Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Who got raped on the Kessel deal?

Go down 
+10
forthewild
Toewser
MuckandGrind
cehnehdeh
shmiddy
Velmeran
Wild_State_of_Hockey
TaLoN
00Xtremeninja
5hole
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
forthewild

forthewild

Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 pm

Wild Fan #1 wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:
Not a whole lot they could do....they were up against the cap. They are still a very talented team and should still be battling for the top position in the Eastern conference when it's all said and done. Basically, this is the best deal they could've gotten under the circumstances. And I'll repeat what I said before; I'm not convinced that Kessel is as good as the numbers from last season indicate.

No, there where was a lot they could have done. In fact, this loss was self-inflicted. This is exactly why I thought the Ryder signing last year was foolish. This year there was going to be major cap issues. And sure enough there was. Who would you rather have - Ryder at 4 million or Kessel at 5.4? Chiarelli made his own bed, and even armchair GMs could see the fire underneath it.

Yup, there was a ton they could have done, i'm not sure how popular the Morris signing was but my priority would have been to keep a young scorer, even if he benefited from having good centers those centers are still on your team, i agree the window is now, you don't lose a guy like this. Funny thing is next year Wheeler and Savard are up and need new contracts, going to be less attractive for Savard, you could even see him landing in Toronto.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Wild Fan #1 wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:
Not a whole lot they could do....they were up against the cap. They are still a very talented team and should still be battling for the top position in the Eastern conference when it's all said and done. Basically, this is the best deal they could've gotten under the circumstances. And I'll repeat what I said before; I'm not convinced that Kessel is as good as the numbers from last season indicate.

No, there where was a lot they could have done. In fact, this loss was self-inflicted. This is exactly why I thought the Ryder signing last year was foolish. This year there was going to be major cap issues. And sure enough there was. Who would you rather have - Ryder at 4 million or Kessel at 5.4? Chiarelli made his own bed, and even armchair GMs could see the fire underneath it.

Isn't is possible that the Bruins thought Kessel's numbers were a mirage, as I do? They never seemed overly concerned about getting him re-signed (note the quick signing of Krejci this summer?) If they REALLY wanted to get Kessel into the fold, don't you think they would've held off on signing Krejci? And there wasn't much floating around the rumor mill about them trying to move any players to make room for Kessel. I'm not sayin', I just sayin'....
Back to top Go down
forthewild

forthewild

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Wild Fan #1 wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

Isn't is possible that the Bruins thought Kessel's numbers were a mirage, as I do? They never seemed overly concerned about getting him re-signed (note the quick signing of Krejci this summer?) If they REALLY wanted to get Kessel into the fold, don't you think they would've held off on signing Krejci? And there wasn't much floating around the rumor mill about them trying to move any players to make room for Kessel. I'm not sayin', I just sayin'....

I don't think so, TSN was saying how Kessel and Boudrou had some issues seeing eye to eye, and maybe they felt the price was steep for him, he did have cancer and has mono which can keep him out of games. they may have also though that he'd sign for less. I don't think Kessel is a mirage, not many 21 year olds can put up those numbers no matter who plays with em, you can't teach scoring.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:29 pm

damn, burke has a major boner for kessel though, you could see this happening a mile away it seemed. i like how some GMs actively go for american players. CF seems to be about it too with siefers and irmen getting a real good look.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:29 pm

woops dbl
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:25 am

timotheuzi wrote:
damn, burke has a major boner for kessel though, you could see this happening a mile away it seemed. i like how some GMs actively go for american players. CF seems to be about it too with siefers and irmen getting a real good look.

I think Sifers is getting a look because he looks better than Scott, not because he was born in Connecticut....Irmen is only still here due to all the injuries, IMO....once everyone has healed up, I think he'll be sent back down.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:19 am

MuckandGrind wrote:
timotheuzi wrote:

I think Sifers is getting a look because he looks better than Scott, not because he was born in Connecticut....Irmen is only still here due to all the injuries, IMO....once everyone has healed up, I think he'll be sent back down.
It doesn't take much to look better than Scott.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:48 am

TaLoN wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:
timotheuzi wrote:

And yet... someone offered him a contract, which of course he was all too eager to sign.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

Velmeran wrote:
TaLoN wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:
timotheuzi wrote:

And yet... someone offered him a contract, which of course he was all too eager to sign.
But what's even worse... that contract was a one-way deal!? What was Lynn thinking?!!? :confused3:
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:58 am

TaLoN wrote:
Velmeran wrote:
TaLoN wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:
timotheuzi wrote:

But what's even worse... that contract was a one-way deal!? What was Lynn thinking?!!? :confused3:
I wanna keep my job, I better sign us another dman for 'cheap'! ? Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 599144
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Velmeran wrote:
I wanna keep my job, I better sign us another dman for 'cheap'! ? Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 599144
Yeah, the new guy in charge will be so thankful I did that, it will make his job so much earlier not having to worry about finding a physical D-man! I'll likely get a contract extension for my knowledge of player talent to go with my lowball negotiating abilities! cheers
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:10 pm

TaLoN wrote:
Velmeran wrote:
Yeah, the new guy in charge will be so thankful I did that, it will make his job so much earlier not having to worry about finding a physical D-man! I'll likely get a contract extension for my knowledge of player talent to go with my lowball negotiating abilities! cheers
See, it's easy to see why Lynn thought he was making a sound move. jocolor
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Velmeran wrote:
See, it's easy to see why Lynn thought he was making a sound move. jocolor
Yeah, it's even easier to see why he was fired! lol!
Back to top Go down
Fargocase

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:33 pm

I am not the least bit surpirsed that Kessel got two 1st and a 2nd. Boston obviously wasn't going to pull another Thornton deal - it appeared obvious to me that they were holding there cards tight and weren't going to panic. IMo people also way overestimate the value of a 1st, especially a mid/later 1st if Toronto turns it around, and I'm liking the look of Tor more and more all the time. Burke might be a fat-ass windbag, but IMO he's proven he can do an excllent job building a team.

