Minnesota Hockey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired Of The Old Message Boards? Want A Format That Works? An Admin Team That Listens? Welcome Home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread

Go down 
+14
Quisp
DougRiser
timotheuzi
wukwinn
OldTimeHockey
Wild_State_of_Hockey
BackStopBabe
Dee Oh Cee
CJayWild
Toewser
zamboni14
Kevin W
00Xtremeninja
TaLoN
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
TaLoN

TaLoN

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 11:28 pm

And still more...

Meet the Vikings draft picks
Posted by Judd Zulgad
Last update: April 24, 2010 - 5:11 PM

Here's a look at the Vikings 2010 draft class

2. (34) Chris Cook, CB, Virginia -- Has size to play safety (6-2, 212 pounds) but Vikings will keep him at corner. Likely will be a backup to start season. I'd expected Antoine Winfield and Lito Sheppard will start while Cedric Griffin recovers from his ACL injury.

2. (51) Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford -- Likely will win role as Adrian Peterson's primary backup.

4. (100) Everson Griffen, DE, Southern Cal -- Gives Vikings depth on left side, especially if Ray Edwards leaves as free agent following the 2010 season. Griffen has the ability but most prove he has the maturity to play at the NFL level.

5. (161) Chris DeGeare, OL, Wake Forest -- Most comfortable at guard but can play tackle and will vie for a top backup role.

5. (167) Nate Triplett, LB, Minnesota -- Will compete for a special-teams role. Expects to begin training camp as a middle linebacker on the depth chart.

6. (199) Joe Webb, QB, UAB -- Nearly certain to move to wide receiver. He has experience at that position and could be a big-time threat in a Wildcat formation.

7. (214) Mickey Shuler, TE, Penn State -- Gives Vikings depth at this position and could be eventual replacement for veteran Jim Kleinsasser. First, however, he has to make the roster. Might spend year on practice squad.

7. (237) Ryan D'Imperio,FB, Rutgers -- D'Imperio just said the Vikings drafted him as a fullback, although he played linebacker in college. He said he played fullback in high school.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 11:38 pm

More...

Fuel for a depth charge
Through the draft, the Vikings placed a premium on creating competition at several key positions.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune
Last update: April 24, 2010 - 10:26 PM

VIKINGS DAY 3 PICKS
EVERSON GRIFFEN
Fourth round (100th overall), DE, USC

CHRIS DEGEARE
Fifth round (161st), OL, Wake Forest

NATE TRIPLETT
Fifth round (167th), LB, Gophers

JOE WEBB
Sixth round (199th), WR, UAB

MICKEY SHULER SEVENTH ROUND (214TH), TE, PENN STATE
RYAN D'IMPERIO
Seventh round (237th), FB, Rutgers

A year ago, the Vikings selected five players in the NFL draft who all not only made the 53-man roster but started at least one game. Contributions ranged from first-round wide receiver Percy Harvin being named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year to seventh-round safety Jamarca Sanford's steady improvement throughout the season.

It's a safe bet the Vikings won't see the same results from their 2010 draft class -- although no one at Winter Park is fretting over this. For one thing, this year's draft, which concluded its seven-round, three-day run Saturday, yielded three more picks than last year for the Vikings. For another, the team is hoping the infusion of players will increase competition and cause tough decisions when it comes to the 53-man roster.

"When you compete, the best guy wins," coach Brad Childress said Saturday afternoon at Winter Park shortly after the draft had concluded. "If somebody has to go, you've validated yourself because there's been some competition and you've got a better guy there. That's kind of the nature of our beast. We put a premium on guys competing. It's not always that way because some guys look at it and say, 'Ah, I got my position sewed up. Nobody's going to push me.' I mean, that's what I like about our guys."

The Vikings added six players Saturday during rounds 4 through 7, after taking Virginia cornerback Chris Cook and Stanford running back Toby Gerhart with second-round picks Friday. They had dealt their first-round selection in a trade with Detroit on Thursday and sent their third-rounder to Houston on Friday in order to move up to get Gerhart.

While Cook and Gerhart are sure bets to stick -- both play positions that the Vikings believed they needed to address by adding depth -- Saturday's six additions include a few players who might have to overcome the odds. The Vikings, using one of the picks obtained from the Lions, took Southern California defensive end Everson Griffen with the second pick of the fourth round. Griffen was considered to have first-round talent but has proven to be an enigmatic player who can look great in one game and disappear in the next.

"He's a very talented player," said Rick Spielman, Vikings vice president of player personnel. "The biggest negative was sometimes his motor didn't rev all the time. But when you watch the Notre Dame game, for example, he had three sacks that game. This guy can play against the run, he can rush the passer. A lot of 3-4 teams also looked at him as a potential 3-4 outside linebacker just because he's so athletic."

Griffen, who can play either end or move inside on passing downs, provides potential insurance, too, if Ray Edwards departs as a free agent after next season.

