Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread

Go down 
+14
Quisp
DougRiser
timotheuzi
wukwinn
OldTimeHockey
Wild_State_of_Hockey
BackStopBabe
Dee Oh Cee
CJayWild
Toewser
zamboni14
Kevin W
00Xtremeninja
TaLoN
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 3:43 am

Let the Colts have one more big week for my fantasy team first, since Manning is my QB and Clark is my TE... After Thursday I already have an 89pt lead going into Sunday, so barring a disaster by the rest of my squad, I should be in the title game!
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:37 am

Well wasn't that a bitch to watch.
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 1:01 am

Kids, quick....EARMUFFS!!! Or blindfolds!!

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 3:24 pm

THAT was a poor performance in every aspect of the game....poor run and pass blocking...poor catching...poor tackling...extremely poor pass coverage...no pass rush...bad special teams..bad run defense...I got nothing good out of that game.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Sad

see this is why you don't extend Chili mid season before the shit starts to hit the fan... OMFG we are stuck with him and Favre will be gone next year.... Cowher is going to coach next year people say and, if not him, Gruden would be a huge upgrade over Chili.... Sad
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Coaches can be fired.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 10:27 pm

TaLoN wrote:
Coaches can be fired.

UNLESS your name is Jacques Lemaire. He just fires the team!
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:51 am

Harvin was much maligned by many a fan on the old boards back on draft day... I told them all to have faith, he was the clear choice then, and even better now in hindsight!

Harvin absolutely deserves the RoY honors he just received.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 pm

It is amazing how many teams passed on him for pot. Didn't anyone learn anything from Randy Moss and Harvin seemed to have better character than him before the draft.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 10:02 pm

Harvin has a better mentality for the game as well...
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 12:14 am

From the Strib...

Winfield tries to stay a step ahead

His right foot still isn't completely healed, but he'll contribute by playing more in the slot and as a nickel back.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune
Last update: January 13, 2010 - 9:19 PM

Antoine Winfield said Wednesday that his right foot feels better, but the question now is whether the veteran cornerback feels comfortable enough to play his normal role in Sunday's playoff game against the Dallas Cowboys.

Winfield, who missed six games after suffering a Lisfranc injury, was used only as the nickel back in the regular-season finale against the Giants after struggling in the previous two games.

The Vikings might stick with that plan Sunday and have Benny Sapp play the left cornerback spot. Vikings coach Brad Childress said Winfield will play "some" on the outside.

"Wherever they need me or feel I'll be most effective, I'll be there," Winfield said.

Winfield spent the bye week at his home in Houston and said his foot made progress. He admits he won't be 100 percent until this offseason, but he said the extra rest helped.

"I feel good," he said. "I think it helped having the time off, staying off the foot.

Winfield clearly was not right in back-to-back losses to Carolina and Chicago. He gave up several long touchdown catches and missed a handful of tackles. The coaching staff gave him a reduced role against the Giants and he played about 20 snaps in the nickel package with Sapp as the starter.

"It gives the secondary a great luxury," Sapp said of being able to play both positions. "It's a totally different mindset [being in slot vs. outside], but that's what I do. It's pretty easy for me."

Winfield said it's easier on his foot if he plays in the slot because that position doesn't require as much running, and he's obviously not on the field for as many plays.

"On the outside you have to worry about the deep ball. You have to worry about running across the field. In the slot, we play a lot of Cover-2 zone so I'm looking in at the quarterback, and I'm moving in spaces that are limited so I'm not moving as much."

Another benefit of having Winfield in the slot is that he can have a greater impact in run support. He is one of the top tackling cornerbacks in the league and brings a physical presence against the run. That could be particularly important Sunday against a Cowboys offense that ranked No. 7 in rushing this season and has three talented backs.

"I'm closer to the line of scrimmage, playing like a linebacker," he said. "I think that's one of my strengths."
Back to top Go down
Gnarkill

Gnarkill

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 pm

I posted this on the other forum but I figured it wouldnt hurt to post here aswell. at the beginning of the season a drunken group of friends and I decided that when teh vikes made the playoffs we were gonna rock mullets.. or if you didnt you have to wear a dress to the bar for a full week of buying rounds. soo in short Lets go Vikes and here ya go boys:

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 Th_mullet001

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:19 am

From the Strib...

