Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.

Go down 
+5
Beer
Marlowe Syn
Wild Fan #1
TaLoN
MuckandGrind
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. Empty
PostSubject: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Sorry, but I have a thing for lists. Laughing Burns is getting some love here....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/10092272/Top-10-defensemen-under-25

Quote :

It's the hardest position for youngsters to play in the NHL; preternatural skill doesn't necessarily translate to success. Why? Defensemen must be physically mature, able to fend off behemoths along the boards and in front of the net. Successful defensemen must be smart, decisive and quick to act, whether simply chipping the puck out of their zone or pinching to keep an offensive chance alive. Blueliners almost always need experience.

This is a tough list to get on. The No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft, Erik Johnson, isn't on it — his lost season in 2008-09 was too much to overcome. The No. 2 pick this past June, Victor Hedman, isn't on it — he needs to face NHL competition first. Jack Johnson, No. 3 in 2005, nope. Luke Schenn, uh-uh. Cam Barker, 40 points last season and entering his fourth NHL season, left hanging. Here are the young studs who did make it; here's THN.com's top 10 under-25 defensemen.

10. Marc Staal, New York Rangers, 22

He became a top-two blueliner over established veterans such as Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival. He won't put up big numbers, but he'll keep opposing players from doing so.

9. Brent Burns, Minnesota, 24

He has an all-around game like few others in the league; he can score, play shutdown 'D' and is physical. He scored 15 goals and 43 points two seasons ago, but lost much of last season to injury. Wait and see what kind of totals he puts up in the Wild's new up-tempo system.

8. Braydon Coburn, Philadelphia, 24

A virtual unknown — even though he was picked eighth overall in 2003 — before being plucked from Atlanta in 2007 for the aged Alexei Zhitnik, Coburn has emerged as one of the young Beasts of the East. Expect him to be even scarier once he learns a few things from Chris Pronger.

7. Brent Seabrook, Chicago, 24

His plus-23 tied for seventh among defensemen in the league last year and he emerged as a leader on the Blackhawks blueline, where he was second in average ice time. He's a Team Canada invitee who opened many people's eyes with his play during the playoffs.

6. Zach Bogosian, Atlanta, 19

In just 47 games last year as a straight-from-junior rookie, he totaled nine goals and 19 points. He also played with reckless abandon — as one THNer said "I like him over others because you can't teach crazy." But he also tied for third in plus-minus on Atlanta, so he's not that reckless.

5. Ryan Suter, Nashville, 24

Along with his partner in crime (No. 2 on this list), he forms one of the league's best tandems. He had a downturn in plus-minus last year, but his point totals have trended upwards each of his four NHL seasons.

The Kings' Drew Doughty was one of the league's top rookies a year ago. (Victor Decolongon / Getty Images)

4. Drew Doughty, Los Angeles, 19

Many believe he got jobbed in the Calder voting — he finished fifth — simply because he plays on the left coast. As a true rookie he was the best blueliner on his team and flashed glimpses of uber-talent from October through April.

3. Dion Phaneuf, Calgary, 24

His 'off' year in 2008-09 would be a career year for most defensemen. He was a first all-star after his third NHL season and already has 65 goals and 206 points for the Flames. Oh, and he's a killer out there.

2. Shea Weber, Nashville, 24

His 23 goals were tied for second among D-men last year. He hits like a freight train, has a booming shot and can play lock-down defense. He's a virtual cinch for Team Canada in Vancouver.

1. Mike Green, Washington, 23

He led all blueliners in goals (31), points (73) and power play goals (18), tied for fifth in plus-minus (plus-24) and was seventh in ice time (25:45) last season, all while playing just 68 games because of an injury. 'Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Maybe it's the homer in me, but I'd have Burns at #4 on that list myself... Wink
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:37 pm

TaLoN wrote:
Maybe it's the homer in me, but I'd have Burns at #4 on that list myself... Wink

Maybe if Burns actually played a full season of defense last season, and didn't have the concussion, he might have been up there.

As far as Mike Green being #1...IDK, great scoring defenseman, but not the strongest in his own end. Yes, he had a decent plus/minus mainly because of all the scoring, he would be even better if he played better in the defensive zone...
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:42 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

Maybe if Burns actually played a full season of defense last season, and didn't have the concussion, he might have been up there.