1st rounders are a gamble. Kessel is a bird in the hand. One bird in the hand Kessel or three draft picks in the bush? I think the trade makes good sense for both teams. And big props to Boston for holding out until they got a good deal!
Back to top Go down
Jarick

Jarick

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:48 pm

I like the deal for both sides.

Boston gets three very high draft picks and should be very good long term.

Toronto gets a young and very skilled player to compliment their gritty lineup. A bit of a big payment, but I still like it.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Gotta give Burke some credit....he's got some guts and he went all in on this deal. If it works, he looks like a genius...if it doesn't, he'll have an awful mess on his hands.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
Gotta give Burke some credit....he's got some guts and he went all in on this deal. If it works, he looks like a genius...if it doesn't, he'll have an awful mess on his hands.
He can just blame the previous GM(s) for leaving him a bare cupboard.
Back to top Go down
shmiddy

shmiddy

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Velmeran wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

Laughing

and this: Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 599144 will have Swenny here in no time.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 3:37 pm

shmiddy wrote:
Velmeran wrote:
MuckandGrind wrote:

Laughing

and this: Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 599144 will have Swenny here in no time.
It's like a custom emoticon just for Swenny.

It's like his very own Swenny-Signal.

Now lets just hope Commissioner Gordan (Ninja) does take an axe to it Wink
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Saw this article linked on the WMB, no idea on how trustworthly / newsworthy the site is but figured it was worth discussion here, and it may lead to a new look at the Kessel deal.
Quote :
Kovalchuk in the sight of Chiarelli?
Some rumors from Boston say that Peter Chiarelli will do everything in his power to get Ilya Kovalchuk.

Indeed, the Bruins general manager has acquired two first-round pick and a second-round pick in the deal sending Phil Kessel to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

If the Atlanta Thrashers can not agree with their star player this season, they might be tempted to deal with the Bruins in order not to lose Kovalchuk for anything. (le Russe sera joueur autonome sans compensation dès le 1er juillet). (Russian will be an unrestricted free agent as of July 1).

Rumors say that Chiarelli ammunition to win over the Thrashers general manager Don Waddell. Avec plusieurs choix au repêchage alléchants et de nombreux jeunes joueurs talentueux, les Thrashers pourraient être tentés de transiger. With several draft picks attractive and many young talented players, the Thrashers might be tempted to compromise.

False rumor or reality?
*** Translated by Google Translate
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:25 pm

Velmeran wrote:
Saw this article linked on the WMB, no idea on how trustworthly / newsworthy the site is but figured it was worth discussion here, and it may lead to a new look at the Kessel deal.
Quote :
Kovalchuk in the sight of Chiarelli?
Some rumors from Boston say that Peter Chiarelli will do everything in his power to get Ilya Kovalchuk.

Indeed, the Bruins general manager has acquired two first-round pick and a second-round pick in the deal sending Phil Kessel to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

If the Atlanta Thrashers can not agree with their star player this season, they might be tempted to deal with the Bruins in order not to lose Kovalchuk for anything. (le Russe sera joueur autonome sans compensation dès le 1er juillet). (Russian will be an unrestricted free agent as of July 1).

Rumors say that Chiarelli ammunition to win over the Thrashers general manager Don Waddell. Avec plusieurs choix au repêchage alléchants et de nombreux jeunes joueurs talentueux, les Thrashers pourraient être tentés de transiger. With several draft picks attractive and many young talented players, the Thrashers might be tempted to compromise.

False rumor or reality?
*** Translated by Google Translate
Very, very, VERY interesting......Like I said before, I really like how the Bruins made out on this deal with Toronto, and if they manage to send those picks to Atlanta to get Kovalchuk....watch out!!!! bowdown
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:28 pm

wow!!! that would be massive for Boston.
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:31 pm

I'll believe it when I see it... How many times did we hear about Heatley going one place, and then another?
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:37 pm

TaLoN wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it... How many times did we hear about Heatley going one place, and then another?

Big difference. Heatley was under contract with a NTC attached. Kovalchuk is a pending UFA next summer...now I don't consider Don Waddell to be the brightest GM out there, but I have to think that he is a heckuva lot smarter than our former GM and if he can't get Ilya signed to an extension soon, at some point he'll come to realization that he can't just sit back and let his best player leave without getting anything in return. Right now, Boston has the assets most teams covet, multiple first and second round draft picks PLUS quality players on their roster and in their system they could package...At first glance, they seem to be in the best position to put together a package that would get Waddel's attention should he not get Kovaluchuk extended.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Well, again, how many times was Kovi rumored to be traded LAST season even? I'm not saying he won't be traded, but I am not going to jump at each rumor out there is all.

Hey, I may be proven wrong, but I'm just getting sceptical when it comes to Kovi trade rumors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who got raped on the Kessel deal?   Who got raped on the Kessel deal? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who got raped on the Kessel deal?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next