In their Dome home, Vikings are fearsome

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 Rotatordome

Minnesota went undefeated at home this season, while every other NFC team lost at least two home games.

Last update: January 15, 2010 - 11:01 PM

Defensive tackle Pat Williams used the word "raggedy" to describe the Vikings stadium, and several teammates referred to it as the "hood" compared to the Dallas Cowboys' billion-dollar Taj Majal.

Make no mistake, though. Mall of America Field at the Metrodome has been good for the Vikings this season. They were one of only two NFL teams that went undefeated at home this season, joining the New England Patriots at 8-0. Every other NFC team lost at least two home games.

It was only the third time in Vikings history that they finished the regular season undefeated at home (1989, 1998).

That, of course, does not guarantee the Vikings will win Sunday's divisional playoff game against the Cowboys. Dallas went 5-3 on the road this season, including a victory at the Superdome in New Orleans, one of the toughest and loudest venues in the NFL.

But the Vikings certainly play like a different team at home.

"There's something to be said for home-field advantage, I guess," left guard Steve Hutchinson said. "Maybe it is as simple as that. That you play better at home."

That obviously is the case for most teams, but it seems especially true for the Vikings this season:

• Their offense ranked second in the NFL in yards per game at home (436.5) and tied for first with 29 touchdowns. The Vikings were 12th in yards per game on the road (353.6) with 24 touchdowns.

• The Vikings converted 50 percent of their third-down opportunities at home compared with 39.3 percent on the road.

• They had only six turnovers at home, 12 on the road.

• They averaged 33 points per game at home, 26 points per game on the road.

"I think we're a good team no matter where we play," center John Sullivan said. "As far as the success we've had at home, it's due to a bunch of things. Crowd, comfort level, we have a good routine, especially playing Sunday noon games.

"The crowd makes it hard on the other team's offense to function," he said. "We feed off that in every facet of the game."

The Metrodome noise is particularly difficult for opposing offenses. It forces them to go to a silent snap count, which often leads to false start penalties and linemen reacting a split-second slower than usual.

"When your crowd is into the game it's loud out there, especially when we're on defense," defensive tackle Kevin Williams said.

"They can't really hear," he said. "Sometimes it causes them to burn timeouts and not get the correct checks. It's a great feeling to be playing at home."

Defensive end Jared Allen seems to feast on that. Allen finished second in the NFL with 14.5 sacks -- 9.5 of those at the Metrodome.

Crowd noise could play a factor in Allen's matchup against Cowboys left tackle Flozell Adams, who had six false start penalties this season.

"It's hard for the offenses to really set the tone and get a rhythm going because they're always getting disturbed," tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said his defense also is affected by the noise because it is harder to communicate pre-snap calls.

Childress has noise piped in at the team's indoor practice facility to simulate the effects of crowd noise inside the Metrodome.

"Sometimes the fans basically get so loud we can't hear the play call," Pat Williams said. "We'll be yelling at the guys trying to get the play in and we can't hear each other out there. ... I've played in almost all the stadiums in the NFL and I think ours is the loudest out of everybody else."
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 11:46 pm

From the Strib...

John Sullivan: Favre's protector

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 1vike0811

Top defensive tackles have tested Vikings center John Sullivan all season. Stopping Jay Ratliff on Sunday could go far in controlling a stout Dallas front.

Last update: January 16, 2010 - 8:25 AM

John Sullivan faced refrigerator-sized Cleveland nose tackle Shaun Rogers in his first NFL start, then battled three different Pro Bowl defensive tackles during the season.

But his biggest challenge comes Sunday in the Vikings' divisional playoff game against the Dallas Cowboys.

While much of the focus this week has been on the Vikings' two offensive tackles, Sullivan's match against nose tackle Jay Ratliff figures to be just as pivotal. Ratliff, an All-Pro, has developed rapidly into one of the NFL's top interior linemen.

The Vikings' first-year starting center expects to have his hands full.

"All the guys you play against have strengths and weaknesses, but he has a lot of strengths," Sullivan said, smiling. "We're just going to go out there and battle. It's do-or-die time so you just have to step up to the challenge."