Wake Forest offensive lineman Chris DeGeare, whom the Vikings selected with the first of two fifth-round picks, will get every chance to win a backup job because he can play both guard and tackle and could replace Artis Hicks, who left via free agency.

Those who will have to really stand out in order to make it include Gophers linebacker Nate Triplett (fifth round), Alabama-Birmingham wide receiver Joe Webb (sixth round), Penn State tight end Mickey Shuler (seventh round) and Rutgers fullback Ryan D'Imperio (seventh round). Webb and D'Imperio will be asked to move positions with Webb shifting from quarterback and D'Imperio from linebacker. They will get their first chance to make an impression when the Vikings hold a three-day rookie minicamp next weekend at Winter Park.

"I know a lot of the guys that we took down there [in the later rounds] were guys that had some kind of unique traits," Spielman said. "Some kind of athletic trait that were also very good football players who had a lot of passion for the game. Those are the kind of qualities that we want here, that's the kind of qualities that Coach Childress has said he wanted here. So a lot of those guys when we got into those later rounds fit the type of people and also the type of players that we want in our organization."

One of the most important factors the Vikings were looking for in the later rounds were players who could contribute immediately on special teams.

"When we start to come down the board, you can say, 'Well, he's the best this or he's the best that.' But you want to know how well-rounded is he?" Childress said of the thought process. "Has he ever played on special teams? Do we think he's got an aptitude to play on special teams? Has he contributed? Rick gives them a special-teams grade. So, yeah, you can't just be a one-dimensional guy when you only have 45 guys on the roster. You can't just be a one-spot guy."
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 11:09 pm

From the Strib...

Talented yet tainted QB given tryout

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 1vike0426notes

By JUDD ZULGAD and CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune staff writers
Last update: April 26, 2010 - 12:00 AM

The Vikings have agreed to take a look at a quarterback with big-time talent but plenty of baggage this weekend during their three-day rookie camp.

Ryan Perrilloux, a one-time star recruit at Louisiana State who was kicked off the team in May 2008 and finished his collegiate career at Jacksonville State, is expected to be at Winter Park beginning Friday for a tryout. The Vikings released a list of 10 undrafted players who had agreed to terms on Saturday, but they do not announce those who are being given tryouts.

There is no denying Perrilloux's talents -- some scouts considered him the best pure thrower in this draft class -- and the Vikings are willing to bring him in despite his past issues. One logical connection is that Perrilloux's agent is Bus Cook, who also represents quarterback Brett Favre. Favre hasn't announced if he will return in 2010.

Perrilloux, a native of LaPlace, La., reportedly was dismissed from LSU's national title team by Les Miles after having tested positive for marijuana, skipping classes, missing a team meeting and arriving late for conditioning workouts. He had been suspended from the team at least twice before that, including in October 2007 when he was among those involved in a fight at a Baton Rouge, La., nightclub.

Perrilloux, who was immediately eligible to play for Jacksonville State in 2008, passed for 2,318 yards and 19 touchdowns in his first season at the school in Jacksonville, Ala. He ran into trouble again early in 2009 and was suspended for the season opener for violating team rules.

Perrilloux rebounded to be selected as an All-America quarterback after throwing for 2,345 yards and 23 touchdowns with only two interceptions. He also was named Ohio Valley Conference Offensive Player of the Year.

Ex-Gophers get a shot

Former Gophers Marcus Sherels and Barrett Moen also will attend the Vikings rookie camp on a tryout basis. Sherels, a Rochester native, is a cornerback and Moen, a Bloomington native, will work at defensive end after playing defensive tackle in college.

The Vikings were well-represented at the Gophers' pro day in March with VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman, coach Brad Childress and other team executives and coaches in attendance. It's likely Sherels caught their attention.

He was timed between 4.37 and 4.41 seconds in the 40-yard dash, had a 40-inch vertical jump, a standing broad jump of 10 feet, 2 inches and was timed between 4.03 and 4.09 in the shuttle run. His 40 time, vertical jump and shuttle times would have put him among the top three cornerbacks at the NFL scouting combine.

Sherels, slowed by shoulder and ankle injuries during his junior and senior seasons, also had increased his weight 14 pounds to 175 by March. "This is a great opportunity," Sherels said. "Any time you can try to play at the highest level of football, it doesn't get any better than that."

Sherels hopes to impress the Vikings with his play at corner and also by returning punts.

"I want to show them that I can also play special teams and that although I might be undersized (5-11, 175 pounds), I have speed and quickness that make up for it," he said.

Etc.
• Former Gophers defensive tackle Garrett Brown signed as an undrafted free agent with Kansas City, tight end Nick Tow-Arnett signed with Dallas and cornerback Traye Simmons signed with San Diego. Nick's brother, former Gophers center Jeff Tow-Arnett, will get a tryout with Tampa Bay.
Back to top Go down
timotheuzi

timotheuzi

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm

I don't know about this draft, they might have reached on Cook. They should have traded that 2nd round pick to somebody and still gotten Cook. I like Gerhart a lot, he will be an awesome 1-2 punch with AP. I almost think it will work out better than with Chester. However, it sucks that they gave up their 3rd round pick in this deep of a draft to get him...
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 8:21 pm

From the Strib...