As far as Mike Green being #1...IDK, great scoring defenseman, but not the strongest in his own end. Yes, he had a decent plus/minus mainly because of all the scoring, he would be even better if he played better in the defensive zone...
True, but given time I think his play in his own end will improve. One thing that CAN be taught is defense. Offense is next to impossible to teach, since it's more based on skill.
Back to top Go down
Wild Fan #1

Wild Fan #1

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:49 pm

If Buurns would have had a season like 2007-08, he should be #2.
Back to top Go down
Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm a bit surprised that Duncan Keith isn't on it either. Never mind I looked him up, he's 26. I'd pick Weber over Green for #1. But I'm more partial to the heavy hitting blueliners. I'm getting serious deja vu in this post. Feel like I've been here before.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:52 pm

Wild Fan #1 wrote:
If Buurns would have had a season like 2007-08, he should be #2.
Unfortunately last season did happen, and based on that I'd have him at #4, but you are correct otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Beer

Beer

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:55 pm

So, not counting last season you guys would have him above Phaneuf and Weber?

I don't know, I'd still probably have him at #4 tops
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Beer wrote:

Not me.....although I think he has the potential to be ranked higher than those two.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Beer wrote:

Phaneuf had a down year last year, and yes, I think Burns CAN be better than Weber... I thought Burnsie was robbed not being selected for the All-Star game on 07-08.
Back to top Go down
Wild Fan #1

Wild Fan #1

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:04 pm

TaLoN wrote:

Unfortunately last season did happen, and based on that I'd have him at #4, but you are correct otherwise.
I'd have him way higher than #9 as well. Bogosian ahead of him is a joke.

Beer wrote:

No because Phaneuf's bad year would be erased as well. Burns, Weber, and Phaneuf have played a game of leap frog the past couple years simply based on what-have-you-done-for-me-lately opinions.
Back to top Go down
topshelf37

topshelf37

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 pm

He's ranked accordingly.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:47 pm

TaLoN wrote:

IF not #4 certainly higher than he is. I'm not sure it's a homer thing either.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Beer wrote:

yeah, four tops.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:06 pm

My beef with Green is he totally vanished during the playoffs last year, to me if you're going to be a top dman you better step up during the cup playoffs.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Wild Fan #1 wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

I'd have him way higher than #9 as well. Bogosian ahead of him is a joke.

Beer wrote:

No because Phaneuf's bad year would be erased as well. Burns, Weber, and Phaneuf have played a game of leap frog the past couple years simply based on what-have-you-done-for-me-lately opinions.

Hey, maybe my favorite hockey talk sparring partner. Good to see you.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:00 pm

forthewild wrote:
My beef with Green is he totally vanished during the playoffs last year, to me if you're going to be a top dman you better step up during the cup playoffs.

Wasn't he sick or injured or something. It's just a gut feeling but I'm not prepared to rate him on that playoff. He's a beast.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:02 pm

shmiddy wrote:
forthewild wrote:

Wasn't he sick or injured or something. It's just a gut feeling but I'm not prepared to rate him on that playoff. He's a beast.

According to TSN unless i missed something he just didn't perform. In any case the #1 spot belongs to the most rounded Dman not saying that Green can't be that one day but he needs to become better in his own zone.

Also as a shot out of a cannon could Green become a forward, he has the know how to score and a shot.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 4:20 pm

forthewild wrote:
shmiddy wrote:
forthewild wrote:

According to TSN unless i missed something he just didn't perform. In any case the #1 spot belongs to the most rounded Dman not saying that Green can't be that one day but he needs to become better in his own zone.

Also as a shot out of a cannon could Green become a forward, he has the know how to score and a shot.

Yeah, maybe I just remember speculation. It's pretty hard to believe someone who was doing so well could get so shitty so fast without some affliction. Maybe the team brought him out for tequila shots or had too much tea with Ms. McGill or something.

I agree with you about #1 spot.
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 4:31 pm

forthewild wrote:
shmiddy wrote:
forthewild wrote:

Well the most rounded d-man on that list is by far Shea Weber.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.   Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foxsports.com - Top 10 Defensemen Under 25 years of age.
Page 1 of 1