to see more!. Laughing
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:04 pm

It's better for Gillies and the Wild if he spends the season in Houston. Right now, he could play the role of a decent physical forechecker with the Wild...in Houston, he might be able to further develop some much needed offensive skills to go along with his current skillset.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:06 pm

Absolutely. Look what Houston did for Cal's game! It can do that gor Gillies as well, which would make him a quality NHL'er when he returns, vs a fringe player like he is at best right now.
Back to top Go down
Wild Fan #1

Wild Fan #1

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:10 pm

TaLoN wrote:

I'm sure he'd be one of the last cuts as well, but I think with his salary, and his need to progress... I think it's almost automatic that he goes down to Houston. Injuries may make it take longer than training camp, but once everyone is healthy, I think he's an Aero.
Yep, good to see a better option exists. As far as I'm concerned, our old home is gone. Sad The new one is an alien.

As for the contrary opinion, you can say that again. Razz

The reason why I think his Houston ticket is almost a given is that he cannot be a healthy scratch. Scrubs like Weller can sit instead.

Velmeran wrote:

But Irmen over Gillies?
If a guy is going to be in and out of the lineup, let it be Irmen. He can do the dirty work while Gillies works on his game playing on the top line in Houston.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Welcome to the board WF#1!!!
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 pm

Wild Fan #1 wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

Yep, good to see a better option exists. As far as I'm concerned, our old home is gone. Sad The new one is an alien.

The reason why I think his Houston ticket is almost a given is that he cannot be a healthy scratch. Scrubs like Weller can sit instead.

Velmeran wrote:

But Irmen over Gillies?
If a guy is going to be in and out of the lineup, let it be Irmen. He can do the dirty work while Gillies works on his game playing on the top line in Houston.
So much for the contrary opinion... can't disagree with that post at all! lol!
Back to top Go down
Hagendas

Hagendas

Location : In the land of 10,000 rinks but among those who don't believe so

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Wild Fan #1 wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

Velmeran wrote:

But Irmen over Gillies?

I also totally agree when phrased like that. Irmen won't be much more than a checking line or 4th line player. I think one reason a lot of our guys are sub par offensively is that they are not given enough time to fully develop in the minors. Maybe if we give Gillies a year or two we will get what we originally saw in him when we drafted him. If I remember right we all thought it would take Gillies several years to fully develop into the power forward we see in him. It has been 2 years now. I say he needs maybe 2 more and then we can really judge him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers   Wild trims roster to 32, places two on waivers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1