Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Who got raped on the Kessel deal?

Go down 
+10
forthewild
Toewser
MuckandGrind
cehnehdeh
shmiddy
Velmeran
Wild_State_of_Hockey
TaLoN
00Xtremeninja
5hole
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Naw I wish. We went to one of the Gulf Islands here. It was AWESOME though!!

I need to get some pics sent to me so I can post em' up and make you drool. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 7:36 pm

cehnehdeh wrote:
Naw I wish. We went to one of the Gulf Islands here. It was AWESOME though!!

I need to get some pics sent to me so I can post em' up and make you drool. Very Happy

Do it. I went to Whistler skiing years ago and we landed in Vancouver. Some of the coastal stuff we flew over looked mind blowing. Not much to do but make babies out there eh? Razz
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 7:43 pm

NO MORE BABIES!!

Whistler was even more amazing (IMO) before it got taken over by the rich and out-priced us peasants.

If you flew over Vancouver you definately saw the coastal Gulf Islands. The island we stayed on is 26 KM long and is 6km wide at its widest point. 1100 full-time residents. It was wierd, EVERYONE says hi and everyone we came across was very polite and courteous. It was like we landed in a whole other world.

Sidenote- Wow, it took a mere 10 posts for me to hijack a thread. My bad. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Meh, you hijacking a thread is nothing new. Laughing
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 7:59 pm

cehnehdeh wrote:
NO MORE BABIES!!

Whistler was even more amazing (IMO) before it got taken over by the rich and out-priced us peasants.

If you flew over Vancouver you definately saw the coastal Gulf Islands. The island we stayed on is 26 KM long and is 6km wide at its widest point. 1100 full-time residents. It was wierd, EVERYONE says hi and everyone we came across was very polite and courteous. It was like we landed in a whole other world.

Sidenote- Wow, it took a mere 10 posts for me to hijack a thread. My bad. Very Happy

Maybe that's where I'll go when I bug out of civilization. As for whistler, I bet it was. Though, if the aristocrats wouldn't have been there, I would have had no one to make uncomfortable. drunken
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:17 am

I like the deal from the Bruins perspective....they didn't have the cap space to sign Kessel and managed to get two 1st rounders and a 2nd out of it....they still have a talented team, and now have the assets to build an even stronger foundation.

Burke went all-in on this deal...if it backfires, it could go badly. IMO, Kessel still hasn't proven himself as an elite player yet. He had Savard feeding him the puck in Bean Town, who will be doing the same for him in Toronto? Will he survive the glare and spotlight on him in Toronto? Or will he wilt under the pressure?
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:22 am

It was a risk well worth taking from Toronto's perspective IMO.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 am

Toronto didn't have to give up any solid bluechip prospects. That's impressive to me.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:25 am

cehnehdeh wrote:
Toronto didn't have to give up any solid bluechip prospects. That's impressive to me.

Yeah, but giving up two first round picks and a second is essentially the same thing, IMO...those picks could very easily turn into bluechip prospects.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:26 am

MuckandGrind wrote:
cehnehdeh wrote:

Yeah, but giving up two first round picks and a second is essentially the same thing, IMO...those picks could very easily turn into bluechip prospects.
But unlike some teams, they have some good prospects already in their cupboard... they are far from thin in their farm system.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:29 am

Well Toronto is just using the cushion at the moment to fall under the cap. That will happen when you toss 3.5M to Jeff Finger. So they may have to make another tweak to get under but overall, I think it was a good deal for both of them. Toronto just needs to get out of the bottom 10 or so.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:02 pm

To me Toronto got the better part of this deal, there is only one way Boston will have gotten a better deal and that is if Toronto absolutely tanks and gets a top 5 pick. But i think they will do better, Vesa should be improved this year, they got some better D. They look good enough to make the playoffs and if they do well they can get a late 1st round pick which isn't giving up much for a 21 year old scorer.

And next year Toronto can go out and get a FA center to better help Kessel.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:18 pm

forthewild wrote:
To me Toronto got the better part of this deal, there is only one way Boston will have gotten a better deal and that is if Toronto absolutely tanks and gets a top 5 pick. But i think they will do better, Vesa should be improved this year, they got some better D. They look good enough to make the playoffs and if they do well they can get a late 1st round pick which isn't giving up much for a 21 year old scorer.

Agreed. If Toronto does well and turns those into late first rounders, then Toronto got what they wanted out of the deal.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:25 pm

TaLoN wrote:
forthewild wrote:

Agreed. If Toronto does well and turns those into late first rounders, then Toronto got what they wanted out of the deal.

Lots of good teams in the East...how many of them can they leap frog? I'm not as on-board with Toronto as many others are....I think Boston got good value for a guy they knew they weren't going to be able to re-sign. IMO, they got more value for Kessel than Ottawa got for Heatley.

Toronto makes out ONLY if they go deep into the playoffs the next two seasons....just getting in and going one and done will still give the Bruins some nice picks they can use to stockpile young talent. They should have 4 first round and 3 second round picks over the next two seasons, not too bad, IMO.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:31 pm

I am not saying the Bruins lost either. I've already said I think it's a good deal for both.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:32 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Lots of good teams in the East...how many of them can they leap frog? I'm not as on-board with Toronto as many others are....I think Boston got good value for a guy they knew they weren't going to be able to re-sign. IMO, they got more value for Kessel than Ottawa got for Heatley.

