Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild

Go down 
+7
zamboni14
timotheuzi
KillerCarlson
OldTimeHockey
cehnehdeh
TaLoN
forthewild
11 posters
AuthorMessage
forthewild

forthewild

ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild Empty
PostSubject: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 5:54 pm

so it appears we are opening in Finland vs Carolina next year, which sucks mass amounts of horse gonads.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/79545012.html
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Blah!
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Canucks are also a candidate. I don't like it one bit. Why have my team start the season off with any sort of disadvantage? This is unneccessary.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:51 am

Blackhawks started there and they seem to be good but then again they do have a stacked team as fuck.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:53 am

Canucks went to Japan quite a few years ago. Everyone else should have a chance first....
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:55 am

cehnehdeh wrote:
Canucks went to Japan quite a few years ago. Everyone else should have a chance first....
Is that where Ohlund mastered the art of using chopsticks?
Back to top Go down
KillerCarlson

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 1:49 am

Hmm, I don't like this because it robs the home fans of a regular season game. For what purpose? Stroking the IIHF's or Rene Fasel's ego? Anyone want to bet you don't see any appropriate price reduction in your season tickets over this? They'll probably make it up by adding a few more "Premium" games so they can get the same amount of dough hosting one less regular season home game.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:15 am

I read that this would rob the canes of a home game, could be wrong. Is this even confirmed for sure yet?
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:36 am

KillerCarlson wrote:
Hmm, I don't like this because it robs the home fans of a regular season game. For what purpose? Stroking the IIHF's or Rene Fasel's ego? Anyone want to bet you don't see any appropriate price reduction in your season tickets over this? They'll probably make it up by adding a few more "Premium" games so they can get the same amount of dough hosting one less regular season home game.
That sounds pathetic....so pathetic that they will probably do it. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
zamboni14

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:04 am

If it counts as a home game for the Canes.. eh... why not!? I mean how many more Fins can we fit on this team? Now if it counts as one of our home games...

I'm fucking swedish... so is my wife... play more fucking ABBA!!
Back to top Go down
DougRiser

DougRiser

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:11 am

Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 5:46 am

timotheuzi wrote:
I read that this would rob the canes of a home game, could be wrong. Is this even confirmed for sure yet?
When teams start over seas, they do an equivalent of a home and home, thus each team involved loses a home game.
Back to top Go down
mplspug

mplspug

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 1:34 pm

I think if you are going to do it, do it for all teams. Then you don't handicap these teams that have to play them.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 pm

I have never understood the motivation behind opening over-seas. Most fans are here. We aren't going to book travel to Helsinki to go watch the Wild.
Back to top Go down
http://bozak911.blogspot.com/
zamboni14

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 5:12 pm

sqare wrote:
I have never understood the motivation behind opening over-seas. Most fans are here. We aren't going to book travel to Helsinki to go watch the Wild.

I actually understand WHY they do it... so that people can see their "home nation" talent actually play in front of them. And when you figure you have the KHL on that side of the world, you are going to need to do some thing to try and bring in those top european players (or I should say, keep them wanting to come here besides the lure of being in the "NHL" and winning the Stanley Cup.)

I think they should schedule each team to play at least 1 game in europe every year and have it played in different venues/cities. That would be 32 games and 1 trip for each team (and try to schedule it to be the only game that week for that team so the players can enjoy the trip and not be rushed to get there, practice, play the game, then leave just as quickly so they can be back to get ready for a west/east coast trip.)
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 6:31 pm

Your logic is flawed:
Quote :
you are going to need to do some thing to try and bring in those top european players

The top European players already *want* to play here.

Most teams will draft swedes, finns, or even russians. Hedman and MPS come to mind as the top European players from the last draft.

The NHL already drafts the best European players and the rest would not be considered NHL quality.

Teams are not a "National" team. The Wild have three Finns, three Czechs, one Swede and a mixture of mostly canadian and one american. The Canes have three Finns as well, one Swede and the rest are north american.

Yes, I understand that "it's cool" for the big name Finns to play at home. I disagree with the "It's Cool" aspect and would rather see them at home.

Remember the large Finnish delegation at a Wild game last season?
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 6:43 pm

M. Koivu is the best Fin player in the world, Zetterberg/Lidstrom are the best Sweedes, Ovie is the best Russian. The Stanly cup is the biggest prize in hockey, so i agree with Sqare the best players play here, this is about expanding the popularity of NHL in Europe and trying to eventually get an NHL league in Europe.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 6:51 pm

It's more than that. Heard a very enlightening segment yesterday about how last year, overseas nhl.com hits were HUGE and the shop.nhl.com profited very nicely from oversea sales as well.

Money will always be the motivator.
Back to top Go down
Kevin W
Admin
Kevin W

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 9:20 am

It worked out for the Blues this year sweeping Detroit... that's about all they've done well this year.
Back to top Go down
zamboni14

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 12:57 pm

sqare wrote:
Your logic is flawed:
Quote :
you are going to need to do some thing to try and bring in those top european players

The top European players already *want* to play here.

Most teams will draft swedes, finns, or even russians. Hedman and MPS come to mind as the top European players from the last draft.

The NHL already drafts the best European players and the rest would not be considered NHL quality.

Teams are not a "National" team. The Wild have three Finns, three Czechs, one Swede and a mixture of mostly canadian and one american. The Canes have three Finns as well, one Swede and the rest are north american.

Yes, I understand that "it's cool" for the big name Finns to play at home. I disagree with the "It's Cool" aspect and would rather see them at home.

Remember the large Finnish delegation at a Wild game last season?

you left out the part where I said "or keep them wanting to come here." I know they currently ARE here already... but if they (the NHL) isn't careful, we could start to lose those players to the KHL if the KHL is playing in their backyard and they are paying them.
Back to top Go down
sqare

sqare

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Granted, I have only talked to one fringe NHLer about it, but his assessment is that most of the guys would rather play in the AHL than go over to the KHL. Unless you are from the former Eastern Block countries or it's your last option, North American hockey is where it's at.

*shrugs*
Back to top Go down
zamboni14

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm not going to disagree about players feeling like that TODAY, but what about tomorrow? Remember when the "AFL" was considered a inferior football league?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild   ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ladies and gents let me give you the Helsinki Wild
Page 1 of 1