It's quite a task. Ratliff finished second on his team in sacks (seven), fourth in quarterback hurries (33), second in tackles for loss (eight) and fifth in tackles (83).

"He's a big challenge," Vikings coach Brad Childress said. "He's an athletic guy. I'm not going to say he freelances, but he has some independent movement that he does because he has pass-rush skills. He doesn't have to just push the truck.

"He can beat a center with quickness. He can beat him with power. He's playing very well, and he's a big piece of that pass rush, not just the bookend guys."

The bookend guys -- linebackers DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer -- present their own set of problems as premier pass rushers. That responsibility will fall mostly on the shoulders of Pro Bowl left tackle Bryant McKinnie and rookie right tackle Phil Loadholt.

Quarterback Brett Favre might be able to buy some time and room by stepping up into the pocket against the outside pressure. But Sullivan needs to hold his ground against Ratliff, who is listed at 6-4 and 303 pounds.

"He's a dynamic pass rusher," Sullivan said. "He has a lot of quicks. But he's not small. He's still 300-plus pounds. He has power and speed, and that's a dangerous combination."

Ratliff, a seventh-round pick from Auburn in 2005, is a converted defensive end who started his college career as a tight end.

He recorded 50 tackles and eight sacks total in his first three NFL seasons, but he had a breakout 2008 season -- 83 tackles and 7.5 sacks -- and earned his first Pro Bowl trip.

Vikings veteran offensive lineman Artis Hicks said the thing that makes Ratliff unique is that he's not "just a big lug in there."

"You turn the film on and he's probably the most active nose tackle that I've seen," Hicks said.

"Most nose tackles you see these days just kind of hunker down in there and eat up blockers and keep the linebackers free. But this is a guy that is making plays from that spot. He's getting penetration, getting in the backfield, getting tackles for loss, forcing fumbles. He's doing a lot of great things."

Sullivan will get help from guards Steve Hutchinson and Anthony Herrera. How well the Vikings handle Ratliff is every bit as important as their success with the Ware-Spencer tandem.

"That's a huge factor in the game," offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "Obviously you know about the flamethrowers from the edge. ... But a lot of times if you can do a great job of running those guys by, you give your quarterback a little bit of room to step up. But that's where Ratliff is doing such a great job of taking on those centers. You can end up getting a matchup of one-on-one at times.

"He can make different moves from both sides and end up getting push in the middle and you end up collapsing the pocket that way, so that's going to be a huge matchup for us."
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Favre is my hero...wow what a player.
Back to top Go down
zamboni14

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:21 am

how 'bout them Cowboys? Their kicking game SUCKED! Their QB.. SUCKED! Their passing attack.. SUCKED! Their running attack... SUCKED! Defense... SUCKED!

aaaaaahhhhhh life is beautiful
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 1:13 pm

The atmosphere at the Dome on Sunday was absolutely unreal! Lets hope the guys can take that energy through to TWO more wins!
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 2:49 am

From the Strib...

Stimulus funds for Vikings stadium in the suburbs?

Vikings' spokesman Lester Bagley told a real estate gathering in Minneapolis that private developers and local government officials have approached the team about a half dozen potential Twin Cities suburban sites.

By MIKE KASZUBA and PAUL LEVY, S tar Tribune staff writers
Last update: January 23, 2010 - 12:12 AM

A new wrinkle developed in the Minnesota Vikings' stadium strategy on Friday, when team officials said they are looking at federal stimulus money to help them build a new home that just might be located in the suburbs.

Vikings' spokesman Lester Bagley told a real estate gathering in Minneapolis that private developers and local government officials have also approached the team about a half dozen potential Twin Cities suburban sites. Bagley would not say where, but some signs pointed to Dayton, near Interstate 94 in western Hennepin County, as a possible home.

To help finance the deal, the Vikings are exploring federal Build America Bonds, along with a possible 2 percent increase in the hospitality tax across the seven-county metro area.

Bagley's comments were the first public signs of a tentative blueprint for how the team might assemble a public financing package at the Legislature, which convenes in two weeks.

His remarks also came just as the team prepares for its biggest game of the season -- against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday for the NFC championship. The winner goes to the Super Bowl.