Toronto makes out ONLY if they go deep into the playoffs the next two seasons....just getting in and going one and done will still give the Bruins some nice picks they can use to stockpile young talent. They should have 4 first round and 3 second round picks over the next two seasons, not too bad, IMO.
And they can use those 4 1sts and 3 2nds to either try and move up, or acquire some needed help at the trade deadline.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:45 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:

Burke went all-in on this deal...if it backfires, it could go badly. IMO, Kessel still hasn't proven himself as an elite player yet. He had Savard feeding him the puck in Bean Town, who will be doing the same for him in Toronto? Will he survive the glare and spotlight on him in Toronto? Or will he wilt under the pressure?

I suspect that Kessel is the type who, if he isn't getting feeds worth his approval, willl make a stinky locker room.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:00 pm

Not to mention, that he will be playing with far inferior linemates in Toronto. He's clearly a very skilled kid, but he will undergo some growing pains with guys who are not named Savard or Krejci.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:04 pm

How will we know if he's crying because he's not getting Savard passes or his eyes are just watering from all the Toronto media up his ass?
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:34 pm

While Kessel probably won't get the same amount of goals this year he will get someone to play with, no reason why Burke can't get a guy next season to feed him. Like i said the only way this deal is in Boston's favor is if Toronto does poorly next year. Tho Bruins can move up i doubt anyone would pass on Taylor Hall.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:38 pm

forthewild wrote:
While Kessel probably won't get the same amount of goals this year he will get someone to play with, no reason why Burke can't get a guy next season to feed him. Like i said the only way this deal is in Boston's favor is if Toronto does poorly next year. Tho Bruins can move up i doubt anyone would pass on Taylor Hall.

I disagree...having those 3 high picks (in addition to the 2 they already have) will go along way in bringing in good prospects. Those picks don't HAVE to be lottery picks for them to hit pay dirt. MANY elite NHLers are picked in the bottom half of the 1st round. Not only that, but these picks are assets that could be used in a future trade.

Any way you look at it, Boston did not have the cap space to sign Kessel. They needed to move him for draft picks, and IMO, they did pretty well. MUCH better than Ottawa did in the Heatley trade, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Wild Fan #1

Wild Fan #1

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:05 pm

I'll just repeat what I said elsewhere:

I still would like to know how in the world Boston can be a "winner" right now, let alone by a "large margin". Boston is a team that is in a position to challenge for the Stanley Cup, but now they've lost their 21-year old leading goal scorer (and playoff performer I might add). And for what, three draft picks that might contribute 3-5 years down the road (unless they use them for a trade)? That's winning something? Value-wise, Boston may have a decent deal, but there's no way they can be winners at this point when their window of winning the Cup is open NOW. That window may be closed in 2014.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:08 pm

Wild Fan #1 wrote:
I'll just repeat what I said elsewhere:

I still would like to know how in the world Boston can be a "winner" right now, let alone by a "large margin". Boston is a team that is in a position to challenge for the Stanley Cup, but now they've lost their 21-year old leading goal scorer (and playoff performer I might add). And for what, three draft picks that might contribute 3-5 years down the road (unless they use them for a trade)? That's winning something? Value-wise, Boston may have a decent deal, but there's no way they can be winners at this point when their window of winning the Cup is open NOW. That window may be closed in 2014.

Not a whole lot they could do....they were up against the cap. They are still a very talented team and should still be battling for the top position in the Eastern conference when it's all said and done. Basically, this is the best deal they could've gotten under the circumstances. And I'll repeat what I said before; I'm not convinced that Kessel is as good as the numbers from last season indicate.
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
forthewild wrote:

I disagree...having those 3 high picks (in addition to the 2 they already have) will go along way in bringing in good prospects. Those picks don't HAVE to be lottery picks for them to hit pay dirt. MANY elite NHLers are picked in the bottom half of the 1st round. Not only that, but these picks are assets that could be used in a future trade.

Any way you look at it, Boston did not have the cap space to sign Kessel. They needed to move him for draft picks, and IMO, they did pretty well. MUCH better than Ottawa did in the Heatley trade, IMO.

Good point, but as the deal stands until they do something with those picks they didn't win this in my mind, mind you i'm not saying they did bad by any means they did good, but i would have moved someone like Bergeron to sign Kessel, young goal scorers don't just come around.
Back to top Go down
Wild Fan #1

Wild Fan #1

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Not a whole lot they could do....they were up against the cap. They are still a very talented team and should still be battling for the top position in the Eastern conference when it's all said and done. Basically, this is the best deal they could've gotten under the circumstances. And I'll repeat what I said before; I'm not convinced that Kessel is as good as the numbers from last season indicate.

No, there where was a lot they could have done. In fact, this loss was self-inflicted. This is exactly why I thought the Ryder signing last year was foolish. This year there was going to be major cap issues. And sure enough there was. Who would you rather have - Ryder at 4 million or Kessel at 5.4? Chiarelli made his own bed, and even armchair GMs could see the fire underneath it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who got raped on the Kessel deal?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next