Perrilloux working with Favre

Posted by Judd Zulgad
Last update: April 29, 2010 - 8:40 AM

A reader was kind enough to alert us to this story via Twitter and it's interesting on two fronts.

Television station WWLT in Louisiana recently ran a short feature on quarterback Ryan Perrilloux. Perrilloux received a tryout invitiation to the Vikings' three-day rookie camp that opens on Friday at Winter Park. As we wrote in an earlier blog, Perrilloux has had his share of problems and was even kicked off the LSU football team in spring 2008, forcing him to finish his collegiate career at Jacksonville (Alabama) State.

What's interesting about the video is it shows Perrilloux getting pointers from Brett Favre while standing outside a football field. Was Favre working out, too? The station did not show that. Keep in mind, Favre's friend and former quarterback's coach Steve Mariucci recently said Favre was having issues bouncing back from the ankle injury he suffered in the Vikings' loss to New Orleans in the NFC title game.

But if Favre is able to do some drills that would be good news for the Vikings, who are hoping he comes back. (I know, I know, we all think Favre's going to return but it's April 29 and I'm not about to turn down a Brett Favre update.)

Favre and Perrilloux are both represented by Mississippi-based agent Bus Cook, so it's not a surprise Favre would be helping a Cook client.

"It' s definitely a great opportunity just to play football again and do something I love to do," Perrilloux told WWLT. "Be around a great bunch of guys. Being out here with Brett. Just an opportunity to go out and learn and suck up as much knowledge as I possibly [can]."

* The Vikings have announced the dates for their Organized Team Activities. They will be May 18-21; May 24-27; June 1-4; and June 7-8. The team previously announced its mandatory minicamp would be June 11-13. None of the OTAs or minicamp practices are open to the public.
* New York Giants punter Jeff Feagles is expected to announce his retirement on Friday. Feagles has played in an NFL record 352 consecutive regular-season games. Favre has played in 285 consecutive regular-season games, the record for a position player.
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 4:40 pm

The local media spending their time showing LIVE fooking coverage of the plane landing with Favre in it.

Seriously?!

Yeah, they need him. But come on!!!!! Live coverage of THIS?
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 4:57 pm

ahahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
https://minnesotahockey.forumotion.com
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Dude just wants to steal the thunder from the Twins/White Sux series. cheers
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 4:28 am

Randy Moss could be back in his Purple #84 as soon as today!

A receiving corp of Moss/Rice/Harvin with Peterson in the backfield could be deadly! Make it happen Vikes!
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 9:20 am

The deal is done! Moss to the Vikes for a 3rd rounder....

Superbowl Homeboy!
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 9:56 am

^^just gotta make sure Grandpa throws to him and not the other team.

although i will be pulling for the Queens this week. Fuck the Jets.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 am

Moss opens things up so much more for Harvin, Shancoe and Peterson it's crazy! Plus, Moss is the type of guy... you don't need the pass spot on, he's so good he gets it as long as it's close.
Back to top Go down
Kevin W
Admin
Kevin W

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 11:59 am

And now Father Time fulfills his 2007 wish in full! Womp womp womp.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:05 pm

you know Favre has been pushing the coaches to do it this week. he prolly threatened to retire early if they didn't push for Moss or someone.
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 4:03 pm

This is hilarious... the Vikes trade a 3rd, and get Moss and a 2012 7th rounder in return! We actually get a pick coming back too! Laughing
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 am

Not burning that Moss jersey turned out to be a good thing. lol! Good news, kids! This could mean that we get Gabby back for free in the next 5-10 years! cheers
Back to top Go down
TaLoN

TaLoN

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 12:33 am

It took 5yrs to get Moss back, so we got another 4 to wait for Gaborik...
Back to top Go down
Jagged Ice

Jagged Ice

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Can we get Gaborik now!!
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Players got to find a way to kill time, since the game is being delayed. Someone better hide #4's phone!
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Are the Vikes aware that there is a game tonight?
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 10:46 pm

they better step it the fuck up. Fuck the Jets and I would love for this to be the tiebreaker between Miami and New York. "well, Miami did beat the Vikings, so they get to the playoffs. better luck next time New York"
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 11:28 pm

Well THAT was cool. He throws his 500th career TD pass to Moss, and then jumps in his arms.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 am

he also threw what career INT tonight?
Back to top Go down
OldTimeHockey

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 12:28 am

Dude is done. Stick a fork in him. That throw was uglier than the pics he texted.
Back to top Go down
00Xtremeninja
Admin
00Xtremeninja

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 am

lol, and how many of the Purple Nation thought it was going to be SB bound? 1-4...ouch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread   *Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread - Page 13 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

*Official* Minnesota Vikings Thread
Page 13 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next