Bagley said the federal bonds could provide up to $1 million a year to help make interest payments on a stadium, which is projected to cost $870 million.

Minnesota's top state budget official, Tom Hanson, who spoke Friday to the same group, said state officials have not used the bond program and that any proposal -- including one from the Vikings -- would need legislative approval.

Kathy Kardell, an assistant commissioner under Hanson at the Minnesota Management and Budget Office, said a study would be needed to determine whether a Vikings stadium could be defined as a "governmental purpose" under federal tax law.

The Illinois Business Journal reported that Southern Illinois University last year used Build America Bonds to help finance a new 15,000-seat football stadium and help expand its basketball arena.

Kardell said agency officials have been asked by representatives from Gov. Tim Pawlenty's office to investigate other possible bonding strategies, but most had been discarded as unworkable.

Bill Lester, the executive director of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, which owns the Metrodome, said Bagley's comments Friday made public new details of the team's possible financial strategies.

"What's significant is he's never said them to the public before," Lester said of the proposal.

Other pieces of finance puzzle

Although no one financing proposal would by itself pay for the stadium, Bagley said all were being explored as part of a public subsidy package.

Bagley said that an increase in the hospitality tax, similar to what was used in the late 1970s and '80s to finance the Metrodome could generate another $15 million annually.

That, he said, could be added to the Vikings' push to divert the estimated $20 million they say the team generates yearly in sales taxes.

Team officials said diverting that money, plus the addition of new tax revenue, could equal the estimated $29 million to $42 million annually that would be needed for the project.

Brian McClung, a Pawlenty spokesman, said Friday that while the Vikings and the governor's office were meeting about the stadium, there had been no "specific proposals."

Bagley said the team was frustrated with critics who keep asking how much the Vikings were willing to commit to a stadium. "Why is it on us to talk about our investment? Where's the public side of the equation?" asked Bagley, who added the National Football League and owner Zygi Wilf have consistently talked of contributing a third of the stadium's estimated cost. The team's goal this year at the Legislature, he said, would be "to put [the stadium] in a position to be resolved" before the team's Metrodome lease expires in 2011.

Bye, bye Minneapolis?

Bagley's hints at a suburban location for a stadium were intriguing but came with few details, and left unclear whether the team was serious about moving to the suburbs or was simply building political leverage.

Bagley said each of the half dozen potential sites could involve public subsidies. Should they move from its cramped downtown location, he said, the Vikings would want some room -- 270 to 300 acres with a mass transit option. "A number of communities have come forward," Bagley said.

The latest speculation about a move outside the city surfaced last week, when Doug Anderson, the mayor of Dayton, a small city in western Hennepin County near Rogers and Hassan Township, projected the Vikings logo on a large screen as part of a Power Point presentation at an Anoka Area Chamber of Commerce meeting. "There has been a little [Vikings stadium] talk with property owners to the south of us who are considering something," Anderson said.

The Beard Group, a Hopkins developer, has access to 637 acres in Hassan Township that is the designated home of the Stones Throw project, which would include more than 1,400 housing units and a mall with up-scale stores.

Asked whether his group was negotiating with the Vikings, Gump said, "I can't make any comments about who we're talking to. ... I can't confirm or deny anything."

When reminded of the reference to the Vikings made by the city of Dayton, Gump said, "I wish that logo didn't pop up."
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Fucking pathetic! What was a good game is now shitty, because the Vikes can't hold onto the ball to save their fooking lives.
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:25 pm

facepalm
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Most of you people didnt even like football last year. Pretty much everyone called them the Vikequeens etc...

Amazing how many bandwagoners jump on once you get a decent QB!
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:39 pm

The reason why they were called the Vikequeens is because our QB was a fucking awful excuse for a football player, favre completed the team and made them a force. Imagine if the Nucks had a great team, O and D was great but the goalie couldn't stop a damn thing. Also Vikes are one of the most excruciating teams to follow, just when they give you hope they will fuck it up and make you cry, most of the viking fans have been crying their whole life.
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:10 pm

And still crying.....................this won't end well.
Back to top Go down
Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:13 pm

shitty pass interference call
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Time to get out the razors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread
Page 8 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next