Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings

Go down 
+7
topshelf37
Velmeran
lolwat
Wild_State_of_Hockey
TaLoN
cehnehdeh
MuckandGrind
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Interesting that he has Gaborik ranked 50th and Havlat ranked 28th......

Quote :
By MIKE BROPHY, sportsnet.ca

1. Sidney Crosby

Please forgive Sid the Kid, as he is affectionately known in the hockey world, if you don't see many changes in his game this season. He simply hasn't had the time.

"I usually try to work on things in the summer, trying to bring new elements to my game, but because of the way the past two summers have gone, I really have only been able to get back to square one," the Stanley Cup champion told sportsnet.ca.

What he is referring to, of course, is the fact his Pittsburgh Penguins have gone to the final two years in a row, losing in six games to the Detroit Red Wings in 2007-08 before beating the Wings in seven just a few months ago. It has been all he can do to simply rest and recharge his batteries in the summer.

That's just fine with us. With a Hart Trophy and Stanley Cup to show for his efforts in his still very young career, Crosby is sportsnet.ca's choice as the No. 1 player in the National Hockey league. At just 22 years old Crosby has more than lived up to the hype that preceded him and has shown signs he can still take his game to an even higher level.

With 132 goals and 397 points in 290 regular-season games and 24 goals and 63 points in 49 playoff games, Crosby has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt he is a player for the ages. He made no bones about the fact he wanted to be the best player in the world prior to joining the NHL and he has achieved his goal. That said, Crosby says his attitude has altered somewhat.

"I think I try to be my best," he said, "and if that's where it puts me, that's great. If it doesn't, I'm still working hard to get better, but it's not just about that. It's about being the best that I can be."

Even though resting was his No. 1 priority in the off-season, it doesn't mean Crosby didn't put some thought into the pending campaign.

"I'd say my first priority is to shoot the puck more," he said.

Some would suggest he actually started to shoot more toward the end of last season. A wonderful playmaker, Crosby seemed to put the accent on passing ahead of shooting, at least until the playoffs rolled around. In the post-season, he led all goal-scorers with 15, up nine from the year before.

"I think I put it in my mind that I wasn't going to pass up good scoring opportunities," Crosby said. "I don't know if I actually shot more, I was just focused on making sure I didn't pass up good scoring chances. I take pride in being a good playmaker and making nice passes and hopefully giving guys good looks. As the season went on I tried to be a little bit smarter and didn't pass up some of the shots I passed on before."

The following is the rest of sportsnet.ca's Top 50 list. The list is based on what players have done in the past, but is mostly a reflection of how we think they will contribute to their teams this season.

2. Alexander Ovechkin

There is no denying Ovie is the most entertaining player in the NHL and a great ambassador for the sport, but what separates The Gr8 One from Sid the Kid is winning. Ovechkin has two Hart Trophies, but Sid's Stanley Cup trumps it. To win, Ovechkin needs to use his teammates better in the crunch and not try to do it all himself.

3. Evgeni Malkin

I used to wonder about this guy's passion, but no longer. Malkin showed in last season's playoffs he is a player who can be counted on, the perfect No. 2 for the NHL's best 1-2 punch. He was involved in 43.8 per cent of his team's goals last season, tops in the NHL.

4.Roberto Luongo

Armed with a new lifetime contract, captain Luongo will set out to prove he is the NHL's best stopper and the right man to lead his country to Olympic gold. General manager Mike Gillis has done a nice job surrounding Luongo with talent; now it's up to him to prove he's worthy of the big bucks.

5.Ryan Getzlaf

The old joke was Getzlaf could be as good as he wants to be, so why isn't he as good as Wayne Gretzky? The reality is this guy is the NHL's best power forward and the Anaheim Ducks are now his team.

6. Pavel Datsyuk

One goal in 16 playoff games is downright frightening. But Datsyuk should easily bounce back to the form that saw him lead the Red Wings in scoring during the regular season. He remains one of the league's best two-way threats.

7. Henrik Zetterberg

When Datsyuk faltered in the post-season, Zetterberg stepped up to the plate. That said, playing two more games than he did the year before, Zetterberg registered 19 fewer points. That trend must change.

