Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NHL Free Agency class of 2010

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
KillerCarlson

NHL Free Agency class of 2010 Empty
PostSubject: NHL Free Agency class of 2010   NHL Free Agency class of 2010 I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 12:15 am

http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/2010-articles/may/2010-unrestricted-free-agency-list-what-does-this-mean-for-the-wild.html

NHL Free Agency Class of 2010, what does this mean for the Wild?

Written by Derek Felska
Monday, 03 May 2010 18:38

As the playoffs continues its march toward the Stanley Cup Finals, for fans like myself whose team never even qualified for the post-season while the post-season games are fun to watch you also feel as though you have a lot of extra time to mull over the bigger questions that swirl around your favorite organization. You start thinking about what went wrong in 2009-10, what (if anything) went right, who or what may be to blame, the draft but also free agency. It becomes almost an annual ritual and only a team's continual participation in the post-season keeps your mind off of those previous questions. In someways, I envy the fans of those teams since they just concern themselves with what is happening right now. No long-hours spent meditating and discussing what player could make the difference or which one is the team's weakest link. However that is the fate of any fan of a team like the Minnesota Wild; out of the playoffs and with plenty of time on their hands (minds) to consider all these big topics.

As I think about some of those conversations spent on message boards surrounding the Wild, after what even Minnesota General Manager Chuck Fletcher termed as a "disappointing" season I decided to take a look at who will be available this summer and what teams are in a bit of a cap / player crunch. Afterall, what is one team's misfortune is another team's potential treasure. That scenario played itself out (sort of) with Minnesota's acquisition of Martin Havlat from the Chicago Blackhawks who could no longer afford the Czech winger after they had signed Slovak Marian Hossa. Havlat was certainly one of those players who was expected to have had a better season than he did, but Minnesota has him under contract until the 2013-14 season. With the team already at just over $45 million committed to next season that leaves precious little room to fill the glaring holes that played a role in the team's disappointing season. The Wild were plagued by a revolving door at 2nd line center, whch has been a recurring problem long before Chuck Fletcher and Head Coach Todd Richards became apart of the organization. Minnesota, like just about any team in the league could use another scoring forward to round out its top six and while this may seem insulting to Antti Miettinen who had a career season he really was the beneficiary of being a 3rd liner that played 1st line minutes. The Wild also have a bit of a log jam of young defenseman, Clayton Stoner, Marco Scandella, Justin Falk and Nate Prosser so it seems unlikely Minnesota will re-sign Shane Hnidy or John Scott who does have some limited usefulness in the enforcer role. Minneapolis Star Tribune's Wild beat writer Michael Russo has noted that he thinks the team will likely re-sign disappointing center James Sheppard even though he has done little to justify such loyalty after having an abysmal 6 point season. After the team gives appreciable raise to restricted free agent Guillaume Latendresse who was a revelation this season there will not be much left over to add the two crucial missing pieces of a 2nd line center and another goal scoring forward. If the team can take any solace from not be able to make many moves, is that there is not a whole lot of quality free agents that could make a significant difference to the Wild's roster. Even if the team wanted to acquire that impact player, as you will also see there are a number of other teams who are far better positioned within the salary cap to make such a move. (click on the link for the rest of the article)
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: NHL Free Agency class of 2010   NHL Free Agency class of 2010 I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 2:58 am

IF and its a big IF, Paul Martin makes it to FA i would throw around 6mil cap hit at him and do all i can to trade shultz, i do think that in some way or form Shultz and Mittens are gone for either picks or prospects. That would almost cancel out the money Martin would get cap wise.

Martin would help make up a lot of our defensive problems, he could qb the pp, move the puck up the ice and be the big minute man.

Other then him not too many others i'd chase, Kovi is going to be way too expensive even if he would consider the wild, plekanec would be as well.

so pretty much keep the fingers crossed for Martin Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: NHL Free Agency class of 2010   NHL Free Agency class of 2010 I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:16 am

Chris Higgins would be a fairly good and realistic Wild pickup. He's had a "bad" contract year (cheap contract?) yet prior to this year he had three straight 20+ goal seasons. Take some flyers on cheaper, youngish players and hope you look like a genius CF!

Very good article Derek. Good lead in to a good FA list. Props to MNSOTA for compiling those stats?
Back to top Go down
KillerCarlson

PostSubject: Re: NHL Free Agency class of 2010   NHL Free Agency class of 2010 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 12:24 am

Actually I compiled them all. I am amazed I was able to find enough time this week to compose this article.

Tennis Match Monday, Tennis Match Tuesday, Parent/Teacher Conferences Wednesday, Tennis Match Thursday, 'rents coming up Friday for MNSOTA's birthday, Tennis Tournament Saturday...yet I still managed to kick out the free agent article. Thanks for the props Cehenedeh
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: NHL Free Agency class of 2010   NHL Free Agency class of 2010 I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Need to know the Koivu and Latendresse deals before any possible free agent signings. And I don't see anything major happening, unless the Bouchard or Schultz contracts can be unloaded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NHL Free Agency class of 2010   NHL Free Agency class of 2010 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NHL Free Agency class of 2010
Page 1 of 1