8. Jarome Iginla

Can a player actually finish eighth in league scoring and have an off-year? Yes and no. There is no denying Iginla remains a dynamic power forward, but he suffered through some nasty dry spells in terms of scoring goals. He'll need to find his consistency if the Flames are to rise in the West.

9. Zdeno Chara

You won't find Chara among the NHL's elite scoring defenceman (he finished 12th with 50 points last season), but he is the league's best combination of offence, defence and toughness along the blue line. The Bruins took a giant step toward respectability last season with Chara leading the way.

10. Chris Pronger

Can you think of a more proper setting for the NHL's nastiest player than the City of Brotherly Love? Pronger showed in last season's playoffs he has plenty left in the tank. A great first-pass player, Pronger could benefit by using his skating skills more, just to keep the opposition on their toes.

11. Zach Parise

The NHL's fifth leading scorer last season improved by 29 points over the year before. Question is, will new coach Jacques Lemaire suck the life out of Parise's offensive game with his defence-first strategy?

12. Cam Ward

The Carolina netminder was the NHL's best goalie in the second half of last season and will now be charged with trying to put a halt to his team's history of good year/bad year/good year/bad year ...

13. Daniel Sedin

On a team poised to take the next step, Daniel's consistency will be a key component in taking the Canucks deep into the playoffs.

14. Vinny Lecavalier

Given the soap opera that was the Tampa Bay Lightning's 2008-09 season, Lecavalier can be forgiven for slipping from seventh in NHL scoring to 43rd. This is a new year and Lecavalier must shake off the bad year and get back to being a dominant scorer.

15. Eric Staal

The oldest of the four Staal brothers popped 40 goals last season and looks primed to take his place among the best scoring forwards in the game.

16. Dany Heatley

His popularity took a massive hit after he insisted the Ottawa Senators trade him, but Heatley remains one of the NHL's most potent goal scorers and he should return to form skating on a line with Joe Thornton in San Jose. Heatley should be in contention for the Rocket Richard Trophy.

17. Miikka Kiprusoff

Despite leading the NHL with 45 wins last season, Kiprusoff ranked 32nd in goals-against average (2.84) and save percentage (.903). Improved play from those who skate in front of him will go a long way in improving those numbers.

18. Henrik Lundqvist

Averaging 36 wins a year since joining the NHL four seasons ago, Lundqvist is unquestionably one of the game's best and most consistent stoppers. But he needs help.

19. Jeff Carter

Second in goal scoring with 46 last season, Carter rewarded the Flyers for holding onto him rather than trading him to Toronto for Tomas Kaberle.

20. Jay Bouwmeester

Never mind he has yet to participate in an NHL playoff game, Bouwmeester established himself as one of the game's top two-way defencemen under trying circumstances. He hasn't even begun to hit his prime.

21. Marc Savard

Can't blame this guy for being upset at being snubbed by Team Canada. He has finished ninth in league scoring in three of the past four seasons and deserves more recognition for his efforts. He went from minus-19 two years ago to plus-25 last season.

22. Marian Hossa

Assuming he bounces back from a shoulder injury that hampered his play in last year's playoffs, Hossa is a horse that makes players around him better and he should be a top 10 scorer.

23. Daniel Alfredsson

With the foundation of the team crumbling around him, Alfredsson remains the voice of reason in Ottawa and a damn fine two-way star as well.

24. Jonathan Toews

One of the league's brightest young stars, Toews is trending upward in goals, points and leadership.

25. Ilya Kovalchuk

A one-dimensional scoring ace on an otherwise awful team needs both support and a better understanding of how to play a more complete game to reach his potential. Otherwise he'll remain a novelty act.

26. Martin St-Louis

There isn't a better corner man in the NHL. With all the nonsense going on around him, St-Louis still managed a pretty good year with 30 goals and a team-leading 80 points. He is the perfect candidate to skate with Crosby in the Olympics.

27. Nicklas Lidstrom

Age is starting to catch up to Lidstrom, but he remains one of the best scoring threats from the blue line and looks like he could play comfortably for two or three more years.

28. Martin Havlat

One of the league's most exciting players, Havlat will be motivated to produce this season to prove the Blackhawks were nuts for letting him walk.

29. Nicklas Backstrom

Ovechkin gets most of the ink when it comes to the Caps, but Backstrom is proving himself to be a perfect sidekick who could reach the 100-point plateau this season.

30. Evgeni Nabakov

Just like teammate Joe Thornton, the pressure is on for Nabokov to translate regular season success into playoff heroics. If it doesn't happen this season, changes may be in store in San Jose.

31. Henrik Sedin

A career-high 143 shots led to a career-best 22 goals and an elevation in Sedin's overall game. No reason to think he can't score 30 if he puts his mind to it.

32. Rick Nash

There is no denying this kid's offensive prowess, but like Kovalchuk, he needs to be more of a complete player if the Blue Jackets are to be a serious threat in the Western Conference.

33. Alexander Semin

This kid has the skill and potential to challenge Ovechkin for the Rocket Richard Trophy and his rise from minus-18 to plus-25 suggests he's becoming more of a team player.

34. Tim Thomas

Having transformed himself from minor-league journeyman to NHL star, Thomas must still prove he can be counted on at the most crucial time of the season - in the playoffs.

35. Mike Green

There are few players who are as much fun to watch as Green, especially when he is rushing the puck. But the wheels came off in the playoffs when he had just one goal in 14 games. A word of caution: If you want to show up with a goofy playoff haircut, you need to play better.

36. Shae Weber

If there is one player capable of flying up this list this season, it is the Predators defenceman who only lacks recognition because he plays in a hockey wasteland.

37. Ales Hemsky

Few will deny Hemsky is one of the most gifted players in the NHL, but if the Oilers are to take the next step, he'll have to take his game to the next level.

38. Bobby Ryan

It was a while coming, but Ryan established himself as a bona fide scoring threat on what just might be the best line in the NHL along with Getzlaf and Corey Perry.

39. Marc-Andre Fleury

So much for the 'can't win the big one' tag. Fleury played a huge role in Pittsburgh's upset of the Red Wings in the Cup final, particularly in Game 7 on the road.

40. Mike Richards

This guy excels in all facets of the game, but is particularly strong on special teams where he has 16 power play and 12 shorthanded goals in the past two seasons.

41. Joe Thornton

You know the deal - great regular season player who disappears in the playoffs. If Thornton manages 200 points this season, it won't mean squat unless he produces in the spring.

42. Thomas Vanek

The NHL's best Austrian-born scoring ace has managed to continue to light it up even as his team has slid down the standings. Imagine how lethal he'd be if he had a play-making centre on his line?

43. Jason Spezza

Despite playing six more games last season than he did the year before, Spezza finished with 19 fewer points and now he won't have sharp-shooter Dany Heatley skating on his line. One can only hope Jonathan Cheechoo rediscovers his scoring touch.

44. Shane Doan

Despite the soap opera that is the Phoenix Coyotes, Doan remains a consistent scorer and solid two-way player as well as a cherished leader on a team of mostly youngsters.

45. Dion Phaneuf

After three solid seasons that had many believing he'd be a solid candidate to win the Norris Trophy, Phaneuf took a significant step backward last season. He was neither as physical nor as productive as he was in his first three NHL seasons. There is no reason to believe Phaneuf won't have a bounce-back year this season.

46. Johan Franzen

With 25 goals in his past 39 playoff games, it is easy to understand how The Mule has supplanted Tomas Holmstrom as the Red Wings' net presence on the power play. At six-foot-three and 220 pounds he is nearly impossible to move and he has hands of gold.

47. Corey Perry

Coming off a career year with 32 goals and 72 points, Perry has shown the skill and tenacity needed to be a top 10 scorer in the NHL. His role continues to grow on a team that shouldn't slide despite the loss of Pronger and Francois Beauchemin.

48. Martin Brodeur

Wonder if new/old coach Jacques Lemaire will finally be the one who reduces Brodeur's workload in the regular season? The future Hall of Famer's play has dipped the past few years in the playoffs.

49. Scott Niedermayer

Although his defensive zone play has slipped in recent years, Niedermayer is still regarded as one of the best offensive defencemen in the game as well as a great puck rusher.

50. Marian Gaborik

It is going to be interesting to see if Gaborik is able to take advantage of playing for a coach, John Tortorella, who allows his players to use their creativity.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:11 pm

I'll admit he's being quite a bit of a Canucks homer there...
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Quote :
4.Roberto Luongo

Ya think?!? Laughing
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:13 pm

The only reason Gabby is 50 and Havlat is 28th is due to last season alone. Havlat played the entire year and scored 77pts. Gabby played less than 20 games and scored 23pts.

Had this list been made last year it would look differently, Gabby coming off a 77game 83pt season.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

Yup, there it is. lol!
Back to top Go down
Wild_State_of_Hockey

Wild_State_of_Hockey

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:26 pm

31. Henrik Sedin

33. Alexander Semin

37. Ales Hemsky

38. Bobby Ryan

44. Shane Doan

46. Johan Franzen

47. Corey Perry

Injury issues aside, how these players are rated above Gaborik is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hockeyfanfaceoff.com
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:30 pm

Like I said, this list is purely based on last season, they did not take previous years into account from the looks of it.
Back to top Go down
Wild_State_of_Hockey

Wild_State_of_Hockey

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Also Tim Thomas being on this list for having one good season as a goalie when Backstrom has had 3 outstanding seasons (and is not included on this list) is pathetic too.

Last edited by Wild_State_of_Hockey on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.hockeyfanfaceoff.com
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:16 pm

heh, opinion lists never go over well do they?
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:42 pm

TaLoN wrote:
Like I said, this list is purely based on last season, they did not take previous years into account from the looks of it.

But if its based on statistics, how did Kiprusoff make the top 20? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:46 pm

lolwat wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

sportsnet.ca bias facepalm
Back to top Go down
lolwat

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:51 pm

Velmeran wrote:
lolwat wrote:
TaLoN wrote:

sportsnet.ca bias facepalm

True. I guess I didn't read it entirely accurate as other players are in high spots that didn't have GREAT seasons last year(Lecavalier, and why are the Sedins 18 spots apart?).
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:57 pm

THN has Havlat ranked 41st and Gaborik 42nd.
Back to top Go down
cehnehdeh

cehnehdeh

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:58 pm

IF Gabby can string together a couple of healthy seasons he undoubtably would crack most peoples top 15-20 lists.
Back to top Go down
Velmeran

Velmeran

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:04 pm

cehnehdeh wrote:
IF Gabby can string together a couple of healthy seasons he undoubtably would crack most peoples top 15-20 lists.
Yep, and Wild fans have said that forever now; question/problem is, can he stay healthy for a couple of seasons in a row?
Back to top Go down
topshelf37

topshelf37

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Also funny how they state that Lemaire's defensive system is a change for Parise and might impact his numbers. Didn't he already play under a defensive system in NJ?
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:07 pm

Actually, Sutter gave them more freedom than I think Lemaire will.
Back to top Go down
topshelf37

topshelf37

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:11 pm

But why fix something that isn't broken?
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:15 pm

topshelf37 wrote:

Exactly....I agree. It doesn't NEED to be fixed. However, I don't think Jacques will let them play the way that Sutter did...he can't, it's not in his nature....Lemaire will attempt to "fix" them, you'll see.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:42 pm

cehnehdeh wrote:
He would even have a shot at top 10's to be honest. The guy is a goal scoring machine when healthy!
Back to top Go down
topshelf37

topshelf37

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:10 pm

MuckandGrind wrote:
topshelf37 wrote:

Exactly....I agree. It doesn't NEED to be fixed. However, I don't think Jacques will let them play the way that Sutter did...he can't, it's not in his nature....Lemaire will attempt to "fix" them, you'll see.
If this is the case, I feel for Zach. What a talent.
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Gonna miss watching Gabby in a Wild uni for sure... Sad
Back to top Go down
Toewser

Toewser

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Ditto that my brother.
Back to top Go down
MuckandGrind

MuckandGrind

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:30 pm

I'm already over Gaborik.....would I like to have seen him re-signed? Of course, but it seemed pretty obvious to me that he wanted out of town and if a player doesn't want to be here, I don't want him here, either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings   Sportsnet.ca  - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sportsnet.ca - Mike Brophy's Top 50 Player Rankings
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next